How long has it been since the last time you looked for low-cost Ford Fusion insurance in Charleston? Trying to find better insurance prices for a Ford Fusion in South Carolina can turn out to be difficult, but you can use the following methods to save time. There is a better way to compare car insurance rates and you need to know the proper way to get price quotes on a Ford and obtain the lowest possible price from Charleston insurance agents and online providers.
Seven factors that influence insurance costs
Many things are part of the equation when quoting car insurance. Most are fairly basic like a motor vehicle report, although some other factors are more transparent such as your marital status or your commute time.
Always have car insurance - Letting your insurance expire will be a guaranteed way to trigger a rate increase. In addition to paying higher rates, not being able to provide proof of insurance might get you a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license.
Is your car built for speed? - The make and model of the vehicle you drive makes a substantial difference in your premium level. Due to the fact that the Ford Fusion is classified as a passenger car, insurance will be similar in price or lower compared to average rates in Charleston. Low performance passenger cars usually have the lowest rates, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
Consolidating policies can get discounts - Many insurers allow better rates for people who consolidate policies with them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even with this discount, it's always a smart idea to shop around to ensure the best deal.There is a chance you can find lower rates by splitting coverages up.
Eliminate unneeded add-on coverages - There are a lot of extra add-on coverages that sound like a good idea at the time if you aren't diligent. Coverages for roadside assistance, towing, and additional equipment coverage are some examples. They may seem good when you first buy your policy, but your money might be better spent on other coverage so get rid of them and save.
Insurance is expensive for younger drivers - Teen drivers in South Carolina are statistically shown to be inattentive when behind the wheel therefore car insurance rates are much higher. Having to add a youthful driver to your car insurance policy can increase premiums substantially. More experienced drivers are shown to be more cautious, cause fewer claims and accidents, and tend to be get fewer driving tickets.
Marriage is a good thing - Having a spouse can actually save you money on car insurance. It demonstrates that you tend to be more stable financially and it's statistically proven that drivers who are married are more cautious.
Higher comp and collision deductibles are cheaper - The deductibles represent how much money you are required to spend if you file a covered claim. Physical damage protection, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, insures against damage to your car. Some instances where coverage would apply are rearending another vehicle, damage caused by hail, and damage from wind. The more expense you pay before a claim is paid (deductible), the lower your rates will be.
Ford Fusion statistical loss data - Insurers use past insurance losses to help set a rate to offset losses. Vehicles that the data determines to have high amounts or severity of claims will be charged more to insure. The table below demonstrates the historical insurance loss data for Ford Fusion vehicles.
For each coverage type, the claim probability for all vehicles, regardless of make, model or trim level, is a value of 100. Percentage numbers below 100 suggest a better than average loss history, while numbers shown that are more than 100 point to more losses or an increased chance of larger losses than average.
Ford Fusion Insurance Claim Statistics
|Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Ford Fusion 2WD||110||95||108||116||111||105|
|Ford Fusion 4WD||115||85||120||88||77||71|
|Ford Fusion Hybrid||125||97||98||92||93||95|
|Ford Fusion Plug-in Hybrid||128||87||91||88||91||107|
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
The cheapest Charleston Ford Fusion insurance quotes
The companies in the list below are our best choices to provide comparison quotes in South Carolina. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you visit two to three different companies to get the best price comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Fusion S 4-Dr Sedan||$240||$408||$352||$20||$106||$1,126||$94|
|Fusion SE 4-Dr Sedan||$184||$330||$342||$20||$102||$978||$82|
|Fusion Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$286||$706||$448||$26||$134||$1,600||$133|
|Fusion SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$330||$644||$460||$28||$138||$1,600||$133|
|Fusion Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$270||$482||$352||$20||$106||$1,230||$103|
|Fusion SEL AWD 4-Dr Sedan||$204||$380||$342||$20||$102||$1,048||$87|
|Fusion Sport AWD 4-Dr Sedan||$354||$812||$444||$26||$132||$1,768||$147|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices based on single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and South Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, homeowner, claim-free, multi-policy, and safe-driver. Premium costs do not factor in garaging location in Charleston which can impact price quotes considerably.
