When looking for cheaper insurance, are you frustrated by the sheer number of insurance sources available to you? Many other drivers are too. You have so many choices that it can easily turn into a real hassle to lower your prices for Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG insurance in Columbia. If you've ever been there, you know that Columbia has lots to offer, but the high cost of insurance can make it nearly impossible for many drivers to affordably insure vehicles.
Unfortunately, the majority of drivers kept their policy with the same company for four years or more, and practically 40% of insurance customers have never compared rates from other carriers. Many consumers in the United States could save an average of as much as 47% each year just by getting comparison quotes, but most just don't grasp the amount of money they would save if they just switched companies.
Low-cost companies for Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG insurance
The companies shown below provide comparison quotes in South Carolina. If the list has multiple companies, we recommend you visit as many as you can to get the most competitive price.
Columbia Insurance Rates are Influenced by These Factors
Multiple criteria are considered when pricing auto insurance. A few of the factors are predictable like a motor vehicle report, but some are not as apparent such as your marital status or your vehicle rating.
- Cars with good safety ratings save money - Vehicles with high crash test scores tend to have lower insurance rates. Safe vehicles reduce injuries and any reduction in injury severity translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and cheaper rates on your policy.
- Rates are impacted by vehicle performance - The make and model of the car, truck or SUV you need insurance for makes a substantial difference in the rate you pay. The cheapest insurance rates are generally reserved for the lowest performance passenger cars, but there are many factors that impact the final cost. Because the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG is classified as a luxury sports car, insuring your vehicle will cost up to twice as much compared to average rates in Columbia.
- Only buy what you need - Insurance companies have many extra add-on coverages that can add up if you aren't careful. Coverages for vanishing deductibles, accidental death, and extra equipment coverage could be just wasting money. These may sound like a good investment when deciding what coverages you need, but if you don't need them remove them from your policy.
- How much liability insurance - Your auto insurance policy's liability coverage will provide protection in the event that a jury decides you are liable for damages caused by your negligence. Your liability coverage provides legal defense coverage to attempt to prove you were not liable. This coverage is relatively inexpensive when compared to the cost of physical damage coverage, so do not cut corners here.
- Are you male or female? - Over the last 30 years, statistics show that females take fewer risks when driving. Now that doesn't mean women are better drivers. Males and females cause accidents in similar percentages, but males tend to have higher claims. Not only are claims higher, but men receive more major tickets like reckless driving and DUI.
- Low comp and collision deductibles cost more - Protection for physical damage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, helps pay for damage to your vehicle. Examples of covered claims are collision with another vehicle, collision with an animal, and windstorm damage. Your deductibles state the amount of money you are willing to pay in the event of a claim. The higher the amount the insured has to pay upfront, the lower your rates will be.
- Does your job raise your rates? - Occupational choices like lawyers, social workers and stock brokers have the highest rates in part from intense work situations and lots of time spent at work. On the other hand, jobs such as scientists, students and retirees pay lower than average rates.
Cheaper rates with discounts
Buying car insurance is not cheap, but there could be significant discounts that you may not even be aware of. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically when you get a quote, but some must be manually applied prior to receiving the credit.
- Discounts for Responsible Drivers - Drivers without accidents can save up to 40% or more on their Columbia auto insurance quote compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
- Multiple Policy Discount - If you insure your home and vehicles with the same company you may earn up to 20% and get you the cheapest Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG insurance in Columbia.
- College Student Discount - Children who are attending college without a vehicle on campus may qualify for this discount.
- Good Students Pay Less - Performing well in school can earn a discount of 20% or more. The good student discount can last up to age 25.
- Driving Data Discount - Columbia drivers who agree to allow driving data submission to spy on driving patterns by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as Progressive's Snapshot and State Farm's In-Drive may see discounts if they show good driving skills.
- 55 and Retired - Older drivers can get better car insurance rates.
- Life Insurance - Some companies give a discount if you purchase a life policy as well.
Discounts reduce rates, but you should keep in mind that some credits don't apply to the entire cost. Most only cut the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though you would think adding up those discounts means a free policy, you won't be that lucky. But any discount should help lower the cost of your policy.
