If you've never shopped for Columbia car insurance quotes online, it's easy to be overwhelmed thanks to all the different types of insurers selling insurance in Columbia.
Unthinkable but true, nearly 70% of consumers kept their coverage with the same auto insurance company for four years or more, and nearly the majority have never even shopped around for cheaper coverage. Most drivers in Columbia could cut their rates by roughly 55% a year by just comparing quotes, but they don't believe the benefits if they changed companies.
It's important to quote other rates quite often because prices trend upward over time. Even if you got the best deal on Ford Expedition insurance in Columbia last year a different company probably has better rates today. Block out anything you think you know about auto insurance because it's time to teach you one of the best ways to reduce your cost while increasing coverage.
Quoting the most affordable insurance policy in Columbia is simple if you know the tricks. Nearly everyone who comparison shops for insurance most likely will be able to reduce their rates. Nevertheless, South Carolina vehicle owners must know how big insurance companies market insurance on the web and use it to find better rates.
Best companies for Ford Expedition insurance
The following companies can provide quotes in South Carolina. If multiple companies are shown, we suggest you get price quotes from several of them to get the best price comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Expedition SSV 2WD||$208||$288||$296||$18||$88||$898||$75|
|Expedition XLT 2WD||$256||$436||$328||$20||$98||$1,138||$95|
|Expedition SSV 4WD||$220||$330||$298||$18||$90||$956||$80|
|Expedition XLT 4WD||$286||$546||$328||$20||$98||$1,278||$107|
|Expedition Eddie Bauer 2WD||$298||$524||$290||$18||$86||$1,216||$101|
|Expedition Limited 2WD||$332||$624||$290||$18||$86||$1,350||$113|
|Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD||$210||$330||$380||$22||$114||$1,056||$88|
|Expedition King Ranch 4WD||$246||$388||$298||$18||$90||$1,040||$87|
|Expedition King Ranch 2WD||$358||$612||$296||$18||$88||$1,372||$114|
|Expedition Limited 4WD||$264||$486||$350||$20||$106||$1,226||$102|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Above prices assume single male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and South Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, homeowner, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and safe-driver. Estimates do not factor in vehicle location which can impact prices greatly.
Policy deductible comparison
The example below illustrates how your choice of deductibles and can affect Ford Expedition premium costs for different insured age categories. The prices are based on a married male driver, full physical damage coverage, and no discounts are factored in.
Premiums by gender and age
The information below shows the comparison of Ford Expedition car insurance costs for male and female drivers. The rate quotes are based on no claims or driving citations, comp and collision included, $250 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Ford Expedition insurance discounts in Columbia
Some insurers don't always publicize all discounts very well, so the next list breaks down a few of the more well known as well as some of the hidden discounts that may be available.
- Government Employee Discount - Active or former government employment may reduce rates when you quote Columbia car insurance with certain companies.
- Passive Restraint Discount - Vehicles with factory air bags may get savings of up to 25% or more.
- Savings for New Vehicles - Buying a new car model can cost up to 25% less because new vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Smart Student Discounts - This discount may save as much as 25% on a Columbia car insurance quote. Earning this discount can benefit you up to age 25.
- Multi-car Discount - Purchasing coverage when you have all your vehicles on the same auto insurance policy can get a discount for every vehicle.
- E-sign - A few larger companies may give you up to $50 for signing up digitally online.
- Use Seat Belts - Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to use a seat belt can save up to 15% on the premium charged for medical payments and/or PIP.
- Drive Less and Save - Maintaining low annual mileage can qualify you for lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Onboard Data Collection - Drivers who elect to allow their insurance company to monitor driving habits remotely such as Progressive's Snapshot and State Farm's In-Drive might get better premium rates as long as the data is positive.
- Renewal Discounts - Select companies give a discount for buying a policy prior to your current Expedition insurance policy expiration. It's a savings of about 10%.
Policy discounts save money, but most of the big mark downs will not be given to all coverage premiums. Some only reduce individual premiums such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. Despite the appearance that all the discounts add up to a free policy, companies wouldn't make money that way.
A list of auto insurance companies and some of their more popular discounts are detailed below.
- Progressive includes discounts for online signing, online quote discount, homeowner, multi-vehicle, and good student.
- MetLife offers discounts for good student, accident-free, good driver, defensive driver, multi-policy, and claim-free.
