Finding cheap BMW Z4 insurance in Columbia is always slightly frustrating for drivers not familiar with quoting coverage prices online. You have so many choices that it can easily become a difficult situation to compare prices in South Carolina on BMW Z4 insurance.
Amazingly, a recent NerdWallet.com study showed that nearly 70% of consumers have stayed with the same insurance company for well over three years, and approximately 40% of consumers have never even compared rates from other companies. The average driver in South Carolina can save hundreds of dollars each year by just shopping around, but they won't spend time to save money by comparing rate quotes.
Consumers need to compare premium rates quite often due to the fact that insurance prices change regularly. Just because you found the lowest rate on BMW Z4 insurance in Columbia a year ago there is a good chance you can find better premium rates now. Forget all the misinformation about auto insurance because I'm going to let you in on the secrets to how to quote online to find great coverage at a great price.
If you already have coverage, you stand a good chance to be able to get lower rates using the following tips. This article's goal is to introduce you to how auto insurance companies operate. Nevertheless, South Carolina car owners can benefit from knowing how big insurance companies market insurance on the web and use it to find better rates.
Cheap BMW insurance prices in Columbia
The following companies provide free rate quotes in Columbia, SC. If multiple companies are shown, we recommend you visit two to three different companies to get the best price comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Z4 3.0I SDRIVE 2-Dr Roadster||$176||$372||$304||$18||$92||$962||$80|
|Z4 3.5I SDRIVE 2-Dr Roadster||$256||$500||$272||$16||$82||$1,126||$94|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices above based on married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and South Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-policy, homeowner, multi-vehicle, and claim-free. Information does not factor in your specific Columbia location which can affect coverage rates considerably.
How accidents and tickets impact rates
The example below highlights how speeding tickets and at-fault collisions raise BMW Z4 car insurance rates for different age categories. The premium estimates are based on a single male driver, full physical damage coverage, $250 deductibles, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
BMW Z4 liability-only versus full coverage
The example below examines BMW Z4 insurance prices with and without physical damage coverage, medical payments, and uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage. The information is based on no claims or driving violations, $500 deductibles, married male driver, and no discounts are applied.
When to drop comp and collision
There is no set guideline of when to exclude physical damage coverage, but there is a general school of thought. If the annual cost of having full coverage is more than 10% of the replacement cost minus the deductible, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
For example, let's pretend your BMW Z4 replacement cost is $3,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, the most your company will settle for is $2,000 after the policy deductible has been paid. If you are paying over $200 a year to have full coverage, then it's probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
There are a few situations where buying only liability insurance is not financially feasible. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you have to keep full coverage to protect the lienholder's interest in the vehicle. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should keep full coverage.
Don't neglect these money saving discounts
Car insurance is neither fun to buy or cheap, but there may be some discounts that many people don't even know exist. Some of these discounts will be visible at the time of quoting, but once in a while a discount must be asked about before being credited.
- Anti-lock Brakes - Vehicles that have anti-lock braking systems are safer to drive and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Pay Early and Save - If you can afford to pay the entire bill as opposed to paying monthly you can avoid the installment charge.
- Seat Belt Usage - Buckling up and requiring all passengers to use their safety belts can save a little off the medical payments premium.
- Active Military Service - Having a deployed family member could qualify you for better premium rates.
- Student in College - Any of your kids who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from Columbia and won't have access to an insured vehicle may be able to be covered for less.
- Driver Safety - Taking part in a class that teaches safe driver techniques may get you a small discount and also improve your driving technique.
- No Charge for an Accident - Not a discount per se, but some companies like GEICO and Allstate will allow you to have one accident before hitting you with a surcharge so long as you are claim-free for a certain period of time.
- Discounts for Government Workers - Active or former government employment can save as much as 8% with some car insurance companies.
- Discount for Low Mileage - Low annual miles could qualify for lower car insurance rates due to less chance of an accident.
- Professional Memberships - Being a member of qualifying clubs or civic groups can get you a small discount on car insurance.
While discounts sound great, it's important to understand that most discount credits are not given to the whole policy. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. Even though it may seem like all those discounts means the company will pay you, companies don't profit that way. Any qualifying discounts will help lower your policy premium.
Popular car insurance companies and some of their more popular discounts are shown below.
