Beginners to comparing auto insurance rates online will discover locating inexpensive Mazda CX-5 insurance in Columbia is harder than they anticipated.
Inconceivable but true, 70% of consumers renewed their policy with the same company for over three years, and practically 40% of car insurance customers have never compared quotes from other companies. Many drivers in Columbia could pocket up to 55% a year by just shopping around, but they mistakenly think it's difficult to compare rate quotes.
You should make it a habit to compare rates periodically because car insurance prices trend upward over time. Just because you had the lowest rates on Mazda CX-5 insurance in Columbia last year the chances are good that you can find a lower rate quote today. Block out anything you think you know about car insurance because I'm going to let you in on the secrets to the easiest way to properly buy coverages while reducing your premium.
Affordable Columbia Mazda CX-5 insurance rate quotes online
To find cheaper quotes, there are a couple of ways to compare quotes from lots of South Carolina car insurance companies. The easiest way by far to lower the rate you pay for insurance is simply to get online rate quotes.
When comparing car insurance rates, know that having more price comparisons increases the chance that you will find the best rates.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide price comparisons in South Carolina. If several companies are displayed, we suggest you visit two to three different companies to get the most competitive price.
Don't overlook these Mazda CX-5 insurance discounts
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but there could be available discounts that can drop the cost substantially. Most are applied at the time of quoting, but occasionally some discounts must be specifically requested prior to receiving the credit.
- Distant Student - Any of your kids living away from Columbia attending college and do not have access to a covered vehicle may qualify for this discount.
- Telematics Data Discounts - People who choose to allow driving data submission to monitor their driving habits by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as Snapshot from Progressive or Drivewise from Allstate could save a few bucks if they have good driving habits.
- Clubs and Organizations - Being a member of qualifying clubs or civic groups could qualify you for a break on your bill.
- Accident Forgiveness Coverage - Not a discount per se, but companies like State Farm and Progressive will forgive one accident before they charge you more for coverage as long as you don't have any claims for a certain period of time.
- Drivers Education - Cut your cost by having your teen driver enroll and complete driver's education as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
- Pay Upfront and Save - By paying your policy upfront rather than paying monthly you could save 5% or more.
- Claim Free - Insureds with no claims or accidents pay much less in comparison with frequent claim filers.
- E-sign Discounts - Certain insurance companies may give you up to $50 for buying your policy digitally online.
- Student Discounts - This discount can save 20 to 25%. The discount lasts up until you turn 25.
A little disclaimer on discounts, many deductions do not apply to the whole policy. Most cut individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. If you do the math and it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, companies wouldn't make money that way.
A few of the larger companies and some of the premium reductions they offer can be found below.
- State Farm offers premium reductions for anti-theft, Drive Safe & Save, defensive driving training, multiple policy, and passive restraint.
- GEICO discounts include driver training, membership and employees, air bags, emergency military deployment, seat belt use, and five-year accident-free.
- Progressive has savings for online signing, continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, homeowner, multi-policy, and good student.
- 21st Century offers discounts for theft prevention, good student, early bird, homeowners, and automatic seat belts.
- American Family may offer discounts for mySafetyValet, TimeAway discount, good driver, multi-vehicle, Steer into Savings, and defensive driver.
- The Hartford offers discounts including driver training, defensive driver, bundle, good student, air bag, and anti-theft.
- AAA may include discounts for good student, education and occupation, good driver, AAA membership discount, pay-in-full, and anti-theft.
Before buying, ask all companies you are considering to give you their best rates. Some discounts might not be offered on policies in Columbia. To view companies with the best Mazda CX-5 insurance discounts in South Carolina, click this link.
When should I talk to an insurance agent?
A lot of people still prefer to sit down with an agent and doing that can be a smart decision A nice benefit of getting free rate quotes online is you may find cheap car insurance rates and still choose a local agent. Buying from small agencies is still important in Columbia.
After completing this quick form, your information is transmitted to insurance agents in Columbia that can provide free Columbia car insurance quotes to get your business. You won't even need to visit any agencies since price quotes are sent directly to you. You can find better rates AND an agent nearby. If you have a need to get a rate quote from a particular provider, feel free to find their quoting web page to submit a rate quote request.
If you would like to find a good insurance agency, it's helpful to know the different types of agencies and how they can write your policy. Car insurance agencies are either exclusive agents or independent agents.
Independent Car Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be independent do not sell for just one brand so they can insure your vehicles with lots of companies and find you the best rates. If they find a lower price, they simply move the coverage in-house and you don't have to do anything. When shopping rates, we highly recommend that you include price quotes from several independent agencies to get the best comparison. Many can place coverage with smaller companies which can be an advantage.
Below are Columbia independent insurance agencies who can help you get rate quotes.
- Affordable Insurance Group
6168 St Andrews Rd - Columbia, SC 29212 - (803) 798-4499 - View Map
- Irmo Insurance Agency, Inc.
1345 Lake Murray Blvd - Irmo, SC 29063 - (803) 781-4700 - View Map
- Nationwide Insurance: Kevin Spencer Agency LLC
952 Sunset Blvd - West Columbia, SC 29169 - (803) 794-0411 - View Map
Exclusive agents write business for a single company like AAA, Allstate, and State Farm. Exclusive agencies are unable to compare other company's rates so keep that in mind. Exclusive agents are well trained on the products they sell which aids in selling service over price. Drivers often purchase coverage from exclusives mainly due to the brand name and the convenience of having all coverages with one company.
