Want to learn how to save money and find more competitive Kia Sorento insurance in Columbia? Are you burned out from scraping nickels together to make your car insurance payment? You are no different than many other South Carolina consumers.
Unbelievably, most drivers have stayed with the same insurance company for four years or more, and just short of a majority have never quoted rates to find cheap coverage. South Carolina insurance shoppers can cut their rates by almost 55% a year by just comparing quotes, but they won't spend time to compare rates and save money. Big-name insurance companies like State Farm, GEICO and Farmers Insurance all claim big savings, bombarding you with fancy advertisements and it is challenging if not impossible to ignore the flying pigs and cute green geckos and find the best price available.
Most companies make it easy to get price estimates direct online. The process is possible for anyone as you just enter your personal and coverage information into a form. Upon sending the form, the company's rating system automatically retrieves your driving record and credit report and generates pricing information based on these and other factors. This makes it a lot easier to compare rates and it's necessary to compare as many rates as possible in order to get lower-cost car insurance pricing.
To fill out one form to compare multiple rates now, consider comparing rates from the companies shown below. To compare your current rates, we recommend you input deductibles and limits exactly as they are listed on your policy. This helps ensure you are getting a fair comparison for exact coverage.
The following companies can provide free rate quotes in South Carolina. If the list has multiple companies, we suggest you compare several of them in order to find the lowest rates.
Car insurance policy discounts you can't miss
Some insurers do not advertise all possible discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we break down a few of the more well known and also the lesser-known credits available to bring down your rates.
- Theft Prevention Discount - Cars equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems are stolen with less frequency and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Discount for Life Insurance - Car insurance companies who offer life insurance give a break if you buy some life insurance in addition to your auto policy.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles - Having primary and secondary vehicles with one company can get a discount for every vehicle.
- Policy Bundle Discount - If you have multiple policies with one company you will save nearly 15% which can help you find affordable Kia Sorento insurance rates in Columbia.
- Accident Free - Columbia drivers who stay claim-free have much lower rates when compared to drivers who are more careless.
You should keep in mind that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the overall cost of the policy. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. Despite the fact that it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, it just doesn't work that way. But all discounts will help lower the cost of coverage.
A few of the larger companies and some of their more popular discounts can be found below.
- State Farm may have discounts that include safe vehicle, good student, driver's education, good driver, Steer Clear safe driver discount, and defensive driving training.
- Progressive has discounts for multi-vehicle, continuous coverage, online signing, online quote discount, multi-policy, good student, and homeowner.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including continuous coverage, multi-policy, good student, multi-vehicle, homeowner, online signing, and online quote discount.
- MetLife may offer discounts for multi-policy, claim-free, accident-free, defensive driver, and good student.
- Farm Bureau includes discounts for youthful driver, good student, renewal discount, multi-vehicle, and multi-policy.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for defensive driver, federal employee, daytime running lights, multi-vehicle, military active duty, anti-lock brakes, and driver training.
- SAFECO offers discounts for drive less, bundle discounts, homeowner, anti-theft, and multi-car.
When comparing rates, check with each company which discounts you may be entitled to. Depending on the company, some discounts may not be available in your state. If you would like to see a list of insurers that have a full spectrum of discounts in Columbia, click here.
It may be expensive, but it's not optional
Even though it can be expensive, paying for car insurance is not optional due to several reasons.
- Most states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability insurance in order to be legal. In South Carolina these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Kia Sorento, most banks will stipulate that you buy insurance to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totalled. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the bank will be required to insure your Kia at a much higher rate and require you to fork over a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects not only your Kia but also your financial assets. It will also pay for most medical and hospital costs for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability coverage will also pay for a defense attorney if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If you have damage to your Kia as the result of the weather or an accident, your policy will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of insuring your car are definitely more than the cost, especially with large liability claims. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver is overpaying over $850 per year so you should quote your policy with other companies each time the policy renews to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Do I need an insurance agent?
A small number of people just prefer to sit down and talk to an agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases Experienced insurance agents can help determine the best coverages and help in the event of a claim. One of the benefits of getting online price quotes is you may find cheap car insurance rates but also keep your business local.
After filling out this quick form, the quote information is submitted to agents in your area that can provide free Columbia car insurance quotes for your car insurance coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to visit any agencies since price quotes are sent immediately to you. In the event you want to compare prices for a specific company, you can always find their quoting web page and fill out their quote form.
Picking the best company shouldn't rely on just a low price. Any agent in Columbia should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Is the agent properly licensed in South Carolina?
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
- If independent agents, which companies do they recommend?
- If you have an accident, will your rates go up?
- What is the financial rating for the quoted company?
- How are claims handled?
- Does the company have a local claim office in Columbia?
Is an exclusive or independent auto insurance agent right for you?
If you are wanting to find a local insurance agency, there are two types of agencies and how they can service your needs differently. Car insurance agents may be either exclusive or independent. Both types can provide car insurance policies, but it's good to learn how they differ because it can impact the selection process.
These type of agents are contracted to one company and examples are Allstate, Farmers Insurance, State Farm, and AAA. These agents are not able to give you multiple price quotes so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive insurance agents receive extensive training in insurance sales which aids in selling service over price.
Below are exclusive insurance agencies in Columbia that can give you price quotes.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents that choose to be independent can quote rates with many companies and that allows them to write policies with lots of companies depending on which coverage is best. To transfer your coverage to a different company, they simply move the coverage in-house which makes it simple for you.
When comparison shopping, we recommend you get quotes from at a minimum one independent agency for the best price selection.
The following are Columbia independent insurance agencies willing to provide rate quotes.
If you feel you receive reasonable responses for all questions you ask and locked in a price quote, it's possible that you found an insurance agency that meets the criteria to adequately provide car insurance. Just remember it's your policy and you can cancel coverage any time you want so don't assume you are locked into a specific agent for the entire policy term.