Are you doing reasearch to find lower-priced Chrysler 200 insurance in Columbia? Are you burned out from sacrificing other expenses to make your car insurance payment? Your situation is no different than the majority of other vehicle owners in South Carolina.
Astonishing but true, 70% of consumers have been with the same company for a minimum of four years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never compared rates with other companies. Many drivers in the United States can save approximately 46.5% each year by just shopping around, but they underestimate the benefits if they switched to a more affordable policy.
Having so many companies and agents to choose from, it can be impossible to pick the cheapest car insurance provider.
Quoting and comparing the lowest-priced auto insurance in Columbia is quite easy. Essentially every car owner who is required to buy auto insurance most likely will be able to cut their insurance bill. But South Carolina car owners need to have an understanding of the methods companies use to calculate their prices and take advantage of how the system works.
Car insurance providers offering affordable prices in South Carolina
The companies in the list below are ready to provide price quotes in Columbia, SC. If several companies are displayed, we recommend you compare several of them to get the best price comparison.
Take these five policy discounts and save on Chrysler 200 insurance in Columbia
Not too many consumers would say auto insurance is affordable, but you might be missing out on some discounts that may help make it more affordable. A few discounts will automatically apply at the time of quoting, but a few need to be requested specifically before you get the savings. If you're not getting every credit you deserve, you're paying more than you need to.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints - Vehicles equipped with air bags can qualify for discounts of up to 25% or more.
- Membership in Organizations - Being in a professional or civic organization can get you a small discount on auto insurance.
- Pay Now and Pay Less - If you pay your entire premium ahead of time rather than paying monthly you can avoid the installment charge.
- Columbia Homeowners Discount - Owning a house in Columbia can save you money since owning and maintaining a home requires personal responsibility.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings - Keeping the miles down on your Chrysler can qualify you for slightly better premium rates than normal.
It's important to note that many deductions do not apply to the whole policy. Most cut individual premiums such as comp or med pay. Despite the appearance that having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, it's just not the way it works.
The best auto insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer can be read below.
- GEICO may offer discounts for anti-theft, five-year accident-free, federal employee, defensive driver, multi-policy, and anti-lock brakes.
- SAFECO policyholders can earn discounts including homeowner, multi-car, bundle discounts, accident prevention training, drive less, safe driver, and anti-theft.
- State Farm has savings for safe vehicle, good student, passive restraint, driver's education, multiple autos, accident-free, and multiple policy.
- MetLife may include discounts for claim-free, good student, defensive driver, good driver, accident-free, multi-policy
- 21st Century includes discounts for automatic seat belts, theft prevention, homeowners, driver training, defensive driver, student driver, and teen driver.
- Progressive discounts include good student, continuous coverage, homeowner, online signing, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and online quote discount.
Before buying, ask each company or agent to give you their best rates. Some credits may not apply to policies in your area.
What is the best insurance coverage?
Always keep in mind that when comparing a policy for your personal vehicles, there really isn't a perfect coverage plan. Every insured's situation is different.
These are some specific questions might point out whether your personal situation might need professional guidance.
- Why am I be forced to buy a membership to get insurance from some companies?
- Does medical payments coverage apply to all occupants?
- Can I rate high risk drivers on liability-only vehicles?
- Do I have coverage when making deliveries for my home business?
- Is my son or daughter covered when driving my car?
- Are my custom wheels covered?
- What if I owe more than I can insure my car for?
- Am I covered if I hit a deer?
If you can't answer these questions then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form.
When to talk to an insurance agent
A small number of people still prefer to go talk to an agent and that is just fine! One of the best bonuses of comparing insurance prices online is you may find the lowest rates and still have a local agent. Supporting local agents is important particularly in Columbia.
By using this form (opens in new window), your coverage information is submitted to local insurance agents that provide free Columbia car insurance quotes for your coverage. You never need to leave your computer because quoted prices will be sent straight to your inbox. You can find the lowest rates and work with a local agent. If you want to get a price quote from one company in particular, just navigate to their website and fill out their quote form.
Different types of Columbia car insurance agents
If you need to find a reliable insurance agency, it's important to understand the different agency structures that you can choose from. Insurance agencies in Columbia can be described as either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer.
Independent Car Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be independent can quote rates with many companies and that gives them the ability to insure with many different companies and get the cheapest rates. If they find a lower price, they can switch companies in-house and you don't have to do anything. When searching for an agent, you definitely need to include price quotes from a couple of independent agencies to maximize your price options.
