I doubt anyone anticipates paying for insurance, in particular when they could find better rates elsewhere.
Sadly, a large majority of consumers kept their coverage with the same insurance company for well over three years, and nearly 40% of drivers have never even compared quotes to find lower-cost rates. Columbia insurance shoppers could save as much as $749 every year by just comparing rate quotes, but most tend to underestimate how much savings they would realize if they just switched companies.
Since you have so many options when it comes to insurance, it's difficult to pick the lowest cost company.
It is always a good idea to shop coverage around on a regular basis because prices change quite often. Just because you found the best rates on Scion iQ insurance in Columbia a few years ago there is a good chance you can find better rate quotes now. Forget all the misinformation about insurance because you're going to learn the proper way to properly buy coverages and cut your premium.
Buy Columbia Scion iQ insurance online
To find cheaper rates, there are a couple of ways to compare prices from different companies. The best way to find cheaper Scion iQ rates consists of shopping online.
Comparing free quotes online is easy and it, takes the place of having to physically go to local Columbia insurance agencies. The fact that you can get quotes online eliminates the need for an insurance agent unless you require the peace of mind of a local agency. You can, however, find lower rates online and still use a local agent. Just keep in mind that more quotes will increase your chances of finding the best offered rates.
The following companies provide price quotes in Columbia, SC. If multiple providers are shown, it's highly recommended you visit two to three different companies to get the best price comparison.
Insurance is not optional in South Carolina
Despite the fact that insurance is not cheap in Columbia, paying for insurance is not optional due to several reasons.
- Most states have mandatory insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific minimum amount of liability protection in order to get the vehicle licensed. In South Carolina these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your iQ, most lenders will make it mandatory that you have comprehensive coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Scion at a more expensive rate and force you to pay for the expensive policy.
- Insurance protects not only your Scion iQ but also your financial assets. It will also pay for hospital and medical expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability insurance also pays expenses related to your legal defense if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, your insurance policy will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of buying insurance are definitely more than the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. But the average American driver is overpaying over $855 a year so compare quotes from several companies each time the policy renews to save money.
Smart Consumers Can Lower Their Insurance Prices
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the factors that aid in calculating the level of your policy premiums. If you have some idea of what controls the rates you pay, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that may reward you with better auto insurance rates.
Premiums impacted by vehicle usage - The more you drive each year the more you will pay for auto insurance. Many insurance companies charge rates based on their usage. Autos used primarily for pleasure use receive lower rates compared to those used for work or business. Incorrect rating for your iQ is throwing money out the window. Verify your auto insurance declarations sheet properly reflects annual mileage, because improper ratings can cost you money.
Vehicle options impact auto insurance rates - Buying a car that has an advanced theft prevention system can save you a little every year. Systems that thwart thieves such as vehicle immobilizer systems, OnStar, and tracking devices like LoJack can help prevent auto theft.
Amount of liability coverage - Liability coverage will protect you when a court rules you are at fault for an accident. Liability insurance provides you with a defense in court starting from day one. This coverage is very inexpensive compared to comp and collision, so drivers should buy more than the minimum limits required by law.
Traffic violations will cost you - Having a single citation can increase rates by as much as twenty percent. Careful drivers get better rates than their less careful counterparts. Drivers with multiple tickets like reckless driving or DUI may face state-mandated requirements to complete a SR-22 with their state's licensing department in order to legally drive a vehicle.
Premiums for men may be higher - Statistics demonstrate that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. The data does not necessarily mean that females are better at driving than males. Both sexes tend to get into accidents at a similar rate, but the men cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. Men also tend to have more aggressive citations like DWI (DUI) or reckless driving. Young men ages 16 to 20 are the most expensive to insure and therefore pay the highest rates.
Costs can change based on your address - Being located in areas with lower population is a positive aspect if you are looking for the lowest rates. People in densely populated areas have more traffic problems and more severe claims. Fewer drivers translates into fewer accidents.
Scion iQ claim probability - Insurers factor in historical loss data to calculate a rate that offsets possible losses. Vehicles that statistically have a trend towards higher claim severity or frequency will have higher premium rates. The table below illustrates the collected loss data for Scion iQ vehicles.
For each policy coverage, the claim amount for all vehicles, as a total average, is represented as 100. Numbers under 100 imply a favorable loss record, while numbers above 100 indicate higher probability of having a loss or statistically larger claims.
Car Insurance Loss Data for Scion iQ Models
|Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Score discounts on Columbia car insurance
Not many people think insurance is cheap, but companies offer discounts that you may not even know about. Some of these discounts will be visible at the time of purchase, but some need to be inquired about in order for you to get them.
- Sign Early and Save - A few larger companies give discounts for switching to them prior to your current iQ insurance policy expiring. It could save around 10% when you buy Columbia car insurance online.
- Own a Home and Save - Just being a homeowner may trigger a policy discount on car insurance because maintaining a house requires personal responsibility.
- Discounts for New Vehicles - Putting coverage on a new iQ can save you some money compared to insuring an older model.
- Discounts for Federal Employees - Active or retired federal employment may qualify for a discount when you quote Columbia car insurance depending on your company.
- Multiple Vehicles - Buying coverage for multiple cars with the same car insurance company can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Service Members Pay Less - Having a family member in the military could trigger a small discount.