Some of the insurance companies who might offer most of the discounts above include:
When getting free Columbia auto insurance quotes, it's a good idea to each company to give you their best rates. Depending on the company, some discounts may not apply to policies in Columbia. To see insurers that provide some of the discounts listed above in Columbia, follow this link.
Auto insurance agents near you
A lot of people just prefer to buy from a local agent and there is nothing wrong with that. One of the benefits of getting online price quotes is that you can obtain cheap insurance rates and still have an agent to talk to.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this quick form, your insurance data is submitted to agents in your area who will return price quotes for your business. You won't need to do any legwork because quoted prices will be sent to your email. You can find lower rates AND a local agent. If you wish to get a price quote from a particular provider, you just need to jump over to their website and fill out their quote form.
Finding a good insurance company requires more thought than just the bottom line cost. The following questions are important to ask.
- Is the quote a firm price?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- Is the agent CPCU or CIC certified?
- How many years have they been established?
- Is assistance available after office hours?
- What is the agency's Better Business Bureau rating?
If you are searching for a local insurance agency, there are a couple of different types of agencies and how they can quote your rates. Insurance agencies can be classified as either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents in the exclusive channel have only one company to place business with like State Farm, Allstate and AAA. These agents are unable to compare other company's rates so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive insurance agents are trained well on the products they sell which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Consumers often buy from the same agent for years mainly due to loyalty to the company and the convenience of having all coverages with one company.
The following are exclusive agents in Columbia that can give you comparison quotes.
- Amy Masincupp - State Farm Insurance Agent
612 St Andrews Rd #4 - Columbia, SC 29210 - (803) 772-5554 - View Map
- Bill Weathersbee - State Farm Insurance Agent
9440 Two Notch Rd - Columbia, SC 29223 - (803) 788-7981 - View Map
- James Tanner - State Farm Insurance Agent
1821 Clemson Rd #1 - Columbia, SC 29229 - (803) 865-7800 - View Map
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agents do not have single company limitations so they have the ability to put coverage with many different companies depending on which coverage is best. If they find a lower price, they can switch companies in-house which is easy for the insured. If you are comparing rate quotes, you will definitely want to include price quotes from a few independent agents for maximum quote selection. Most also write with smaller mutual companies which can save you money.
The following are Columbia independent insurance agencies that are able to give comparison quotes.
- Russell-Massey and Company
1320 Elmwood Ave - Columbia, SC 29201 - (803) 779-7854 - View Map
- Livingston Insurance Agency
100 9th St - West Columbia, SC 29169 - (803) 791-1120 - View Map
- Claxton Insurance Agency
7008 Shakespeare Rd - Columbia, SC 29223 - (803) 400-1911 - View Map
Once you have received good answers to these questions and an affordable coverage quote, you may have just found a car insurance agent that can be relied on to insure your vehicles.
When to get professional advice
When it comes to buying your policy, there isn't really a "perfect" insurance plan. Your needs are not the same as everyone else's and your policy should reflect that. These are some specific questions can aid in determining whether you could use an agent's help.
- Does my insurance cover damage caused when ticketed for reckless driving?
- Why do I only qualify for high-risk insurance?
- Should I have a commercial auto policy?
- How high should deductibles be on a Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG?
- Does coverage extend to a rental car in a foreign country?
- Can I get by with minimal medical coverage if I have good health insurance?
- Will my rates increase for filing one claim?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- Do I get a pro-rated refund if I cancel my policy early?
If you're not sure about those questions but a few of them apply, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
The best insurance company isn't always the cheapest
When trying to cut insurance costs, you should never reduce needed coverages to save money. In too many instances, someone dropped liability limits or collision coverage only to regret that they should have had better coverage. The aim is to buy the best coverage you can find at a price you can afford.
Budget-friendly auto insurance in Columbia is possible on the web and with local Columbia insurance agents, and you need to price shop both so you have a total pricing picture. Some companies may not have online price quotes and most of the time these small insurance companies only sell through independent agents.
For more information, take a look at these articles:
- Uninsured Motorists: Threats on the Road (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Active Military in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for a Honda Civic in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Highlander in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable South Carolina Car Insurance Quotes for a 20 Year Old Male? (FAQ)
- If I File a Claim will My Insurance Go Up? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Higher speed limits cause more fatalities (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Child Safety Seats (Insurance Information Institute)