Would you prefer to buy the cheapest BMW X1 insurance in Columbia? Did you fall for a flashy sales pitch and buy an overpriced auto insurance policy? Don't sweat it because there are a lot of people in Columbia just like you who feel imprisoned by their auto insurance policy.
A recent NerdWallet.com study revealed that most drivers renewed their policy with the same company for at least the last four years, and about 40% of consumers have never even shopped around for cheaper coverage. The average driver in Columbia can save hundreds of dollars each year by just shopping around, but most just don't grasp the amount of money they would save if they switched to a cheaper policy.
People have many auto insurance companies to buy insurance from, and even though it's nice to have a choice, too many choices makes it more difficult to locate the cheapest rates for BMW X1 insurance in Columbia.
How to compare BMW X1 insurance quotes in Columbia
The are a couple different ways to compare prices from different companies. The simplest method to comparison shop is to get quotes online.
Doing price comparisons online is so simple that it takes the place of having to make phone calls or go to each insurance agency near you. Quoting BMW X1 insurance online makes this unnecessary unless you prefer the extra assistance of a local agency. Drivers can find lower rates online but buy from a local insurance agent.
When comparing auto insurance rates, know that quoting more helps improve the odds of finding lower pricing. Some smaller insurers do not give rate quotes online, so it's necessary to compare quotes from them as well.
The following companies are ready to provide free rate quotes in Columbia, SC. If multiple companies are shown, it's highly recommended you visit as many as you can to get the best price comparison.
Save money on BMW X1 insurance in Columbia with these discounts
Not many people think insurance is cheap, but discounts can save money and there are some available that can dramatically reduce your bill. Some discounts apply automatically at the time you complete a quote, but once in a while a discount must be asked for in order for you to get them. If you're not getting every credit you qualify for, it's possible you qualify for a lower rate.
- No Charge for an Accident - Not necessarily a discount, but companies like GEICO, State Farm, and Progressive permit an accident before raising your premiums so long as you haven't had any claims before the accident.
- Payment Method - If you pay your bill all at once as opposed to paying monthly you could save 5% or more.
- Safety Course Discount - Completing a defensive driving course could earn you a small percentage discount if you qualify.
- Paperless Signup - A handful of insurance companies give back up to $50 for signing up digitally online.
- Cautious Driver Discounts - Safe drivers may save up to 50% more compared to accident prone drivers.
- Discounts for New Vehicles - Putting insurance coverage on a new X1 may earn a small discount because new vehicles keep occupants safer.
- Bundled Policy Discount - If you have multiple policies with the same company you will save over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
- Distant Student Discount - College-age children who live away from home to go to college and leave their car at home may qualify for this discount.
- Life Insurance Discount - Some companies give a discounted price on car insurance if you buy auto and life insurance together.
- Military Rewards - Being deployed in the military can result in better insurance rates.
Please keep in mind that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the overall cost of the policy. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. Even though the math looks like you can get free auto insurance, companies wouldn't make money that way.
If you would like to choose from a list of insurance companies with discount rates in Columbia, click here to view.
Why you need insurance for your BMW X1
Despite the fact that car insurance is not cheap in Columbia, buying car insurance is required for several reasons.
- The majority of states have mandatory insurance requirements which means you are required to buy a minimum amount of liability insurance if you want to drive legally. In South Carolina these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your X1 with a loan, more than likely the lender will stipulate that you have full coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If you let the policy lapse, the lender may insure your BMW at a much higher rate and force you to pay for it.
- Insurance safeguards both your vehicle and your personal assets. It also can pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also pays expenses related to your legal defense if you are sued as the result of your driving. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of insuring your car more than cancel out the cost, especially for larger claims. The average driver in South Carolina overpays as much as $850 per year so you should quote and compare rates at every policy renewal to save money.
When to get professional advice
Always remember that when buying the best auto insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really isn't a "perfect" insurance plan. Every insured's situation is different and your policy should reflect that. For example, these questions may help you determine whether your personal situation might need professional guidance.
- Does my policy pay for OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
- Do I get a pro-rated refund if I cancel my policy early?
- Will my rates increase for filing one claim?
- When should my teen driver be added to my policy?
- Am I covered if I drive in a foreign country?
- How much liability do I need to cover my assets?
If you don't know the answers to these questions, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Insurance agencies near you
Some consumers still like to visit with an insurance agent and that is OK! One of the great benefits of comparing rates online is that drivers can save money and get cheap insurance quotes and still buy from a local agent. Buying from and supporting local agents is still important in Columbia.
Once you complete this form (opens in new window), the coverage information gets sent to participating agents in Columbia who can give free rate quotes for your business. There is no reason to even leave your home due to the fact that quote results will go directly to your email. You can most likely find cheaper rates and work with a local agent. If you have a need to compare rates from a particular provider, you would need to jump over to their website to submit a rate quote request.
Types of car insurance agents in Columbia
When narrowing the list to find local Columbia agents, it can be helpful to understand the different agency structures to choose from. Columbia agents can be categorized as either exclusive agents or independent agents.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent agencies can quote rates with many companies and that gives them the ability to insure through many companies and potentially find a lower price. If they quote lower rates, your policy is moved internally which makes it simple for you.
When comparing rate quotes, you will want to check rates from at a minimum one independent agency in order to have the best price comparison.
Below is a list of independent agents in Columbia that can give you cheap rate quotes.
Nationwide Insurance - Chichester Insurance Agency, Inc.
7340 Parklane Rd a - Columbia, SC 29223 - (803) 786-2224 - View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive insurance agents can only quote rates from one company such as AAA, Allstate, and State Farm. Exclusive agents cannot provide prices from multiple companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. These agents are well trained on their company's products which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates.
The following are Columbia exclusive insurance agencies that are able to give price quotes.
Picking an insurance agent is decision based upon more than just the bottom line cost. Here are some questions you might want to ask.
- Which insurance companies are they affiliated with?
- Will high miles depreciate repair valuations?
- Does the agent have a valid license to sell insurance in South Carolina?
- Do they see any coverage gaps in your plan?
- How many years of experience in personal auto insurance do they have?
If you feel you receive positive responses for all questions you ask as well as a affordable price, it's a good possibility that you have found an insurance agency that is reputable and can adequately provide insurance.