- Multiple Policy Discount - If you insure your home and vehicles with the same insurance company you could get a discount of at least 10% off all policies.
- Accident Free - Columbia drivers who stay claim-free get the best car insurance rates as compared to drivers with a long claim history.
- Accident Forgiveness Coverage - This isn't a discount exactly, but companies like Allstate, State Farm and GEICO allow you one accident before hitting you with a surcharge as long as you don't have any claims for a specific time period.
Keep in mind that most of the big mark downs will not be given to your bottom line cost. Some only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though you would think adding up those discounts means a free policy, nobody gets a free ride.
Larger car insurance companies and some of their more popular discounts are:
- State Farm offers discounts for Drive Safe & Save, accident-free, passive restraint, good student, and defensive driving training.
- Liberty Mutual offers premium reductions for new move discount, multi-car, newly retired, new graduate, multi-policy, hybrid vehicle, and new vehicle discount.
- American Family may include discounts for air bags, early bird, Steer into Savings, TimeAway discount, and multi-vehicle.
- Progressive may offer discounts for online signing, homeowner, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and continuous coverage.
- Farmers Insurance offers discounts including homeowner, early shopping, switch companies, bundle discounts, teen driver, mature driver, and business and professional.
- Auto-Owners Insurance policyholders can earn discounts including anti-theft, paperless, safe vehicle, group or association, air bags, good student, and multiple vehicles.
- SAFECO may have discounts that include teen safety rewards, anti-theft, anti-lock brakes, safe driver, bundle discounts, multi-car, and accident prevention training.
If you are trying to find affordable Columbia car insurance quotes, ask every prospective company how many discounts you can get. Some discounts listed above may not apply in your area. For a list of car insurance companies who offer discounts in Columbia, click here to view.
Situations that may require an agent's advice
When it comes to choosing a policy, there really is not a single plan that fits everyone. Each situation is unique so your insurance needs to address that. Here are some questions about coverages that can aid in determining whether you might need professional guidance.
- Are my company tools covered if they get stolen?
- What is PIP insurance?
- Do I need more liability coverage?
- Can my babysitter drive my car?
- Is a blown tire covered by insurance?
- Am I covered if I have no license?
- Am I covered by my spouse's policy after a separation?
- When should I remove my kid from my policy?
- Is borrowed equipment or tools covered if stolen or damaged?
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
If you can't answer these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Insurance agent or online?
Some consumers still like to have an agent's advice and we recommend doing that An additional benefit of comparing car insurance online is you may find the best rates and still choose a local agent.
Upon completion of this simple form, your insurance coverage information is immediately sent to local insurance agents in Columbia who will give competitive quotes to get your business. You don't have to find an agent because quoted prices will be sent instantly to you. You can find better rates and a licensed agent to work with. In the event you want to get a price quote from a specific insurance company, you just need to visit that company's website and give them your coverage information.
Picking the best insurance company shouldn't rely on just the quoted price. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- Do they receive special compensation for putting your coverage with one company over another?
- Is the coverage adequate for your vehicle?
- What discounts might you be missing?
- Are all drivers listed on the coverage quote?
When searching for a reliable agent, you must know there are a couple types of insurance agents that you can choose from. Car insurance agencies can be categorized as either independent agents or exclusive agents.
Agents that choose to be exclusive can only quote rates from one company and examples are Farmers Insurance, Allstate, or State Farm. Exclusive agencies are unable to compare rates from other companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. They are very knowledgeable on what they offer which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Below is a list of exclusive insurance agencies in Columbia that can give you price quotes.
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents of this type are appointed with more than one company so they can quote policies through many companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If they find a lower price, they can switch companies in-house which is easy for the insured. If you are comparing car insurance prices, we recommend you get some free quotes from at least one independent agent for the best price selection.
The following are independent insurance agencies in Columbia willing to provide comparison quotes.
After talking to the agent and getting positive feedback to these questions and a good coverage price, you may have found an insurance agency that can properly insure your vehicles. But remember, you can always cancel your coverage whenever you choose to so don't assume you're contractually obligated to the car insurance policy indefinitely.
When trying to cut insurance costs, never reduce needed coverages to save money. In too many instances, someone sacrificed full coverage only to discover later that the savings was not a smart move. The goal is to purchase plenty of coverage for the lowest cost, but don't skip important coverages to save money.
We've covered some good ideas how you can get a better price on Scion iQ insurance in Columbia. The most important thing to understand is the more times you quote, the better likelihood of getting affordable Scion iQ insurance quotes. You may even discover the biggest savings come from a smaller regional carrier. Regional companies may only write in your state and offer lower premium rates than their larger competitors like State Farm and Allstate.
Additional information can be read at the links below
- Honda warning system reduces insurance claims (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Young Drivers in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for a Ford Focus in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable South Carolina Car Insurance Quotes for Seniors? (FAQ)
- How Much are South Carolina Car Insurance Quotes for High Risk Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable South Carolina Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers with a Bad Driving Record? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable South Carolina Auto Insurance Quotes for a Hyundai Elantra? (FAQ)
- How to Avoid Staged Accidents (State Farm)
- Choosing an Insurance Company (Insurance Information Institute)
- Neck Injury FAQ (iihs.org)