- Mercury Insurance offers discounts including ease of repair, professional/association, type of vehicle, anti-theft, and accident-free.
- Nationwide has discounts for accident-free, multi-policy, Farm Bureau membership, anti-theft, family plan, and business or organization.
- GEICO may include discounts for good student, daytime running lights, air bags, multi-vehicle, and five-year accident-free.
- AAA may have discounts that include good student, pay-in-full, multi-policy, anti-theft, AAA membership discount, good driver, and education and occupation.
When getting free Columbia car insurance quotes, it's a good idea to each company or agent the best way to save money. Some discounts listed above might not apply in Columbia.
Smart Buyers Can Lower Their Insurance Premiums
Multiple criteria are part of the equation when you get a price on insurance. Some are obvious such as your driving history, but some are less apparent such as your marital status or how financially stable you are. Part of the car insurance buying process is learning the factors that help determine the rates you pay for car insurance. If you have some idea of what determines base rates, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that may reward you with lower rates.
Vehicle features that lower premiums - Buying a car with a theft deterrent system can save you some money. Advanced theft deterrents such as vehicle immobilizer systems, OnStar, and tracking devices like LoJack help track and prevent vehicle theft.
Affects performance affects rates - The make and model of the car you are insuring makes a substantial difference in your rates. Due to the fact that the Ford Expedition is considered a standard SUV, insurance will be slightly more as compared to the average rate in Columbia. Economy passenger models usually are quite affordable to insure, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
What's your car's NHTSA crash test rating? - Vehicles with high crash test scores are cheaper to insure. The safest vehicles reduce occupant injuries and any reduction in injury severity translates directly to fewer claims which can mean better rates for you. If your Ford Expedition has at least an "acceptable" rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website or four stars on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website it may be receiving lower rates.
Your credit rating is important - A driver's credit score can be a huge factor in your rate calculation. Consumers who have good credit tend to be more responsible than drivers with lower credit ratings. So if your credit history can be improved, you could pay less to insure your Ford Expedition by taking the time to improve your credit score.
Where do you drive? - The more you drive your Ford every year the more you will pay for car insurance. The majority of insurers price each vehicle's coverage based on their usage. Cars and trucks that are left in the garage can get a lower rate than those that get driven frequently. Ask your agent if your car insurance declarations sheet correctly shows how each vehicle is driven. Improper usage on your Expedition is throwing money out the window.
High car insurance claims frequency drives up rates - If you're an insured who likes to file claims you can expect much higher rates or policy non-renewal. Companies in South Carolina give the best rates to policyholders who do not file claims often. Your car insurance is meant to be used in the event of major claims that would cause financial hardship.
City traffic equals higher costs - Having an address in small towns and rural areas has it's advantages when buying car insurance. Drivers who live in large cities have more aggressive driving styles and longer commute times. Less people living in that area means a lower chance of having an accident.
Loss statistics for a Ford Expedition - Companies include the past claim history for a vehicle when they file their rates in each state. Models that the data determines to have a higher amount or frequency of claims will have higher rates.
The information below illustrates the collected loss data for Ford Expedition vehicles. For each policy coverage, the claim probability for all vehicles as a whole is set at 100. Numbers under 100 suggest losses that are better than average, while values that are above 100 indicate more frequent claims or tendency to have larger claims.
Ford Expedition Insurance Claim Statistics
|Specific Ford Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Ford Expedition 4dr 2WD||67||88||82||55||45||70|
|Ford Expedition 4dr 4WD||70||98||90||54||62||56|
|Ford Expedition EL 4dr 2WD||74||104||97||52|
|Ford Expedition EL 4dr 4WD||88||96||110||63||60||96|
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Car insurance is unique, just like you
Always remember that when buying a policy for your personal vehicles, there isn't really a "best" method to buy coverage. Every insured's situation is different so this has to be addressed. Here are some questions about coverages that can help discover if your situation would benefit from professional advice.
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- Will my Ford Expedition be repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Am I covered when driving on a suspended license?
- Is there a penalty for late payment?
- Can I afford to buy a different vehicle if my Ford Expedition is totaled?
- Do I get a pro-rated refund if I cancel my policy early?
- Should I sign the liability waiver when renting a car?
- Should I file a claim if it's only slightly more than my deductible?