Irresponsible driving raises your rates
The chart below illustrates how traffic citations and accident claims can impact Ford Fusion auto insurance rates for different age groups of insureds. The data is based on a single female driver, full coverage, $250 deductibles, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Policy deductible comparison
The information below shows how different deductible levels and can impact Ford Fusion yearly insurance costs for each different age group. The information is based on a married male driver, full coverage, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Full coverage rates compared to liability-only
The illustration below examines Ford Fusion car insurance costs with full coverage compared to only the South Carolina minimum liability coverage. The rates are based on no violations or accidents, $1,000 deductibles, married male driver, and no discounts are applied.
When to stop buying comprehensive and collision coverage
There is no set rule of when to stop paying for physical damage coverage on your policy, but there is a general guideline. If the annual cost of having full coverage is about 10% or more of the vehicle's replacement cost less your deductible, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
For example, let's pretend your Ford Fusion book value is $7,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, you would only receive $6,000 after paying your deductible. If you are paying in excess of $600 a year for full coverage, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
There are some situations where buying only liability insurance is not a good idea. If you still owe money on your vehicle, you have to carry full coverage to protect the lienholder's interest in the vehicle. Also, if your savings is not enough to buy a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should keep full coverage on your policy.
Big brands don't always mean big savings
Consumers in South Carolina constantly see and hear ads that promise big savings for switching from companies such as Progressive, Allstate and GEICO. All the companies advertise claims that drivers will save a bundle if you just switch to their company.
How can each company save you money on Ford Fusion insurance in Charleston? Here is the trick they use.
Many companies give the best rates for the type of customer that earns them a profit. For instance, a profitable risk profile might be over the age of 35, has a clean driving record, and drives a lower-performance vehicle. Anyone who matches those parameters receive the lowest rate quotes in Charleston as well as pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
Insureds who may not quite match the requirements must pay higher rates and ends up with the customer not buying. If you pay attention, the ads say "customers that switch" not "everybody who quotes" save that much when switching. That's why insurance companies can make claims like that. This emphasizes why drivers must get a wide range of price quotes. It's impossible to know with any certainty which company will have the lowest rate quotes.
Why you need to buy auto insurance
Despite the high insurance cost for a Ford Fusion in Charleston, maintaining insurance is required by state law in South Carolina and it also provides benefits you may not be aware of.
- The majority of states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability coverage if you don't want to risk a ticket. In South Carolina these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a loan, it's most likely the lender will stipulate that you have comprehensive coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you do not keep the policy in force, the lender may insure your Ford at a significantly higher premium and require you to reimburse them for it.
- Insurance protects both your assets and your Ford Fusion. It will also provide coverage for many types of medical costs incurred in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also covers legal expenses if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of having auto insurance outweigh the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. According to a 2015 survey, the average American driver is currently overpaying as much as $750 every year so you should quote your policy with other companies once a year at a minimum to save money.
Lower rate quotes on Ford Fusion insurance in Charleston with these discounts
Auto insurance is neither fun to buy or cheap, but you may find discounts that you may not know about. Many of these discounts will be applied automatically when you get a quote, but once in a while a discount must be manually applied before you get the savings. If you don't get every credit possible, you are just wasting money.
- Student Discount for Driver Training - Have your child enroll in driver's education in school.
- Waiver for an Accident - Not necessarily a discount, but certain companies will allow you to have one accident before hitting you with a surcharge so long as you haven't had any claims for a set time period.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints - Vehicles equipped with air bags or automatic seat belts can qualify for discounts of more than 20%.
- Savings for New Vehicles - Buying a new car instead of a used Fusion can get you a discount compared to insuring an older model.
- Renewal Discounts - Select companies give a discount for switching companies prior to your current Fusion insurance policy expiration. It's a savings of about 10%.
- No Claim Discounts - Drivers who don't have accidents can earn big discounts as compared to insureds who have frequent claims or accidents.
- Early Payment Discounts - By making one initial payment rather than paying in monthly installments you may reduce your total bill.