Listed below are independent agencies in Columbia that may be able to give you cheap rate quotes.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agents
Agents in the exclusive channel can usually just insure with one company like State Farm, Allstate and AAA. They are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so they have no alternatives for high prices. They are well schooled on what they offer which aids in selling service over price.
Below are exclusive agencies in Columbia who can help you get price quote information.
Choosing the best insurance agency should depend on more than just a cheap quote. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- Is the agency active in community causes in Columbia?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- How would your car be valued if totalled?
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
- Can they help ensure a fair claim settlement?
Truth in insurance advertising
Well-known insurance companies like GEICO, State Farm and Progressive endlessly run television, radio, and online ads. All the ads advertise claims that drivers will save a bundle if you get a free Columbia car insurance quote and switch to their company. How does every company charge you a lower premium? This is the way they can do it.
All the different companies offer their best rates for the type of customer that earns them the highest profit. A good example of a preferred risk should be a female over age 40, has few claims, and drives a lower-performance vehicle. A customer that meets those criteria will most likely get cheap rates as well as save quite a bit of money when switching.
Drivers who do not match this ideal profile must pay a more expensive rate with the end result being business not being written. The trick companies use is to say "drivers that switch" but not "everyone who gets a quote" save that kind of money. That's why insurance companies can make claims like that.
That is why drivers must get as many free Columbia car insurance quotes as possible. Because you never know which insurance company will fit your personal profile best.
Specifics of your auto insurance policy
Understanding the coverages of your policy can help you determine the right coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. Policy terminology can be ambiguous and reading a policy is terribly boring.
Comprehensive insurance - Comprehensive insurance covers damage that is not covered by collision coverage. A deductible will apply and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for claims like a tree branch falling on your vehicle, hail damage and theft. The highest amount a auto insurance company will pay at claim time is the market value of your vehicle, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle's value it's not worth carrying full coverage.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP) - Med pay and PIP coverage provide coverage for expenses for things like chiropractic care, rehabilitation expenses and X-ray expenses. They can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance plan or if you do not have health coverage. They cover you and your occupants and will also cover getting struck while a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is not available in all states and may carry a deductible
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM) - This coverage protects you and your vehicle's occupants when other motorists are uninsured or don't have enough coverage. Covered losses include injuries sustained by your vehicle's occupants as well as your vehicle's damage.
Since many South Carolina drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (25/50/25 in South Carolina), their limits can quickly be used up. That's why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is a good idea. Most of the time your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages do not exceed the liability coverage limits.
Coverage for liability - Liability insurance will cover damages or injuries you inflict on other's property or people that is your fault. Liability coverage has three limits: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You might see values of 25/50/25 that means you have $25,000 bodily injury coverage, a per accident bodily injury limit of $50,000, and $25,000 of coverage for damaged property. Alternatively, you may have one number which is a combined single limit which limits claims to one amount and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability coverage protects against claims like bail bonds, medical expenses, structural damage and repair costs for stationary objects. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is up to you, but it's cheap coverage so purchase as large an amount as possible. South Carolina requires drivers to carry at least 25/50/25 but you should consider buying more coverage.
Collision - This pays for damage to your 200 caused by collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You have to pay a deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision can pay for things such as crashing into a ditch, hitting a mailbox, rolling your car, colliding with a tree and crashing into a building. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so consider removing coverage from vehicles that are older. It's also possible to bump up the deductible on your 200 in order to get cheaper collision rates.
One last thing to lower rates
We just showed you a lot of ways to lower your Chrysler 200 insurance premium rates in Columbia. The most important thing to understand is the more times you quote, the better chance you'll have of finding the cheapest Chrysler 200 rate quotes. You may even discover the biggest savings come from an unexpected company.
Lower-priced car insurance in Columbia is definitely available both online and with local Columbia insurance agents, and you should be comparing both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some insurance companies may not offer online rate quotes and these regional insurance providers work with independent insurance agencies.
When searching for affordable Chrysler 200 insurance quotes, make sure you don't buy less coverage just to save a little money. There have been many situations where someone sacrificed full coverage only to regret that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. The goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best price but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
More tips and info about car insurance can be read in these articles:
- Auto Insurance Learning Center (State Farm)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Young Drivers in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for a GMC Sierra in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- How Much is South Carolina Auto Insurance for a Nissan Rogue? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap South Carolina Auto Insurance for Drivers Under 21? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest South Carolina Car Insurance for Low Income Drivers? (FAQ)
- How Much Auto Coverage do I Need? (Insurance Information Institute)
- What is Covered by GAP Insurance? (Allstate)
- Steps to Take After an Auto Accident (Insurance Information Institute)
- Teen Driving Statistics (iihs.org)