Want to learn how to buy lower-priced car insurance rates in Charleston, SC? Charleston drivers have a choice when trying to find affordable Ford F-150 insurance. You can either waste hours contacting agents to get rate comparisons or use the internet to compare rates. There are both good and bad ways to compare car insurance rates and you need to know the quickest way to quote coverages on a Ford and find the cheapest rates either online or from Charleston insurance agents.
Low-cost Ford insurance prices in Charleston
The companies shown below have been selected to offer free quotes in Charleston, SC. If multiple companies are shown, we recommend you visit two to three different companies to get the best price comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|F-150 XL Regular Cab 2WD||$176||$238||$320||$18||$96||$848||$71|
|F-150 STX Regular Cab 2WD||$186||$294||$342||$20||$102||$944||$79|
|F-150 XL Super Cab 2WD||$222||$358||$348||$20||$104||$1,052||$88|
|F-150 XLT Regular Cab 2WD||$254||$450||$460||$28||$138||$1,330||$111|
|F-150 STX Super Cab 2WD||$220||$428||$358||$22||$108||$1,136||$95|
|F-150 XL Crew Cab 2WD||$256||$358||$348||$20||$104||$1,086||$91|
|F-150 XLT Super Cab 2WD||$252||$428||$386||$22||$116||$1,204||$100|
|F-150 STX Regular Cab 4WD||$214||$294||$342||$20||$102||$972||$81|
|F-150 XL Regular Cab 4WD||$180||$282||$460||$28||$138||$1,088||$91|
|F-150 FX2 Super Cab 2WD||$184||$288||$386||$22||$116||$996||$83|
|F-150 XLT Crew Cab 2WD||$158||$226||$348||$20||$104||$856||$71|
|F-150 XL Super Cab 4WD||$126||$190||$320||$18||$96||$750||$63|
|F-150 XLT Regular Cab 4WD||$158||$226||$348||$20||$104||$856||$71|
|F-150 XL Crew Cab 4WD||$158||$226||$386||$22||$116||$908||$76|
|F-150 STX Super Cab 4WD||$256||$362||$320||$18||$96||$1,052||$88|
|F-150 XLT Super Cab 4WD||$176||$260||$444||$26||$132||$1,038||$87|
|F-150 FX2 2WD||$286||$520||$386||$22||$116||$1,330||$111|
|F-150 Lariat Super Cab 2WD||$208||$370||$386||$22||$116||$1,102||$92|
|F-150 Lariat Crew Cab 2WD||$178||$274||$348||$20||$104||$924||$77|
|F-150 FX4 Super Cab 4WD||$220||$330||$352||$20||$106||$1,028||$86|
|F-150 XLT Crew Cab 4WD||$238||$412||$412||$24||$124||$1,210||$101|
|F-150 FX4 4WD||$168||$258||$352||$20||$106||$904||$75|
|F-150 Lariat Crew Cab 4WD||$322||$520||$348||$20||$104||$1,314||$110|
|F-150 SVT Raptor Super Cab 4WD||$204||$344||$460||$28||$138||$1,174||$98|
|F-150 Lariat Super Cab 4WD||$288||$436||$348||$20||$104||$1,196||$100|
|F-150 Lariat Crew Cab Platinum 2WD||$208||$414||$386||$22||$116||$1,146||$96|
|F-150 Lariat Crew Cab Harley 2WD||$288||$514||$348||$20||$104||$1,274||$106|
|F-150 Lariat King Ranch 2WD||$288||$514||$348||$20||$104||$1,274||$106|
|F-150 Lariat King Ranch 4WD||$324||$602||$412||$24||$124||$1,486||$124|
|F-150 Lariat Crew Cab Harley 4WD||$232||$414||$386||$22||$116||$1,170||$98|
|F-150 Lariat Crew Cab Platinum 4WD||$308||$422||$448||$26||$134||$1,338||$112|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Above prices assume single male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and South Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, claim-free, homeowner, safe-driver, and multi-vehicle. Prices do not factor in specific zip code location which can modify coverage rates considerably.
Price comparison of only insuring for liability
The example below visualizes the comparison of Ford F-150 car insurance costs with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying liability only. The rate quotes are based on no accidents or driving violations, $500 deductibles, single female driver, and no discounts are applied.
Deciding between full coverage and liability only
There is no definitive formula for excluding full coverage, but there is a general school of thought. If the annual cost of having full coverage is more than about 10% of replacement cost minus your deductible, then it might be time to buy liability only.
