Are you searching for more competitive Toyota Tacoma insurance in Columbia? Trying to find cheaper insurance for a Toyota Tacoma in South Carolina can turn out to be a lot of work, but you can learn these tips to find lower rates. There are more efficient ways to shop for insurance and you need to know the best way to quote coverages for a Toyota and obtain the cheapest rates from both online companies and Columbia agents.
If you already have coverage or just want cheaper coverage, you will benefit by learning to get lower rates and still have adequate protection. Shopping for the lowest cost policy in Columbia is actually quite simple. Drivers only need to know the best way to compare price quotes online.
Auto insurance providers offering affordable prices in South Carolina
The following companies have been selected to offer comparison quotes in Columbia, SC. If multiple companies are listed, it's a good idea that you visit as many as you can in order to find the cheapest rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Tacoma Double Cab 4WD||$264||$444||$342||$20||$102||$1,172||$98|
|Tacoma X-Runner 2WD||$230||$532||$328||$20||$98||$1,208||$101|
|Tacoma Double Cab 4WD||$368||$652||$460||$28||$138||$1,646||$137|
|Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off-Road Package 4WD||$258||$450||$328||$20||$98||$1,154||$96|
|Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport Package 4WD||$286||$520||$386||$22||$116||$1,330||$111|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data represents single female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and South Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, homeowner, claim-free, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle. Premium costs do not factor in specific garaging location which can lower or raise insurance rates noticeably.
Where to set your deductibles
The information below illustrates how choosing a deductible and can influence Toyota Tacoma premium costs for different age groups. The data assumes a married male driver, comp and collision included, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Columbia insurance discounts for a Toyota Tacoma
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but companies offer discounts that you may not even be aware of. A few discounts will be applied at the time of quoting, but once in a while a discount must be asked for before they will apply. If you do not double check each discount possible, you are paying more than you should be.
- Multi-car Discount - Insuring all your vehicles on a single policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Active Military Service - Having a family member in the military may lower your car insurance rates slightly.
- Save over 55 - Mature drivers may be able to get a small discount on rates.
- Pay Early and Save - By making one initial payment instead of paying each month you could save up to 5%.
- ABS and Traction Control Discounts - Cars and trucks with ABS and/or traction control prevent accidents and will save you 10% or more on Tacoma insurance in Columbia.
- Passive Restraint Discount - Factory options such as air bags can get savings of 25 to 30%.
- Early Renewal Discounts - Some larger companies reward drivers for switching policies before your current Tacoma insurance policy expires. Ten percent is about the average savings.
- Savings for New Vehicles - Insuring a vehicle that is new is cheaper because new vehicles are generally safer.
- Discount for Life Insurance - Larger companies have better premium rates if you take out a life policy as well.
Please keep in mind that many deductions do not apply to the whole policy. Most only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. Just because you may think all those discounts means the company will pay you, company stockholders wouldn't be very happy.
A few popular companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are:
- Farm Bureau may include discounts for multi-vehicle, youthful driver, renewal discount, multi-policy, safe driver, good student, and 55 and retired.
- Liberty Mutual policyholders can earn discounts including newly married, preferred payment discount, teen driver discount, multi-policy, new vehicle discount, safety features, and exclusive group savings.
- State Farm has savings for multiple autos, good driver, Drive Safe & Save, multiple policy, safe vehicle, and driver's education.
- Auto-Owners Insurance offers discounts for student away at school, company car, paperless, teen driver, multiple vehicles, and air bags.
- GEICO offers discounts including five-year accident-free, multi-policy, anti-theft, good student, military active duty, and air bags.
- SAFECO offers premium reductions for teen safety rewards, accident prevention training, anti-lock brakes, teen safe driver, anti-theft, drive less, and multi-car.
When quoting, ask each company which discounts can lower your rates. Discounts might not apply in Columbia. To see companies who offer cheap Toyota Tacoma insurance quotes in South Carolina, click this link.
You are unique and your auto insurance should be too
When it comes to the best auto insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a "best" method to buy coverage. Everyone's situation is unique so your insurance needs to address that. Here are some questions about coverages that can help discover whether you would benefit from professional advice.
- Do I have coverage when using my vehicle for my home business?
- Does my personal policy cover me when driving out-of-state?
- Is my trailer covered?
- Does having multiple vehicles earn me a discount?
- How much will a speeding ticket raise my rates?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
If you don't know the answers to these questions, you may need to chat with an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area. It is quick, free and you can get the answers you need.
Exclusive versus independent car insurance agents
Certain consumers still like to buy from a licensed agent and doing that can be a smart decision Good agents are highly skilled in risk management and will help you if you have claims. One of the great benefits of price shopping on the web is that drivers can save money and get cheaper car insurance rates and still have a local agent.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), your information is transmitted to insurance agents in Columbia that give free quotes for your business. You won't even need to do any legwork since price quotes are sent directly to your email. If you need to quote rates from a specific company, feel free to go to their quote page and fill out their quote form.
Choosing an insurer is decision based upon more than just a cheap quote. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- Does the quote include credit and driving reports?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
- Do the coverages you're quoting properly cover your vehicle?
- Do they prorate repair cost based on vehicle mileage?
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
- How would your car be valued if totalled?
