Having to pay for pricey insurance in Charleston can dwindle your savings account and make it tough to pay other bills. Doing a rate analysis is a smart way to ensure you are getting the best deal.
A recent study showed that about 70% of customers kept buying from the same company for at least the last four years, and nearly the majority have never quoted rates to find lower-cost coverage. American drivers could pocket roughly $860 a year just by getting comparison quotes, but most tend to underestimate the rate savings if they moved their coverage to a different company.
You have multiple car insurance companies to buy insurance from, and although it's a good thing to be able to choose, having more insurers makes it harder to locate the cheapest rates for Chevy Cruze insurance in Charleston.
Consumers need to price shop coverage on a regular basis because prices go up and down regularly. If you had the best deal on Chevy Cruze insurance in Charleston last year other companies may now be cheaper. Block out anything you think you know about insurance because we're going to demonstrate the easiest way to eliminate unnecessary coverages and save money on Chevy Cruze insurance in Charleston.
The intent of this article is to help educate you on how to compare rates easily and some money-saving tips. If you currently have a car insurance policy, you should be able to buy cheaper car insurance using the following tips. Although South Carolina vehicle owners can benefit by having an understanding of how the larger insurance companies determine prices.
Discounts mean cheaper rates for Chevy Cruze insurance in Charleston
Insuring your vehicles can cost a lot, but there may be some discounts that you may not know about. Some discounts will apply at the time of purchase, but a few must be requested specifically in order for you to get them. If you do not double check each discount you qualify for, you may be paying too high a price.
- Onboard Data Collection - Drivers who elect to allow data collection to study driving patterns by installing a telematics device such as Progressive's Snapshot and State Farm's In-Drive might get better premium rates if they are good drivers.
- Air Bag Discount - Options like air bags or motorized seat belts may get savings of up to 25% or more.
- College Student - Older children who live away from home at college and do not have a car can receive lower rates.
- Accident Waiver - Not a discount per se, but companies like State Farm and Progressive will allow you to have one accident before they charge you more for coverage if you have no claims prior to being involved in the accident.
- Savings for New Vehicles - Buying a new car model can save up to 30% because new vehicles keep occupants safer.
- Theft Deterrent System - Anti-theft and alarm system equipped vehicles are stolen less frequently and that can save you a little bit as well.
- Switch and Save Discount - A few insurance companies allow discounts for signing up prior to your current Cruze insurance policy expiring. It could save around 10% when you buy Charleston car insurance online.
- Pay Now and Pay Less - By paying your policy upfront rather than paying in monthly installments you could save 5% or more.
- Organization Discounts - Belonging to a civic or occupational organization in Charleston can get you a small discount on your next renewal.
It's important to understand that most of the big mark downs will not be given the the whole policy. Most only cut the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. If you do the math and it seems like you could get a free car insurance policy, it doesn't quite work that way.
Larger car insurance companies and some of their more popular discounts include:
- Progressive discounts include multi-vehicle, online signing, multi-policy, good student, and homeowner.
- The Hartford may offer discounts for good student, anti-theft, driver training, bundle, defensive driver, and air bag.
- Mercury Insurance has savings for good driver, accident-free, ease of repair, age of vehicle, and type of vehicle.
- GEICO includes discounts for five-year accident-free, daytime running lights, membership and employees, anti-theft, driver training, anti-lock brakes, and emergency military deployment.
- AAA has discounts for education and occupation, multi-policy, pay-in-full, multi-car, and good student.
- State Farm offers premium reductions for passive restraint, defensive driving training, multiple autos, good student, safe vehicle, and good driver.
When getting free Charleston car insurance quotes, it's a good idea to each company to give you their best rates. A few discounts may not apply in every state. To see a list of providers with discount car insurance rates in South Carolina, click here to view.
Just remember that getting more free quotes will improve the odds of getting a lower rate than you're paying now.
The companies in the list below offer price quotes in South Carolina. If the list has multiple companies, we suggest you click on several of them to get the most competitive price.
Why You Might Pay Higher Rates in Charleston
It's important that you understand some of the factors that help determine the price you pay for insurance. If you have a feel for what controls the rates you pay, this enables informed choices that can earn you big savings.
The following are some of the items insurance companies consider when setting your rate level.
- Big city or small town - Being located in a rural area can be a good thing when talking about insurance. Drivers in populated areas tend to have more road rage incidents and longer commute times. Fewer drivers and short commutes means fewer accidents as well as less vandalism and auto theft.
- Claim-free discounts can add up - If you file claims often, don't be surprised to see higher premiums or even policy non-renewal. Insurance companies in South Carolina give discounts to insureds who are not frequent claim filers. Auto insurance is intended for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- How much liability protection do you need? - Your policy's liability coverage will protect you if ever you are found to be at fault for causing personal injury or damage in an accident. Liability insurance provides for a legal defense to attempt to prove you were not liable. Liability is cheap compared to other policy coverages, so do not cut corners here.
