Are you researching low-cost Volkswagen Beetle insurance in Columbia? Are you burned out from wondering where the money will come from to make your insurance payment? You're in the same situation as many other South Carolina consumers.
Astonishing but true, nearly 70% of consumers have stayed with the same insurance company for at least four years, and virtually 40% of consumers have never quoted insurance rates at all. Columbia consumers can save hundreds of dollars each year by just shopping around, but they don't understand how simple it is to compare rates.
Online insurance companies like Allstate and Progressive all claim big savings, bombarding you with fancy advertisements and it can be hard to see through the deception and take the time to shop coverage around.
You should take the time to get comparison quotes periodically because prices are variable and change quite frequently. Just because you found the best rates on Volkswagen Beetle insurance in Columbia a couple years back there is a good chance you can find better premium rates now. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about insurance because it's time to teach you the best way to lower your annual insurance bill.
Get cheap Volkswagen Beetle insurance in Columbia with discounts
Companies that sell car insurance don't list the entire discount list in an easy-to-find place, so below is a list some of the more common as well as some of the hidden credits available to bring down your rates. If you check and find you aren't receiving every discount you qualify for, you are just wasting money.
- Accident-Free Discounts - Insureds who avoid accidents and claims can earn big discounts in comparison with insureds who have frequent claims or accidents.
- Data Collection Discounts - Columbia drivers who agree to allow driving data collection to track driving habits by using a telematic data system such as Snapshot from Progressive or Drivewise from Allstate could see a rate decrease if they are good drivers.
- Safety Restraint Discount - Drivers who require all occupants to use a seat belt can save up to 15% on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- Payment Discounts - By making one initial payment instead of monthly or quarterly installments you could save up to 5%.
- Clubs and Organizations - Participating in qualifying employment or professional organizations can get you a small discount on your next renewal.
- Air Bag Discount - Vehicles equipped with air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems may qualify for discounts as much as 30%.
- Policy Bundle Discount - If you can bundle your auto and home insurance with the same insurance company you could get a discount of over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
- Lower Rates for Military - Being deployed in the military could be rewarded with lower premium rates.
You can save money using discounts, but most of the big mark downs will not be given to the overall cost of the policy. Some only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. Just because you may think it's possible to get free car insurance, you aren't that lucky.
If you would like to see a list of companies who offer cheap Volkswagen Beetle insurance quotes in Columbia in South Carolina, click here.
When comparing insurance rates, know that getting more free quotes increases your odds of finding a lower rate than you're paying now. Some smaller insurers do not give rate quotes online, so it's recommended that you also compare price estimates on coverage from those companies, too.
The companies shown below offer price quotes in South Carolina. If the list has multiple companies, it's highly recommended you visit two to three different companies to get a more complete price comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Beetle S 2-Dr Hatchback||$208||$440||$392||$24||$118||$1,182||$99|
|Beetle 2-Dr Convertible||$318||$706||$292||$18||$88||$1,422||$119|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices based on single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and South Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-policy, claim-free, homeowner, and multi-vehicle. Price information does not factor in vehicle location which can increase or decrease price quotes substantially.
Full coverage or liability only
The illustration below shows the difference between Volkswagen Beetle auto insurance costs with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying liability only. The costs are based on no claims, a clean driving record, $500 deductibles, single male driver, and no discounts are factored in.
Should you pay for full coverage or liability only?
There is no definitive formula of when to eliminate comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a general school of thought. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is more than around 10% of the vehicle's replacement cost less your deductible, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
For example, let's say your Volkswagen Beetle claim settlement value is $9,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most you would receive is $8,000 after the deductible is paid. If premiums are more than $800 a year to have full coverage, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
There are a few cases where eliminating full coverage is not recommended. If you haven't satisfied your loan, you have to keep full coverage in order to prevent your loan from defaulting. Also, if you can't afford to buy a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should not opt for liability only.
Illustration showing the impact of accidents and violations
The illustration below shows how speeding tickets and at-fault collisions can affect Volkswagen Beetle car insurance costs for each age group. The premiums are based on a single female driver, comp and collision included, $250 deductibles, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Physical damage deductibles: Should you raise them?
The information below highlights how deductible selection and can influence Volkswagen Beetle yearly insurance costs for different categories of driver ages. The prices are based on a single female driver, comp and collision included, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Smart Consumers Know How to Get Auto Insurance More Affordably
Many things are taken into consideration when premium rates are determined. Some factors are common sense like a motor vehicle report, although others are more transparent like your continuous coverage or your vehicle rating.
The items below are some of the most common factors used by companies to determine your premiums.
Never let your auto insurance policy expire - Driving your car without having proper coverage is a misdemeanor and any future policy may cost more because you let your coverage have a gap. Not only will you pay higher rates, not being able to provide proof of insurance can result in fines and jail time. You may need to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the South Carolina motor vehicle department.
Cars with good safety ratings mean better rates - Vehicles with good safety scores cost less to insure. Safer cars reduce injuries and lower injury rates means less claims paid which can result in lower premiums.
Alarm systems save money - Buying a car that has an advanced theft prevention system can get you a discount on your auto insurance. Anti-theft features such as GM's OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers help track and prevent car theft and help bring rates down.