If you can't answer these questions, you might consider talking to a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Compare prices but buy from a neighborhood Columbia auto insurance agent
Many drivers still like to sit down and talk to an agent and often times that is recommended An additional benefit of price shopping on the web is you may find lower rates but still work with a licensed agent. And providing support for local insurance agencies is important particularly in Columbia.
Upon completion of this quick form, your coverage information is submitted to insurance agents in Columbia who will gladly provide quotes for your car insurance coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to even leave your home since price quotes are sent to your email. You can find lower rates without having to waste a lot of time. In the event you want to get a comparison quote from one company in particular, you would need to search and find their rate quote page and submit a quote form there.
Insurance agent types
When finding an insurance agent, you need to know there are two types of insurance agents and how they operate. Car insurance policy providers can either be exclusive or independent.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
These type of agents are not locked into one company and that enables them to quote your coverage with lots of companies and find the cheapest car insurance rates. If you are not satisfied with one company, your agent can just switch to a different company and you can keep the same agent. When comparing car insurance prices, you definitely need to check rates from independent agents to have the best price comparison. Many independent agencies also insure through mutual insurance companies that many times have cheaper rates.
Below is a small list of independent insurance agencies in Columbia who may be able to give you rate quotes.
- Insurit Insurance Agency
4001 Edmund Hwy - West Columbia, SC 29170 - (803) 755-0543 - View Map
- Claxton Insurance Agency, LLC
9300 Two Notch Rd - Columbia, SC 29223 - (803) 400-1911 - View Map
- Russell-Massey and Company
1320 Elmwood Ave - Columbia, SC 29201 - (803) 779-7854 - View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
These agents generally can only insure with one company and examples are American Family, State Farm, and Allstate. Exclusive agencies are unable to compare other company's rates so they really need to provide good service. Exclusive agencies receive a lot of sales training on what they offer which helps them compete with independent agents. Some insured continue to buy from the same agent for years primarily because of the prominent brand name rather than having low rates.
The following is a short list of exclusive insurance agencies in Columbia that can give you price quotes.
- Rick Anthony - State Farm Insurance Agent
6226 Bush River Rd b - Columbia, SC 29212 - (803) 781-9810 - View Map
- Theresa Miley - State Farm Insurance Agent
452 W Killian Rd d - Columbia, SC 29203 - (803) 764-6779 - View Map
- Veronica Isaac - State Farm Insurance Agent
1920 Bull St c - Columbia, SC 29201 - (803) 779-6650 - View Map
Finding the right insurance agency requires you to look at more than just the price. Any agent in Columbia should be willing to answer these questions.
- Do they get paid more for recommending certain coverages?
- Are they primarily personal or commercial lines agents in Columbia?
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
- In the event of vehicle damage, can you pick the collision repair facility?
- Which members of your family are coverage by the policy?
- When do they do a full risk review?
Auto insurance companies such as State Farm, Allstate and GEICO consistently run television and radio advertisements. All the ads tend to make the same promise that you can save if you change your policy. How does each company cost less than your current company? This is the way they can do it.
Most companies offer their best rates for the type of customer that makes them money. For example, a preferred risk might be a married male, carries full coverage, and drives less than 5,000 miles a year. Someone who fits those characteristics will probably get cheap premium rates and as a result will probably save when switching.
Potential insureds who do not match these stringent criteria will be charged higher premiums and this results in business not being written. If you pay attention, the ads say "people who switch" not "everyone that quotes" save the amount stated. That's the way companies can truthfully advertise the savings.
That is why you absolutely need to get a wide range of price quotes. It's impossible to know which auto insurance company will give you lower car insurance rates than your current company.
A little work can save a LOT of money
Cheap Ford Expedition insurance in Columbia can be bought both online in addition to many Columbia insurance agents, so get free Columbia car insurance quotes from both of them to have the best selection. Some companies do not provide online quoting and these small insurance companies work with independent agencies.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, you should never reduce needed coverages to save money. In too many instances, an insured cut collision coverage only to find out that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your strategy should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage for the lowest cost but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
Additional detailed information is located by following these links:
- Understanding Limits and Deductibles (Allstate)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest in North Charleston, South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Auto Insurance Facts and Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Shopping for a Safe Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- How to Avoid Buying a Flooded Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- Safe Vehicles for Teens (iihs.org)