For example, let's assume your Ford F-150 settlement value is $6,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, you would only receive $5,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If you are paying in excess of $500 annually to have full coverage, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
There are some circumstances where dropping full coverage is not in your best interest. If you have an outstanding loan on your vehicle, you have to carry full coverage to satisfy the loan requirements. Also, if you don't have enough money to buy a different vehicle if your current one is totaled, you should not buy liability only.
Six factors that affect insurance premiums
Many different elements are used in the calculation when you quote your car insurance policy. Most are fairly basic like an MVR report, although some other factors are less apparent like where you live or how financially stable you are.
Shown below are some of the most common factors insurance companies consider when setting premiums.
- Premiums increase with policy add-ons - Policies have additional extra coverages that can waste your money on your insurance policy. Insurance for replacement cost coverage, better glass coverage, and extra equipment coverage are probably not needed. These coverages may sound good when deciding what coverages you need, but your needs may have changed so eliminate them to save money.
- Vehicle options impact premiums - Purchasing a vehicle with a theft deterrent system can help bring down rates. Systems that thwart thieves such as LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM's OnStar system can thwart car theft.
- Qualify for multi-policy discounts - Many insurance companies will award lower prices to policyholders who carry more than one policy, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. If you currently are using one company, you may still want to comparison shop to help guarantee you have the best rates. You may still find a better deal by buying from different companies
- Pay more out-of-pocket - Physical damage protection, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, is used to repair damage to your Ford. Examples of covered claims are a broken windshield, vandalism, and burglary. Your deductibles are how much you are required to spend before a claim is paid by your company. The more damage repair cost you're willing to pay, the less money you will pay for insurance.
- Choose high crash test ratings and save - Vehicles with high crash test scores tend to have better insurance rates. Safe vehicles have better occupant injury protection and better occupant protection means less money paid by your insurance company and thus lower rates. If your Ford F-150 has at least four stars on Safercar.gov or an "acceptable" rating on iihs.org you are probably receiving a discount.
- Drivers with responsible credit save - Having a bad credit rating factor in calculating your insurance rates. Insureds that have very good credit scores tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims than drivers with lower credit scores. If your credit history could use some work, you could potentially save money when insuring your Ford F-150 by improving your credit score.
- Insurance losses for a Ford F-150 - Insurance companies use statistical claims data as a way to help calculate a profitable premium price. Models that the data shows to have higher frequency or amount of claims will have increased rates.
The next table shows the collected loss data for Ford F-150 vehicles. For each type of coverage, the claim probability for all vehicles as a whole is set at 100. Numbers shown that are under 100 suggest a positive loss record, while values over 100 indicate frequent claims or an increased likelihood of larger losses.
Insurance Loss Ratings for Ford F-150 Vehicles
Specific Ford Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Ford F-150 SuperCab 4WD 67 110 39 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2WD 42 93 72 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4WD 75 76 101 56 57 76
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Lower-cost Ford F-150 insurance rates in Charleston
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but you can get discounts that you may not know about. Certain reductions will be credited when you complete an application, but some must be asked about prior to receiving the credit.
- Distant College Student Discount - Kids who are attending college and leave their car at home may qualify for this discount.
- Discounts for Government Workers - Federal government employees may reduce rates when you quote Charleston car insurance depending on your company.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage - Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to fasten their seat belts could cut 10% or more off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles - Buying insurance for several vehicles on the same insurance policy can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Discount for Life Insurance - Some companies give a small discount if you purchase life insurance from them.
- Defensive Driver Discount - Taking time to complete a driver safety course could cut 5% off your bill and easily pay for the cost of the class.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount - Cars, trucks, and SUVs equipped with ABS or steering control are much safer to drive and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Theft Deterrent System - Anti-theft and alarm system equipped vehicles can help prevent theft and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Sign Early and Save - A few insurance companies allow discounts for switching companies before your current F-150 insurance policy expires. The savings is around 10%.
You can save money using discounts, but most discounts do not apply to the entire policy premium. Most cut individual premiums such as comp or med pay. Even though it appears it's possible to get free car insurance, it doesn't quite work that way.
A partial list of companies that may offer some of the above discounts include:
If you need lower rates, check with each company which discounts you qualify for. A few discounts might not apply in Charleston. To find companies who offer insurance discounts in Charleston, follow this link.
