Are you searching for cheaper Honda HR-V insurance in Columbia? Think you have overpriced Honda HR-V insurance in Columbia? Believe me when I say you're not the only one.
Shockingly, almost 70% of insureds in South Carolina have purchased from the same company for a minimum of four years, and just under half have never compared quotes from other companies. Consumers in America could save 46.5% each year, but most tend to underestimate how much savings they would realize if they changed companies.
With consumers having so many insurance providers from which to choose, it can be diffult for drivers to find the most cost effective insurer.
Honda HR-V Insurance Costs Can Be Reduced
Lots of factors are part of the equation when you quote your car insurance policy. Some are obvious like a motor vehicle report, but others are less obvious such as your marital status or how safe your car is.
Your vocation may affect prices - Jobs like military generals, police officers, and miners tend to pay higher rates than the rest of us due to intense work situations and incredibly demanding work hours. Other professions such as farmers, historians and the unemployed have the lowest average rates.
Guys pay higher costs - Over the last 50 years, statistics have shown that women are safer drivers than men. That doesn't necessarily mean that men are WORSE drivers than women. Women and men tend to get into at-fault accidents at a similar rate, but the men have costlier accidents. Men also statistically get more serious tickets like DUI and reckless driving.
Do you really need roadside assistance? - Insurance policies have a lot of add-on coverages that can add up but may not be useful. Things like replacement cost coverage, accident forgiveness, and term life insurance may be wasting your money. They may seem good when you first buy your policy, but if you have no use for them get rid of them and save.
Get hitched and pay lower prices - Walking down the aisle can get you a discount on your policy. Having a significant other means you're more financially stable and it's statistically proven that being married results in fewer claims.
No policy claims equals better premiums - If you file a lot of claims you can pretty much guarantee higher rates. Companies in South Carolina provide the lowest premiums to insureds who do not file claims often. Auto insurance is intended for claims that you cannot pay yourself.
Premiums are high for teenagers - Teenage drivers in South Carolina have been known to be easily distracted in a vehicle therefore insurance rates are much higher. If you've ever had to add a teen driver onto a policy can be very expensive. Older drivers have been proven to be more responsible, file fewer claims, and get fewer tickets.
Cars with good safety ratings are cheaper to insure - Safer cars tend to have lower insurance rates. Vehicles built for safety reduce injuries and fewer injuries translates directly to fewer claims and more competitive rates for policyholders.
High physical damage deductibles cost less - The deductibles define how much the insured will be required to pay before a claim is paid by your company. Physical damage protection, also called comprehensive and collision insurance, protects your car from damage. Some examples of claims that would be covered could be collision with another vehicle, collision with a deer, and having a roll-over accident. The more damage repair cost you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the bigger discount you will receive.
Most major insurance companies provide price estimates on the web. Getting quotes for Honda HR-V insurance in Columbia is fairly simple as you just type in the coverages you want as requested by the quote form. Once you submit the form, the company's rating system requests your driving record and credit report and generates pricing information based on the data you entered. The ability to get online quotes for Honda HR-V insurance in Columbia makes it simple to compare prices and it's necessary to get many rate quotes in order to find the best possible rates on auto insurance.
To save time and fill out one form to compare multiple rates now, compare rate quotes from the providers shown below. If you have a policy now, it's recommended you enter the limits and deductibles as shown on your current policy. This ensures you're receiving a rate comparison for exact coverage.
The companies in the list below can provide price comparisons in South Carolina. If more than one company is shown, we suggest you visit as many as you can to get a more complete price comparison.
Be skeptical of insurance ads
Well-known insurance companies like State Farm, Allstate and GEICO consistently run television, radio, and online ads. They all seem to tend to make the same promise that drivers can save some big amount if you change your coverage. That's great but how can every company charge lower premium rates? This is how they do it.
Most companies have a preferred profile for the right customer that is profitable for them. A good example of a preferred risk might have to be a married male, has never had a claim, and drives a safe vehicle. Any customer that fits those parameters will qualify for the lowest rates in Columbia and therefore will save when switching.
Consumers who do not match these standards will probably have to pay higher premium rates and this results in the prospect going elsewhere. The trick is to say "people that switch" not "everyone that quotes" save that much money. That's why insurance companies can claim big savings. Different companies use different criteria so you really should compare quotes as often as possible. Because you cannot predict with any certainty which company will have the best car insurance rates at this point in time.
Why you need vehicle insurance in South Carolina
Even though it can be expensive, maintaining insurance is mandatory in South Carolina but it also protects more than you think.
