If you're shopping for lower-cost insurance on the web, are you intimidated by the dozens of car insurance choices available to you? You have such a large number of options that it can really be a difficult situation to find a cheaper company. Columbia is an excellent city in which to live, but expensive car insurance premiums can make it hard for many residents to affordably insure vehicles.
A recent NerdWallet.com study revealed that the vast majority of drivers kept buying from the same company for at least four years, and practically 40% of car insurance customers have never taken the time to shop around. Drivers in Columbia could save as much as 55% every year, but they mistakenly think it's difficult to find cheap car insurance rates.
Consumers should take time to check car insurance prices yearly because prices are variable and change quite frequently. Just because you had the best deal on Chevy Silverado insurance in Columbia a year ago you may be paying too much now. Ignore everything you know about car insurance because you're going to get a crash course in the proper way to find lower rates on car insurance.
You may qualify for discounts for Chevy Silverado insurance in Columbia
Auto insurance is not inexpensive, but you may qualify for discounts that you may not even be aware of. Some discounts apply automatically when you quote, but once in a while a discount must be specially asked for prior to receiving the credit. If you're not getting every credit available, you are paying more than you should be.
- First Accident Forgiveness - Not a discount per se, but some companies like State Farm and Progressive allow you one accident before hitting you with a surcharge as long as you don't have any claims prior to being involved in the accident.
- Save with More Vehicles Insured - Purchasing coverage when you have multiple vehicles on a single policy can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags - Factory air bags can receive discounts as much as 30%.
- Columbia Homeowners Discount - Just owning your own home can save you money since owning and maintaining a home shows financial diligence.
- Discount for Multiple Policies - If you combine your auto and homeowners policies with one company you will save up to 20% and get you low cost Chevrolet Silverado insurance.
- Theft Deterrent - Cars, trucks, and SUVs equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems are stolen less frequently and earn discounts up to 10% off your Columbia auto insurance quote.
- E-sign Discounts - A few auto insurance companies give back up to $50 for buying your policy on the internet.
As is typical with insurance, most discount credits are not given to all coverage premiums. Some only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. Despite the appearance that all the discounts add up to a free policy, that's just not realistic.
Popular auto insurance companies and their offered discounts are included below.
- American Family includes discounts for early bird, air bags, bundled insurance, Steer into Savings, and accident-free.
- State Farm has discounts for multiple autos, driver's education, student away at school, safe vehicle, accident-free, and passive restraint.
- 21st Century has savings for theft prevention, early bird, driver training, teen driver, student driver, air bags, and 55 and older.
- Travelers policyholders can earn discounts including multi-car, hybrid/electric vehicle, good student, IntelliDrive, and continuous insurance.
- GEICO may have discounts that include driver training, good student, seat belt use, military active duty, and multi-vehicle.
When getting a coverage quote, ask each company which discounts they offer. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts might not be offered on policies in your area.
When price shopping your coverage, comparing more prices increases your odds of finding the best price. Some regional insurers cannot provide price estimates online, so it's important to compare rates from the smaller companies as well.
The auto insurance companies shown below are our best choices to provide price quotes in Columbia, SC. If multiple companies are shown, we suggest you click on several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Silverado LS Regular Cab 2WD||$160||$288||$436||$26||$130||$1,040||$87|
|Silverado LS Regular Cab 4WD||$248||$428||$348||$20||$104||$1,148||$96|
|Silverado LT Regular Cab 2WD||$184||$352||$436||$26||$130||$1,128||$94|
|Silverado LT Regular Cab||$300||$444||$506||$30||$152||$1,432||$119|
|Silverado LS Extended Cab 4WD||$206||$404||$444||$26||$132||$1,212||$101|
|Silverado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$168||$304||$328||$20||$98||$918||$77|
|Silverado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$210||$412||$466||$28||$140||$1,256||$105|
|Silverado LS Extended Cab 2WD||$258||$512||$466||$28||$140||$1,404||$117|
|Silverado LT Crew Cab 4WD||$142||$274||$320||$18||$96||$850||$71|
|Silverado LS Crew Cab 2WD||$208||$434||$436||$26||$130||$1,234||$103|
|Silverado LS Crew Cab 4WD||$230||$434||$320||$18||$96||$1,098||$92|
|Silverado LT Crew Cab 2WD||$256||$540||$436||$26||$130||$1,388||$116|
|Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 2WD||$318||$706||$502||$30||$150||$1,706||$142|
|Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 4WD||$378||$624||$448||$26||$134||$1,610||$134|
|Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 2WD||$180||$378||$466||$28||$140||$1,192||$99|
|Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 4WD||$302||$574||$352||$20||$106||$1,354||$113|
|Silverado Crew Cab Hybrid 2WD||$232||$550||$444||$26||$132||$1,384||$115|
|Silverado Crew Cab Hybrid 4WD||$232||$500||$386||$22||$116||$1,256||$105|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices above based on single male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and South Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, homeowner, safe-driver, claim-free, and multi-policy. Estimates do not factor in vehicle garaging location which can impact premium rates considerably.