Local Charleston car insurance agents and insurance
A small number of people just prefer to sit down and talk to an agent and that is not a bad decision Professional agents can answer important questions and help submit paperwork. The best thing about getting free rate quotes online is you may find cheap insurance quotes but also keep your business local.
To find an agent, once you fill out this short form, your insurance coverage information is instantly submitted to companies in Charleston that give free quotes for your coverage. There is no need to contact any insurance agencies due to the fact that quote results will go to the email address you provide. In the event you want to get a rate quote from a particular provider, you just need to navigate to their website and fill out their quote form.
Deciding on an insurer shouldn't rely on just a low price. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- Do the coverages you're quoting properly cover your vehicle?
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
- How is replacement cost determined on your vehicle?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
If you're trying to find a good Charleston insurance agent, it helps to know the two different types of agencies and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Insurance agents can be described as either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive). Both types of agents can provide insurance policies, but it's important to point out the difference in how they write coverage because it may have an impact on which type of agent you select.
These type of agents normally can only provide a single company's rates and some examples include Allstate and State Farm. These agents are not able to provide rate quotes from other companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive insurance agents are usually well trained on their company's products which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Consumers often use the same agent mostly because of the brand rather than low rates.
Below are exclusive insurance agents in Charleston who can help you get rate quotes.
- Allstate Insurance: Dan Martin
1405 Ashley River Rd - Charleston, SC 29407 - (843) 763-2007 - View Map
- GEICO Insurance Agent
5609 Rivers Ave - North Charleston, SC 29406 - (843) 974-6044 - View Map
- John Acker - State Farm Insurance Agent
630 Skylark Dr o - Charleston, SC 29407 - (843) 203-6855 - View Map
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents in the independent channel can quote rates with many companies and that allows them to write policies through lots of different companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If they find a cheaper price, an independent agent can move your coverage which requires no work on your part.
When shopping rates, you absolutely need to compare quotes from several independent insurance agents for maximum quote selection. Most also have access to less well-known companies that many times have cheaper rates.
Below are Charleston independent agencies that can give you price quote information.
- The Brinson Insurance Agency
759 Folly Rd #C - Charleston, SC 29412 - (843) 762-2086 - View Map
- Alarm Insurance Agency
4975 Lacross Rd #313 - North Charleston, SC 29406 - (800) 474-0933 - View Map
- Nationwide Insurance: Aydlette Services of the Lowcountry Inc
1144 Folly Rd - Charleston, SC 29412 - (843) 795-8111 - View Map
Once you have received positive feedback to all your questions and a good coverage price, it's a good possibility that you have found an insurance agent that can be trusted to properly service your insurance policy.
What insurance coverages do I need?
When buying proper insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is no single plan that fits everyone. Everyone's situation is unique and your car insurance should be unique as well. These are some specific questions might point out whether your personal situation could use an agent's help.
- Where can I find high-risk insurance?
- Should I carry comprehensive and collision coverage?
- When should I not file a claim?
- Should I put collision coverage on all my vehicles?
- Can my babysitter drive my car?
- I have health insurance so do I need medical payments coverage?
- Do I have coverage for damage caused while driving under the influence?
- Can my babysitter drive my car?
- Should I buy more coverage than the required South Carolina minimum liability coverage?
If you're not sure about those questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. If you don't have a local agent, fill out this quick form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It only takes a few minutes and you can get the answers you need.
Be persistent to save money
Cheaper Ford F-150 insurance in Charleston can be bought on the web in addition to local insurance agencies, and you should be comparing both to get a complete price analysis. Some auto insurance companies may not provide the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these small, regional companies provide coverage only through local independent agencies.
In this article, we presented some good ideas how to find affordable Ford F-150 insurance in Charleston. The most important thing to understand is the more quotes you get, the better likelihood of getting inexpensive Charleston car insurance quotes. Consumers could even find that the biggest savings come from the smaller companies. These companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost than the large multi-state companies such as Allstate or State Farm.
When getting Charleston car insurance quotes online, make sure you don't buy less coverage just to save a little money. There are too many instances where someone sacrificed physical damage coverage to discover at claim time that the savings was not a smart move. Your objective should be to find the BEST coverage at the best possible price while not skimping on critical coverages.
- Driving in Bad Weather (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for a Dodge Journey in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Young Drivers in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes for a Company Car in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Handicapped Drivers in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Single Moms in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- How Much are South Carolina Car Insurance Rates for Government Employees? (FAQ)
- Senior Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- Honda warning system reduces insurance claims (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)