I doubt anyone is fond of buying car insurance, especially when the cost is too high.
Regrettably, most consumers have purchased from the same company for well over three years, and nearly the majority have never compared rate quotes at all. With the average premium in South Carolina being $1,430, drivers could save an average of roughly $700 each year just by comparing rates, but most undervalue how much money they would save if they just switched companies.
There is such a variety of car insurance companies to choose from, and although it's nice to be able to choose, more options can take longer to find a good deal for Buick Verano insurance in Columbia.
Best companies for Buick Verano insurance
The companies in the list below provide price quotes in Columbia, SC. If multiple providers are shown, we suggest you visit several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Lower-cost Buick Verano insurance in Columbia
Insurance is not an enjoyable expense, but you may qualify for discounts that can drop the cost substantially. Certain credits will be shown at quote time, but a few must be specially asked for before you get the savings.
- Discount for Swiching Early - Some larger companies reward drivers for switching to them before your current Verano insurance policy expires. It's a savings of about 10%.
- Military Deployment Discount - Being deployed with a military unit may qualify for rate reductions.
- Driver Education Discount - Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to complete a driver education course as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
- Early Payment Discounts - If you pay your entire premium ahead of time rather than paying in monthly installments you can avoid the installment charge.
- Theft Deterrent Discount - Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices are less likely to be stolen and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Air Bag Discount - Cars that have air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can get savings of up to 25% or more.
As a footnote on discounts, most discount credits are not given to your bottom line cost. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. Even though it may seem like you can get free auto insurance, nobody gets a free ride.
Large insurance companies and some of the discounts can be found below.
- Mercury Insurance has savings for good driver, anti-theft, location of vehicle, type of vehicle, ease of repair, professional/association, and multi-policy.
- Farmers Insurance may offer discounts for business and professional, mature driver, homeowner, pay in full, electronic funds transfer, and early shopping.
- Farm Bureau policyholders can earn discounts including good student, multi-vehicle, renewal discount, youthful driver, and 55 and retired.
- State Farm includes discounts for anti-theft, student away at school, good driver, Steer Clear safe driver discount, and safe vehicle.
- Allstate has discounts for defensive driver, good payer, eSmart discount, EZ pay plan discount, new car, and utility vehicle.
- GEICO discounts include driver training, federal employee, anti-lock brakes, defensive driver, multi-policy, good student, and multi-vehicle.
When getting a coverage quote, ask each company or agent which discounts they offer. All car insurance discounts might not be available to policyholders in Columbia.
Insurance agent or online?
Some consumers would rather buy from a licensed agent and that is a smart decision The biggest benefit of price shopping on the web is that you can obtain cheap auto insurance quotes and still buy from a local agent.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this form (opens in new window), your coverage information is instantly submitted to companies in Columbia who want to provide quotes for your auto insurance coverage. There is no reason to drive around due to the fact that quote results will go to you directly. You can most likely find cheaper rates without a big time investment. If you want to get a price quote from one company in particular, just visit that company's website and submit a quote form there.
Picking an insurance company needs to be determined by more than just a cheap price quote. Before buying a policy in Columbia, get answers to these questions.
- Are they able to provide referrals?
- Where are claims handled?
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- Will your rates increase after a single accident?
- Will high miles depreciate repair valuations?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
If you are wanting to find local Columbia agents, it's important to understand the different types of agencies and how they operate. Agents may be either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agencies
These agents work for only one company like Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. These agents are not able to compare rates from other companies so if the price isn't competitive there isn't much they can do. Exclusive insurance agents receive extensive training on what they offer which can be an advantage.
Listed below are Columbia exclusive insurance agencies that are able to give rate quotes.
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be independent can sell policies from many different companies so they can insure your vehicles through many different auto insurance companies and potentially find a lower price. To transfer your coverage to a different company, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you won't have to switch agencies.
When shopping rates, we recommend you include rate quotes from at a minimum one independent agency in order to have the best price comparison.
Below is a list of independent insurance agencies in Columbia that can give you comparison quotes.
Nationwide Insurance - Chichester Insurance Agency, Inc.
7340 Parklane Rd a - Columbia, SC 29223 - (803) 786-2224 - View Map
Car insurance policy specifics
Knowing the specifics of your policy aids in choosing which coverages you need for your vehicles. Policy terminology can be confusing and reading a policy is terribly boring. Shown next are typical coverage types found on the average car insurance policy.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM)
Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle from other drivers when they are uninsured or don't have enough coverage. Covered claims include injuries to you and your family as well as damage to your Buick Verano.
Since many South Carolina drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (25/50/25 in South Carolina), their limits can quickly be used up. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is important protection for you and your family.
Liability car insurance
This protects you from damage or injury you incur to people or other property that is your fault. It protects you from claims by other people. Liability doesn't cover your own vehicle damage or injuries.
Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. You might see policy limits of 25/50/25 that means you have $25,000 bodily injury coverage, $50,000 for the entire accident, and $25,000 of coverage for damaged property.
Liability can pay for things such as structural damage, loss of income, medical expenses, funeral expenses and attorney fees. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a decision to put some thought into, but it's cheap coverage so purchase as large an amount as possible. South Carolina requires drivers to carry at least 25/50/25 but drivers should carry more coverage.
Comprehensive insurance pays for damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first must pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers things such as fire damage, theft, damage from a tornado or hurricane and falling objects. The most a car insurance company will pay at claim time is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much it's probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Coverage for collisions
Collision insurance pays for damage to your Verano resulting from a collision with an object or car. You have to pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision coverage protects against things such as sustaining damage from a pot hole, crashing into a building, damaging your car on a curb, backing into a parked car and colliding with another moving vehicle. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider removing coverage from older vehicles. Drivers also have the option to increase the deductible on your Verano to bring the cost down.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP reimburse you for expenses such as hospital visits, rehabilitation expenses, dental work, pain medications and surgery. They can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if you lack health insurance entirely. Medical payments and PIP cover all vehicle occupants in addition to if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP coverage is only offered in select states but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
More comparisons equals cheaper rates
You just read many tips how you can reduce Buick Verano insurance premium rates online in Columbia. It's most important to understand that the more you quote Columbia auto insurance, the better your chances of lowering your prices. Drivers may even discover the biggest savings come from a small local company. These companies may often insure only within specific states and give getter rates compared to the large companies like Allstate and Progressive.
As you quote Columbia auto insurance, it's very important that you do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There have been many situations where someone sacrificed uninsured motorist or liability limits only to discover later that the savings was not a smart move. Your goal is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best cost, but don't skip important coverages to save money.
The cheapest Buick Verano insurance in Columbia is available from both online companies as well as from independent agents in Columbia, and you need to price shop both so you have a total pricing picture. Some companies don't offer rates over the internet and these small, regional companies provide coverage only through independent agencies.
- Your Car has been Stolen: Now What? (Allstate)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for Real Estate Agents in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Drivers Under 25 in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for a Honda Civic in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- How Much are South Carolina Auto Insurance Rates for Nurses? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for Unemployed Drivers in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Drivers Over Age 70 in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers with a DUI in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Self-driving cars won't replace humans (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Understanding Limits and Deductibles (Allstate)