Impact of citations and accidents on insurance rates
The chart below demonstrates how speeding tickets and at-fault accidents increase Chevrolet Silverado car insurance rates for each different age group. The premiums are based on a single female driver, full coverage, $1,000 deductibles, and no discounts are applied.
Cost difference between full coverage and liability
The chart below examines Chevrolet Silverado insurance prices with and without physical damage coverage, medical payments, and uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage. Data assumes no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, married male driver, and no discounts are applied.
When to drop comprehensive and collision coverage
There is no set rule of when to drop full coverage, but there is a general guideline you can use. If the annual cost of coverage is about 10% or more of the replacement cost minus the deductible, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
For example, let's pretend your Chevrolet Silverado settlement value is $5,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, the most your company would pay you is $4,000 after you pay the deductible. If premiums are more than $400 a year for your policy with full coverage, then it's probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
There are some situations where buying only liability insurance is not a good idea. If you still have a loan on your vehicle, you have to maintain full coverage in order to prevent your loan from defaulting. Also, if you don't have enough money to buy a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should not consider dropping full coverage.
Local neighborhood agents and car insurance
Many drivers still prefer to talk to an insurance agent and that is a smart decision An additional benefit of comparing insurance prices online is the fact that drivers can get cheap car insurance quotes and still choose a local agent. Supporting neighborhood agents is important especially in Columbia.
Upon completion of this short form, your insurance data is immediately sent to participating agents in Columbia that can provide free Columbia auto insurance quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You won't need to do any legwork since price quotes are sent immediately to you. You can find lower rates AND an agent nearby. If you want to get a comparison quote from one company in particular, don't hesitate to find their quoting web page to submit a rate quote request.
When researching a good insurance agency, you should know the types of insurance agents and how they can service your needs differently. Car insurance agents can be described as either independent or exclusive.
Independent Insurance Agents
These type of agents can sell policies from many different companies so they have the ability to put coverage with an assortment of companies and find the cheapest rate. If you want to switch companies, they simply move the coverage in-house which requires no work on your part.
If you need lower rates, it's a good idea to include rate quotes from a couple of independent agencies to have the most options to choose from. Most independent agents also contract with companies you've never heard of that can offer cheaper rates than bigger companies.
Shown below is a partial list of independent insurance agencies in Columbia who may provide rate quotes.
- Claxton Insurance Agency, LLC
9300 Two Notch Rd - Columbia, SC 29223 - (803) 400-1911 - View Map
- KLOSTERMAN INSURANCE AGENCY LLC
10248 Two Notch Rd - Columbia, SC 29229 - (803) 736-6161 - View Map
- Sauls Insurance Agency
4064 W Beltline Blvd - Columbia, SC 29204 - (803) 256-8983 - View Map
Exclusive agents have only one company to place business with such as Allstate and State Farm. They generally cannot provide other company's prices so you need to shop around if the rates are high. They are very knowledgeable on the products they sell which aids in selling service over price. A lot of people buy from exclusive agents primarily because of the prominent brand name and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
The following are exclusive insurance agents in Columbia that can give you comparison quotes.
- Allstate Insurance: The Owens Agency, LLC
6316 St Andrews Rd b - Columbia, SC 29212 - (803) 798-0404 - View Map
- Gary Williamson - State Farm Insurance Agent
132 Harbison Blvd #100 - Columbia, SC 29212 - (803) 749-1279 - View Map
- Jimmy Gilbert Jr - State Farm Insurance Agent
1303 Assembly St Ste A - Columbia, SC 29201 - (803) 799-3077 - View Map
Finding a good insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just the price. Before buying a policy in Columbia, get answers to these questions.
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
- Is coverage determined by price?
- What is the agency's Better Business Bureau rating?
- Does the agent help file claims?
- How are they compensated?
- Are claims handled at the agent's location?
- Is there any savings for paying the full premium?
Don't give up on affordable rates
While you're price shopping online, it's not a good idea to reduce coverage to reduce premium. Too many times, someone sacrificed liability limits or collision coverage and found out when filing a claim that it was a big mistake. The goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best cost, but do not skimp to save money.
Cheap Chevy Silverado insurance in Columbia can be bought online as well as from insurance agents, and you need to price shop both to have the best selection. Some insurance companies do not provide online rate quotes and most of the time these regional carriers provide coverage only through independent agents.
Insureds change insurance companies for a variety of reasons including delays in paying claims, questionable increases in premium, lack of trust in their agent or even high prices. No matter why you want to switch, switching auto insurance companies can be easier than you think.
Even more information can be found in these articles:
- Things to Know Before you Cancel Insurance (Allstate)
- Who Has Cheap South Carolina Auto Insurance for a Toyota Corolla? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Active Military in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for a School Permit in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Postal Workers in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Distracted Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Honda warning system reduces insurance claims (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- What are my Rights when Filing a Claim? (Insurance Information Institute)