- Marriage discount - Having a spouse helps lower the price on your insurance bill. It translates into being more stable financially and insurance companies like that being married results in fewer claims.
- Lower insurance rates with alarms and GPS tracking - Choosing a vehicle with a theft deterrent system can earn a premium discount. Advanced theft deterrents such as OnStar, LoJack tracking, and tamper alarms help track and prevent your vehicle from being stolen.
- Chevy Cruze insurance loss data - Auto insurance companies use historical loss data to help calculate a profitable premium price. Models that statistically have higher prevalence or dollar amount of losses will be charged more to insure.
The next table shows the historical insurance loss data for Chevy Cruze vehicles. For each coverage category, the statistical loss for all vehicles, as a total average, is set at 100. Values that are under 100 suggest a positive loss record, while numbers above 100 indicate frequent claims or statistically larger claims.
Chevrolet Cruze Insurance Loss Statistics
Vehicle Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Chevrolet Cruze 96 132 87 136 153 152
Statistics from IIHS.org for 2013-2015 Model Years
Local Charleston car insurance agents
Certain consumers would rather have an agent's advice and that is a smart decision An additional benefit of comparing insurance prices online is you can get cheap rate quotes but still work with a licensed agent. Buying from and supporting small agencies is still important in Charleston.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this quick form, your information gets sent to participating agents in Charleston who will give you bids for your insurance coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won't have to search for an agent since rate quotes are delivered immediately to you. You can most likely find cheaper rates and an insurance agent to talk to. In the event you want to get a comparison quote from a particular provider, don't hesitate to go to their quote page and give them your coverage information.
Exclusive or Independent: There is a difference
If you need to find a reliable insurance agent, you must know there are a couple types of agencies and how they function. Agents can be categorized as either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive).
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agencies do not sell for just one brand and that gives them the ability to insure amongst many companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If they quote lower rates, they simply move the coverage in-house and you don't have to find a new agent.
If you need lower rates, you will want to compare quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to get the most accurate price comparison.
The following are Charleston independent insurance agencies who may provide price quotes.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agents
Agents of this type have only one company to place business with such as Farmers Insurance or State Farm. They generally cannot compare other company's rates so it's a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive agents are well schooled on their company's products which aids in selling service over price.
The following are Charleston exclusive insurance agents that are able to give comparison quotes.
Choosing the best auto insurance agent should depend on more than just a low price. The answers to these questions are important, too.
- If independent agents, which companies do they recommend?
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in South Carolina?
- Will their companies depreciate repairs to your car based on the mileage?
- Does their agency support local causes in Charleston?
- How much will you save each year by using a higher deductible?
- Are claims handled at the agent's location?
- What insurance companies do they work with in Charleston?
Upon receiving good feedback to these questions as well as offering an affordable quote, you have narrowed it down to an insurance agent that will properly insure your vehicles.
Choosing Chevy Cruze insurance is an important decision
Even though it's not necessarily cheap to insure a Chevy in Charleston, insuring your vehicle serves an important purpose.
- Just about all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a specific minimum amount of liability protection if you don't want to risk a ticket. In South Carolina these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Chevy, most banks will make it mandatory that you carry insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the bank may buy a policy for your Chevy at a much higher premium rate and force you to pay for it.
- Insurance safeguards your Chevy Cruze and your assets. Insurance will pay for all forms of medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, will also pay to defend you if you cause an accident and are sued. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, your policy will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of buying auto insurance outweigh the cost, especially for larger claims. But the average driver in South Carolina is currently overpaying as much as $855 a year so it's very important to do a rate comparison at every policy renewal to make sure the price is not too high.
Be persistent and save
When you buy Charleston car insurance online, don't be tempted to reduce needed coverages to save money. Too many times, drivers have reduced physical damage coverage and discovered at claim time that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. The aim is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best price, but don't skip important coverages to save money.
We just covered a lot of information how to save on Chevy Cruze insurance in Charleston. The key thing to remember is the more price quotes you have, the better likelihood of getting inexpensive Charleston car insurance quotes. Consumers could even find that the lowest priced car insurance comes from a small mutual company. Some small companies can often provide lower rates in certain areas than the large multi-state companies such as Progressive and GEICO.
Additional detailed information is available at these sites:
- Get the Right Protection (InsureUonline.org)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for a GMC Sierra in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Which Company has the Cheapest Car Insurance in Greenwood, SC? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Immigrants in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Vehicle Insurance (Wikipedia)
- How do I File a Claim? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Can I Drive Legally without Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Uninsured Motorist Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)