Keep auto insurance rates low by being claim-free - If you tend to file frequent claims, you can expect either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Auto insurance companies in South Carolina award better rates to insureds who are claim-free. Insurance coverage is intended to be relied upon for more catastrophic claims.
Better drivers pay lower rates - Having a clean driving record impacts your car insurance rates tremendously. Good drivers pay less for auto insurance than bad drivers. Even one driving citation can boost insurance rates forty percent or more. Drivers who get severe violations like reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may find they need to prove financial responsibility with their state's licensing department in order to prevent a license revocation.
Incidental coverages are wasting money - Policies have additional extra coverages that can waste your money if you aren't careful. Coverages like personal injury protection, accidental death, and extra life insurance coverage may be wasting your money. These may sound like a good investment when buying your policy, but if you have no use for them think about removing them and cutting costs.
Type of car, truck or SUV determines base costs - The performance of the vehicle you are trying to find cheaper insurance for makes a significant difference in the rate you pay. The lowest premiums tend to be for lower performance four cylinder passenger cars, but your final cost has many other factors. Since the Volkswagen Beetle is considered a compact car, insuring your vehicle will cost the same to a little lower compared to average rates in Columbia.
Volkswagen Beetle insurance claim data - Car insurance companies use past insurance losses when determining insurance costs. Models that tend to have higher frequency or amount of claims will cost more to insure. The next table illustrates the compiled insurance loss statistics for Volkswagen Beetle vehicles.
For each coverage type, the claim amount for all vehicles averaged together is represented as 100. Percentage values below 100 suggest a better than average loss history, while values over 100 point to more frequent losses or a tendency for claims to be larger.
Volkswagen Beetle Insurance Claim Statistics
|Vehicle Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Volkswagen Beetle Convertible||85||78||95||76||89||79|
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Local insurance agents
A small number of people still prefer to buy from a local agent and there is nothing wrong with that. The best thing about comparing rates online is the fact that drivers can get lower rates but still work with a licensed agent.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this quick form, the coverage information is emailed to participating agents in Columbia who will give you quotes for your insurance coverage. You never need to even leave your home as quotes are delivered to you instantly. You can find lower rates without requiring a lot of work. If for some reason you want to compare rates from a particular provider, just jump over to their website and submit a quote form there.
Picking the best insurance company shouldn't rely on just a cheap quote. Before buying a policy in Columbia, get answers to these questions.
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- What is their Better Business Bureau rating?
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- Is there a 24/7 contact number?
If you want to buy car insurance from a local Columbia insurance agent, there are two types of insurance agents and how they can write your policy. Insurance agencies in Columbia are considered either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents that choose to be exclusive normally can only provide a single company's rates and examples are Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. Exclusive agencies are unable to compare rates from other companies so they really need to provide good service. They receive extensive training on sales techniques and that enables them to sell even at higher rates.
Below are Columbia exclusive agencies that are able to give price quote information.
Agents of this type are not limited to a single company so they can insure your vehicles through many companies depending on which coverage is best. If your agent finds better pricing, your policy is moved internally and the insured can keep the same agent.
If you need lower rates, you should always compare prices from several independent insurance agents in order to compare the most rates.
Shown below are Columbia independent agents that can give you rate quotes.
Smoak Insurance Agency, Inc.
1534 Leesburg Rd - Columbia, SC 29209 - (803) 254-4323 - View Map
After you get positive responses to any questions you may have in addition to an acceptable price estimate, you may have found an auto insurance agent that is professional and can insure your vehicles. Keep in mind you are able to terminate coverage at any time so don't think you're contractually obligated to a specific agent with no way to switch.
Why do I need car insurance?
Even though it can be expensive, maintaining insurance serves an important purpose.
- Almost all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a minimum amount of liability insurance coverage if you want to drive legally. In South Carolina these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Volkswagen Beetle, more than likely the lender will make it mandatory that you have full coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender may insure your Volkswagen at a more expensive rate and force you to pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Auto insurance protects both your vehicle and your personal assets. It will also provide coverage for all forms of medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, will also pay attorney fees if you are sued as the result of your driving. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of buying enough insurance definitely exceed the price paid, particularly for liability claims. Unknowingly, the average driver is currently overpaying as much as $750 every year so you should quote your policy with other companies at least once a year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
More quotes mean more insurance savings
We just covered a lot of information how to compare Volkswagen Beetle insurance premium rates in Columbia. The most important thing to understand is the more times you quote, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even discover the most savings is with a smaller regional carrier. They may often insure only within specific states and give getter rates compared to the large companies like GEICO and State Farm.
Some companies may not provide online quoting and most of the time these small, regional companies sell through independent agencies. Cheaper insurance in Columbia can be sourced online in addition to many Columbia insurance agents, so you need to compare both in order to have the best chance of saving money.
More information can be found below:
- Auto Insurance Learning Center (State Farm)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes After a Speeding Ticket in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes for Business Use in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable South Carolina Auto Insurance Quotes for a Hyundai Elantra? (FAQ)
- Automakers compete to add autobraking (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- What is a Telematics Device? (Allstate)
- Vehicle Insurance in the U.S. (Wikipedia)
- Five Mistakes to Avoid (Insurance Information Institute)