- Almost all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific minimum amount of liability protection in order to drive the car. In South Carolina these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Honda HR-V, almost all lenders will have a requirement that you have physical damage coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the lender may insure your Honda at a much higher rate and force you to pay for the expensive policy.
- Insurance protects both your assets and your Honda. It will also reimburse you for medical transport and hospital expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, will also pay to defend you in the event you are sued. If your Honda gets damaged, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of having insurance more than cancel out the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver is currently overpaying as much as $750 every year so we recommend shopping around every year to ensure rates are competitive.
Companies offer lots of discounts on Honda HR-V insurance in Columbia
Some insurers don't always advertise the complete list of policy discounts very well, so the following list contains a few of the more well known as well as the least known credits available to you.
- Passive Restraint Discount - Factory options such as air bags can receive discounts of 20% or more.
- ABS Brakes - Cars and trucks with ABS and/or traction control can reduce accidents and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Multiple Vehicles - Buying coverage for more than one vehicle on one policy may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Own a Home and Save - Just owning your own home can save you money due to the fact that maintaining a home means you have a higher level of financial diligence.
- Lower Rates for Military - Having a deployed family member can result in better auto insurance rates.
- Accident Forgiveness - Not necessarily a discount, but companies like Progressive and Allstate will forgive one accident without raising rates with the catch being you have to be claim-free prior to being involved in the accident.
- Responsible Drivers - Drivers who don't get into accidents may receive a discount up to 45% than drivers with accidents.
- Defensive Driver Discount - Taking time to complete a course that instructs on driving safety could cut 5% off your bill if your company offers it.
Don't be surprised that most discounts do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. Despite the appearance that you could get a free auto insurance policy, companies don't profit that way.
To choose auto insurance companies that offer some of these discounts in South Carolina, click here.
When should I get advice from an insurance agency?
A small number of people still like to have an agent's advice and that is OK! A good thing about comparing rate quotes online is that you can find better rates but still work with a licensed agent.
For easy comparison, once you complete this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is emailed to local insurance agents who want to provide quotes for your insurance coverage. You won't need to contact any agents because prices are sent to your email. You can most likely find cheaper rates and a licensed agent to talk to. If you wish to get a price quote from one company in particular, you would need to go to their quote page and fill out their quote form.
Choosing an insurance company needs to be determined by more than just a cheap price. These are some valid questions you should ask.
- Are there any discounts that you might be missing?
- How long has their agency been open in Columbia?
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
- Is the quote a firm price?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
- Where would your vehicle be repaired?
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
Two different types of car insurance agents
If you want to use a local Columbia insurance agency, it can be helpful to understand the different types of agencies that you can choose from. Insurance agencies in Columbia are either exclusive or independent.
Agents that choose to be exclusive generally can only insure with one company and some examples include State Farm, Allstate, or Farmers Insurance. These agents are not able to give you multiple price quotes so they have to upsell other benefits. They are well schooled on their company's products which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Below is a list of exclusive insurance agencies in Columbia that are able to give price quotes.
Rick Anthony - State Farm Insurance Agent
6226 Bush River Rd b - Columbia, SC 29212 - (803) 781-9810 - View Map
Bill Weathersbee - State Farm Insurance Agent
9440 Two Notch Rd - Columbia, SC 29223 - (803) 788-7981 - View Map
Agents in the independent channel do not have single company limitations so they can write business through lots of different companies and find the cheapest car insurance rates. If prices rise, your agent can switch companies and you don't have to find a new agent. When searching for an agent, you should always get rate quotes from a few independent agents to maximize your price options.
Shown below is a list of independent agencies in Columbia willing to provide comparison quotes.
Nationwide Insurance - Chichester Insurance Agency, Inc.
7340 Parklane Rd a - Columbia, SC 29223 - (803) 786-2224 - View Map
Affordable car insurance rates are out there
When buying insurance coverage, never buy poor coverage just to save money. There are many occasions where someone sacrificed physical damage coverage only to find out that the small savings ended up costing them much more. The ultimate goal is to purchase plenty of coverage at the best price but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
You just read quite a bit of information on how to save on Honda HR-V insurance in Columbia. It's most important to understand that the more you quote Columbia auto insurance, the better chance you'll have of finding affordable Columbia auto insurance quotes. You may even be surprised to find that the best auto insurance rates are with a small mutual company. These companies often have lower premium rates on specific markets compared to the large companies like Progressive and GEICO.
Even more information is located in the articles below:
- Insurance Losses by Make and Model (iihs.org)
- How Much are South Carolina Auto Insurance Rates for a Honda CR-V? (FAQ)
- What Does No-Fault Insurance Cover? (Allstate)
- Property Damage Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Winter Driving (Insurance Information Institute)