- Telematics Data Discounts - Insureds who allow data collection to spy on their driving habits remotely like In-Drive from State Farm and Progressive's Snapshot may see discounts as long as the data is positive.
- Theft Deterrent Discount - Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems are less likely to be stolen and that can save you a little bit as well.
Don't be surprised that most discounts do not apply to all coverage premiums. Most only cut individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. Just because it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, it's just not the way it works.
Popular auto insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are included below.
- State Farm offers premium reductions for multiple autos, student away at school, Drive Safe & Save, safe vehicle, and good driver.
- GEICO discounts include multi-policy, driver training, emergency military deployment, anti-lock brakes, defensive driver, and daytime running lights.
- Allstate includes discounts for passive restraint, defensive driver, resident student, anti-theft, good payer, safe driver, and 55 and retired.
- SAFECO may offer discounts for anti-theft, anti-lock brakes, safe driver, teen safety rewards, and accident prevention training.
- Farm Bureau offers discounts including driver training, safe driver, youthful driver, renewal discount, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and 55 and retired.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including multi-policy, continuous coverage, online quote discount, online signing, multi-vehicle, good student, and homeowner.
- AAA may include discounts for AAA membership discount, multi-car, education and occupation, good driver, good student, and anti-theft.
When getting free Charleston auto insurance quotes, it's a good idea to all companies you are considering how you can save money. All car insurance discounts might not be available to policyholders in your area.
Local agents and car insurance
Many drivers would prefer to buy from a local agent and that is a smart decision Insurance agents can help you choose the best coverages and give you someone to call. The best thing about comparing insurance prices online is you may find better rates and still have a local agent.
By using this simple form, the coverage information is transmitted to agents in your area that give free quotes for your coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won't have to contact an agency because quoted prices will be sent to you instantly. In the event you want to get a rate quote from a specific company, you would need to jump over to their website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Choosing an company should include more criteria than just a cheap quote. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- Does the agent have a valid license to sell insurance in South Carolina?
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- Where would your vehicle be repaired?
- What will you get paid if your car is a total loss? How is that amount determined?
- Does the company allow you to choose your own collision repair facility?
- Is every driver in your family covered?
- When do they do a full risk review?
- How long has their agency been open in Charleston?
Below are Charleston insurers that are able to give comparison quotes for Ford Fusion insurance in Charleston.
- Allstate Insurance: Wally Burbage
1655 Savannah Hwy b - Charleston, SC 29407 - (843) 766-1221 - View Map
- Driver's Choice Insurance
3353 Rivers Ave - Charleston, SC 29405 - (843) 325-2326 - View Map
- John Acker - State Farm Insurance Agent
630 Skylark Dr o - Charleston, SC 29407 - (843) 203-6855 - View Map
- Allstate Insurance: W. Phil Bradley
571 Folly Rd - Charleston, SC 29412 - (843) 795-4200 - View Map
After you get positive feedback to any questions you may have and a low price estimate, you may have just found an insurer that is reputable and can adequately provide car insurance. Just understand that it's your policy and you can cancel your coverage whenever you wish so never assume that you are permanently stuck with a specific agent with no way to switch.
More effort can pay off
Consumers who switch companies do it for a variety of reasons including denial of a claim, not issuing a premium refund, being labeled a high risk driver and delays in responding to claim requests. It doesn't matter why you want to switch finding a new company is pretty easy and you might even save some money in the process.
A few companies may not have online quoting and many times these regional carriers sell through independent agencies. Discount Ford Fusion insurance is possible both online and with local Charleston insurance agents, and you need to price shop both to have the best selection.
We covered a lot of ways to reduce Ford Fusion insurance rates online in Charleston. The key thing to remember is the more price quotes you have, the better your comparison will be. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest rates are with a small mutual company.
To read more, take a look at these articles:
- Airbag FAQ (iihs.org)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest in Florence, South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Active Military in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Postal Workers in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Drivers Over Age 70 in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Choosing a Car for Your Teen (State Farm)
- Older Drivers FAQ (iihs.org)
- New vehicle ratings focus on headlights (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Collision Coverage (Liberty Mutual)