Shown below are exclusive insurance agents in Columbia that can give you price quotes.
- Troy Roberts - State Farm Insurance Agent
3206 Millwood Ave - Columbia, SC 29205 - (803) 212-7000 - View Map
- Gary Williamson - State Farm Insurance Agent
132 Harbison Blvd #100 - Columbia, SC 29212 - (803) 749-1279 - View Map
- Shannon Rikard - State Farm Insurance Agent
384 St Andrews Rd - Columbia, SC 29210 - (803) 391-3777 - View Map
Picking the best auto insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just the price. Any agent in Columbia should be willing to answer these questions.
- Is the agent properly licensed in South Carolina?
- Is vehicle damage repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Which family members are covered?
- How are they compensated?
- Are they full-time agents?
- Does the agent recommend any additional coverage?
- Can you choose the body shop in case repairs are needed?
Once you have received positive feedback and a low price estimate, you may have just found an insurance agent that is a good match to service your policy. Keep in mind once you purchase a policy you can terminate your policy at any time so never assume that you're stuck with any particular company for the full term.
Why Your Insurance Prices might be higher
Many different elements are considered when you quote your car insurance policy. Some are obvious like your driving record, although others are more transparent such as whether you are married and annual miles driven.
Discounts for auto and home policies - Most major insurers afford discounts to customers who buy several policies from them such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. This can amount to ten percent or more. Even with this discount, you still need to shop around to make sure you are getting the best deal.
Females tend to be lower risk - Over the last 50 years, statistics have shown that females tend to be a little less risky than males. The data does not necessarily mean that females are better drivers. Females and males tend to get into fender benders at about the same rate, but the men have costlier accidents. Not only are claims higher, but men get more serious tickets such as driving while intoxicated (DWI) or driving recklessly.
Lower rates with alarms and GPS tracking - Choosing to buy a car with an alarm system can get you a discount on your car insurance. Anti-theft devices like LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM's OnStar system all hinder car theft and help bring rates down.
Mature drivers are lower risk - More mature drivers are proven to be safer behind the wheel, cost insurance companies less in claims, and tend to be get fewer driving tickets.Teenage drivers are statistically shown to be inattentive when behind the wheel so they pay higher car insurance rates.
Type of car determines base premiums - The performance of the car, truck or SUV you drive makes a significant difference in your auto insurance rates. Since the Mazda CX-5 falls in the crossover class, insuring your vehicle will cost slightly more than the average rate where you live in Columbia. Small economy passenger cars generally have the cheapest insurance rates, but your final cost has many other factors.
Prices are affected by your address - Living in less populated areas of the country can save you money when insuring your vehicles. Fewer drivers on the road means fewer accidents in addition to lower liability claims City drivers have to deal with more traffic problems and higher rates of accident claims. The longer drive time means higher likelihood of an accident.
Marriage can save you money - Having a wife or husband actually saves money on your car insurance policy. Having a significant other is viewed as being more stable financially and statistics prove married couples file fewer claims.
Mazda CX-5 insurance claim data - Insurers take into consideration historical loss data for every vehicle as a tool for profitable underwriting. Vehicles that are shown to have higher claim amounts or frequency will have higher rates for specific coverages. The table below outlines the collected loss data for Mazda CX-5 vehicles.
For each policy coverage, the claim probability for all vehicles averaged together is a value of 100. Values that are 100 or less suggest losses that are better than average, while percentage values above 100 point to more frequent losses or a tendency for losses to be larger than average.
Car Insurance Loss Data for Mazda CX-5 Models
|Specific Mazda Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Mazda CX-5 4dr 2WD||66||88||85||79||83||76|
|Mazda CX-5 4dr 4WD||71||83||102||79||74||72|
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Car insurance is an important decision
Even though Columbia CX-5 insurance rates can get expensive, car insurance is required by state law in South Carolina and it also provides benefits you may not be aware of.
- Almost all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means you are required to carry specific minimum amounts of liability insurance if you want to drive legally. In South Carolina these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your CX-5 with a loan, more than likely the lender will make it mandatory that you have full coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank may insure your Mazda for a much higher rate and require you to pay much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects not only your vehicle but also your assets. Insurance will pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit in the event you are sued. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of buying enough insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, especially with large liability claims. The average driver in South Carolina is currently overpaying as much as $800 each year so you should quote rates every year to ensure rates are inline.
One last thing to lower rates
Consumers change insurance companies for many reasons like delays in paying claims, unfair underwriting practices, delays in responding to claim requests or extreme rates for teen drivers. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, choosing a new insurance company can be easy and end up saving you some money.
In this article, we presented a lot of information how to find affordable Mazda CX-5 insurance in Columbia. The most important thing to understand is the more providers you compare, the better likelihood of getting the cheapest Mazda CX-5 rate quotes. You may even discover the lowest premium rates are with a smaller regional carrier.
Some companies do not provide online rate quotes and these regional insurance providers prefer to sell through local independent agencies. Lower-priced insurance in Columbia is possible from both online companies and from local insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best chance of lowering rates.
More information can be read at these links:
- Can I Drive Legally without Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes for Business Use in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Drivers Over Age 70 in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Child Safety Seats (Insurance Information Institute)
- Eight Auto Insurance Myths (Insurance Information Institute)