- State Farm includes discounts for passive restraint, driver's education, good driver, student away at school, Drive Safe & Save, and good student.
- Progressive has discounts for multi-vehicle, online quote discount, multi-policy, homeowner, online signing, and good student.
- Travelers may include discounts for save driver, hybrid/electric vehicle, new car, multi-policy, multi-car, early quote, and good student.
- American Family may have discounts that include TimeAway discount, accident-free, Steer into Savings, good student, mySafetyValet, and bundled insurance.
- Liberty Mutual may offer discounts for teen driver discount, hybrid vehicle, multi-policy, good student, new move discount, and preferred payment discount.
When getting free Columbia car insurance quotes, it's a good idea to each insurance company which credits you are entitled to. Some discounts listed above may not apply in Columbia. To view providers who offer discounts in Columbia, click this link.
Why Your Insurance Costs might be higher
Many things are considered when you get your auto insurance bill. Some factors are common sense like your driving record, although others are less apparent like your continuous coverage or how safe your car is. A large part of saving on insurance is knowing a few of the rating criteria that come into play when calculating your policy premiums. If you understand what determines base rates, this enables you to make decisions that can earn you cheaper rates.
- Pay more if you have a long commute - Having an address in small towns and rural areas can be a good thing when talking about insurance. Fewer drivers translates into fewer accidents and lower theft and vandalism rates. Residents of big cities tend to have more auto accidents and higher rates of accident claims. More time commuting means a statistically higher chance of an accident.
- Commute or pleasure use - Driving more miles in a year's time the higher your rate. Almost all companies charge rates based on their usage. Cars and trucks that have low annual miles receive better premium rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Make sure your insurance coverage is rated on the correct usage. A policy that improperly rates your Z4 can result in significantly higher rates.
- Save money by raising physical damage deductibles - Physical damage insurance, also called comprehensive and collision insurance, is used to repair damage to your vehicle. Examples of some claims that would be covered are colliding with a building, vandalism, and having your car stolen. Physical damage deductibles define how much you are required to spend out-of-pocket if a covered claim is submitted. The more you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
- Safer the car lower the rate - Safe vehicles tend to have lower insurance rates. The safest vehicles have better occupant injury protection and lower rates of occupant injuries means lower claim amounts which can mean better rates for you. If your BMW earned at least four stars on Safercar.gov or an "acceptable" rating on iihs.org it is probably cheaper to insure.
- Deter theft and reduce rates - Selecting a car model that has a built-in theft deterrent system can help bring down rates. Theft prevention features such as tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar all help stop your vehicle from being stolen.
- BMW Z4 insurance loss statistics - Insurers include the past claim history for a vehicle to help determine the rate you pay. Vehicles that the data determines to have higher claim frequency or loss amount will have higher rates.
The next table illustrates the historical loss data for BMW Z4 vehicles. For each coverage category, the claim probability for all vehicles, regardless of make or model, is equal to 100. Numbers below 100 are indicative of better than average losses, while percentages above 100 indicate more frequent claims or larger claims.
BMW Z4 Insurance Claim Statistics
Vehicle Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury BMW Z4 Convertible 131 67 78
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
How do I know if I need professional advice?
When quoting and choosing your policy, there isn't really a cookie cutter policy. Your situation is unique and your car insurance should unique, too. For example, these questions may help highlight whether you would benefit from professional advice.
- How does medical payments coverage work?
- What is roadside assistance coverage?
- Is a driver training discount available?
- Where can I find high-risk insurance?
- Do they offer discounts for home and auto coverage?
- If I drive on a suspended license am I covered?
- I don't drive much so do I pay less?
- Is pet coverage available?
If it's difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you, you might consider talking to an agent. If you don't have a local agent, complete this form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area.
What if I want to buy from local Columbia car insurance agents?
Some consumers just want to talk to a local agent and often times that is recommended The best thing about comparing insurance prices online is you can get lower premium rates and still have a local agent. Buying from and supporting small agencies is still important in Columbia.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this form (opens in new window), your information is emailed to local insurance agents in Columbia who will give you quotes for your coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won't have to find an agent on your own due to the fact that quote results will go immediately to you. It's the lowest rates and a licensed agent to talk to. In the event you want to get a rate quote from a particular provider, just jump over to their website and fill out the quote form the provide.