When looking for a reputable agency, it's helpful to know the types of insurance agents to choose from. Insurance agents in Columbia can either be independent agents or exclusive agents. Either one can write insurance policies, but it's important to know how they differ because it may have an impact on the kind of agent you use.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive agents work for only one company and some examples include American Family, State Farm, and Allstate. They generally cannot place coverage with different providers so they really need to provide good service. They are usually quite knowledgeable on their company's products which helps them compete with independent agents. Drivers often buy insurance from these agents primarily because of high brand loyalty and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
The following are Columbia exclusive agents who may provide you with price quote information.
- Allstate Insurance: Eric Loebs
6911 N Trenholm Rd #3 - Columbia, SC 29206 - (803) 782-5445 - View Map
- Allstate Insurance: The Owens Agency, LLC
6316 St Andrews Rd b - Columbia, SC 29212 - (803) 798-0404 - View Map
- Milton Wright - State Farm Insurance Agent
4015 Forest Dr #104 - Columbia, SC 29204 - (803) 782-6400 - View Map
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent insurance agents do not write with just one company so as a result can place your coverage with a variety of different insurance companies and get you the best rates possible. To transfer your coverage to a different company, they simply move your policy to a different company which makes it simple for you.
If you are trying to find cheaper rates, it's a good idea to get quotes from multiple independent agents to have the most options to choose from. They also have the ability to place coverage with different regional companies that many times have cheaper rates.
Below are independent agents in Columbia that are able to give price quotes.
- Butler's Insurance Agency
1617 Broad River Rd - Columbia, SC 29210 - (803) 772-6688 - View Map
- Nationwide Insurance: Pitts Insurance Team LLC
2640 Gervais St d - Columbia, SC 29204 - (803) 779-3501 - View Map
- Driver's Choice Insurance
607 Meeting St - West Columbia, SC 29169 - (803) 387-0712 - View Map
Misconceptions in car insurance advertisements
Consumers in South Carolina can't avoid all the ads for cheaper car insurance from companies such as Progressive, Allstate and GEICO. They all seem to convey the message about savings just by moving to them.
That's great but how can every company make the same claim? It's all in the numbers.
Insurance companies have a preferred profile for the type of driver that earns them the highest profit. One example of a desirable insured should be over age 30, has other policies, and has great credit. A customer that fits those parameters receive the lowest rate quotes in Columbia and have a good chance to save a lot on Columbia Toyota Tacoma insurance if they switch.
Consumers who are not a match for the requirements will be quoted a higher premium and ends up with the customer buying from a different company. The ads state "customers who switch" not "all people who quote" save that much. That's why companies can truthfully advertise the savings. This emphasizes why you need to do a rate comparison at every renewal. It's impossible to know which company will give you lower prices than your current company.
Auto insurance 101
Understanding the coverages of auto insurance can help you determine the right coverages and proper limits and deductibles. Policy terminology can be ambiguous and reading a policy is terribly boring. Listed below are the usual coverages offered by auto insurance companies.
Auto liability - This coverage provides protection from damages or injuries you inflict on other's property or people by causing an accident. Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. You might see limits of 25/50/25 that translate to a limit of $25,000 per injured person, a total of $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and a limit of $25,000 paid for damaged property.
Liability coverage pays for claims such as medical services, pain and suffering, attorney fees and funeral expenses. How much coverage you buy is a decision to put some thought into, but you should buy higher limits if possible. South Carolina state minimum liability requirements are 25/50/25 but you should think about purchasing more liability than the minimum.
Collision - Collision coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage caused by collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You first must pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision insurance covers claims such as hitting a mailbox, colliding with a tree, driving through your garage door, sideswiping another vehicle and damaging your car on a curb. This coverage can be expensive, so consider removing coverage from older vehicles. You can also raise the deductible on your Tacoma to get cheaper collision coverage.
Medical payments and PIP coverage - Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance pay for expenses such as rehabilitation expenses, EMT expenses and ambulance fees. The coverages can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. Medical payments and PIP cover both the driver and occupants in addition to getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP is only offered in select states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
UM/UIM (Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist) coverage - Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle's occupants when other motorists do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered claims include injuries sustained by your vehicle's occupants and also any damage incurred to your Toyota Tacoma.
Due to the fact that many South Carolina drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (which is 25/50/25), it doesn't take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is very important.
Comprehensive auto coverage - This coverage covers damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You first have to pay a deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive coverage pays for claims such as vandalism, hail damage, hitting a deer, falling objects and theft. The most you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so if it's not worth much more than your deductible it's not worth carrying full coverage.
Don't give up on cheaper rates
Lower-priced Toyota Tacoma insurance in Columbia can be sourced online in addition to many Columbia insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best chance of lowering rates. A few companies don't offer the ability to get quotes online and these smaller companies prefer to sell through independent agencies.
We covered many tips how you can save on Toyota Tacoma insurance in Columbia. The most important thing to understand is the more quotes you get, the better likelihood of getting low cost Columbia auto insurance quotes. Drivers may even discover the lowest rates are with an unexpected company. Some small companies may often insure only within specific states and give getter rates compared to the large companies like GEICO and State Farm.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, make sure you don't buy less coverage just to save a little money. There are many occasions where an insured dropped liability limits or collision coverage and learned later that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your aim should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best price, but don't skip important coverages to save money.
Additional auto insurance information is located on the following sites:
- What are my Rights when Filing a Claim? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for a Learners Permit in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for a Jeep Grand Cherokee in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Highlander in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Cellphones, Texting and Driving (iihs.org)
- Coverage Information (Progressive Insurance)
- Distracted Driving Extends Beyond Texting (State Farm)
- What does Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Cover? (Allstate)