If you need to find a local Columbia insurance agent, you need to know there are two different types of agencies and how they function. Car insurance policy providers can be categorized as either exclusive agents or independent agents.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents in the independent channel are not required to write business for one company and that is an advantage because they can write policies with many different companies and potentially find a lower price. If they find a cheaper price, they can switch companies in-house and you don't have to switch agencies.
When comparing car insurance rates, you should always compare prices from multiple independent agents for the best price selection. Many can place coverage with lesser-known insurance companies that can offer cheaper rates than bigger companies.
The following is a list of independent agents in Columbia that can give you rate quotes.
- Butler's Insurance Agency
1617 Broad River Rd - Columbia, SC 29210 - (803) 772-6688 - View Map
- Sauls Insurance Agency
4064 W Beltline Blvd - Columbia, SC 29204 - (803) 256-8983 - View Map
- Claxton Insurance Agency, LLC
9300 Two Notch Rd - Columbia, SC 29223 - (803) 400-1911 - View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents in the exclusive channel generally can only insure with one company and examples are Farmers Insurance or State Farm. Exclusive agents cannot give you multiple price quotes so it's a take it or leave it situation. These agents are well trained on what they offer which helps them compete with independent agents. Some insured continue to use the same exclusive agent mostly because of the brand name rather than having low rates.
Shown below is a short list of exclusive insurance agencies in Columbia that are able to give rate quotes.
- Amy Masincupp - State Farm Insurance Agent
612 St Andrews Rd #4 - Columbia, SC 29210 - (803) 772-5554 - View Map
- Ashley Johnson - State Farm Insurance Agent
1230 Broad River Rd A - Columbia, SC 29210 - (803) 772-0137 - View Map
- Milton Wright - State Farm Insurance Agent
4015 Forest Dr #104 - Columbia, SC 29204 - (803) 782-6400 - View Map
Picking a car insurance agent should include more criteria than just a cheap price. A good agent in Columbia will have answers to these questions.
- Is there any savings for paying the full premium?
- How would your car be valued if totalled?
- Do they have designations such as AIC, CPCU, or CIC?
- How much can you save by raising your physical damage deductibles?
- Are they able to provide referrals?
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies in Columbia?
- Does the company use OEM repair parts?
If you feel you receive good feedback for all questions you ask as well as offering an affordable quote, chances are good that you have found an insurance agency that can be relied on to service your policy.
Is there truth in advertising?
Car insurance companies such as Progressive, GEICO, Allstate and State Farm constantly bombard you with ads on television and other media. They all seem to convey the message of big savings if you switch your policy. It sounds good, but how can they all cost less than your current company? This is the way they can do it.
Many companies require specific criteria for a prospective insured that earns them the highest profit. An example of this type of driver should be married and over the age of 30, has a clear driving record, and insures a new vehicle. Any driver who fits that profile gets the lowest auto insurance rates and will also cut their BMW Z4 insurance rates if they switch.
Consumers who fall short of those standards will be charged higher prices and this can result in the customer buying from someone else. The ad wording is "drivers who switch" not "all people who quote" save money. This is how companies can truthfully advertise the way they do.
This really emphasizes why you really should quote coverage with many companies. It is just not possible to predict with any certainty which company will give you the biggest savings.
Affordable auto insurance premiums are out there
You just read a lot of tips how to find cheaper BMW Z4 insurance in Columbia. The most important thing to understand is the more providers you compare, the better chance you'll have of finding low cost Columbia car insurance quotes. Drivers may even discover the biggest savings come from a small local company. Regional companies may have significantly lower prices on certain market segments as compared to the big name companies such as Allstate or State Farm.
Lower-priced BMW Z4 insurance in Columbia can be bought from both online companies in addition to many Columbia insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance companies don't offer internet price quotes and usually these regional insurance providers work with independent insurance agents.
For more information, feel free to visit these articles:
- What is Covered by an Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for a GMC Sierra in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Drivers Under 25 in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- How Much are South Carolina Auto Insurance Rates for a Honda CR-V? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Immigrants in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for a 20 Year Old Female in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for a Chevrolet Silverado in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- How Much is Car Insurance for Infrequent Drivers in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- How Much Auto Coverage do I Need? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Protecting Teens from Drunk Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- Five Tips to Save on Auto Insurance (Insurance Information Institute)
- Tread Depth and Tire Safety (State Farm)