Are you burned out from being strong-armed to pay insurance each month? You are in the same boat as many other South Carolina drivers.
Unfortunately, a large majority of drivers have been with the same company for at least the last four years, and nearly half have never compared quotes from other companies. American drivers can save almost $859 each year by just shopping around, but they mistakenly think it's difficult to go online and compare rates. Big-name insurance companies like GEICO and Progressive all claim big savings with catchy ads and consumers find it hard to ignore the flying pigs and cute green geckos and find the best price available.
You should take the time to get comparison quotes yearly because insurance rates go up and down regularly. Just because you had the best deal on Nissan Leaf insurance in Columbia a few years ago a different company probably has better prices today. There are a lot of ways to save on Leaf insurance online but we're going to give you some good information on how to lower your insurance rates in Columbia.
If you're already insured or want to find a cheaper company, use these money-saving tips to lower your rates while maximizing coverage. Buying the cheapest insurance in Columbia is quite easy if you know the best way to do it. Smart shoppers only need an understanding of the proper way to shop their coverage around over the internet.
Best Nissan Leaf insurance rate quotes in South Carolina
The providers in the list below are ready to provide quotes in Columbia, SC. If multiple providers are shown, it's highly recommended you visit two to three different companies to get a more complete price comparison.
These discounts can lower your car insurance rates
Some insurers don't always publicize their entire list of discounts very clearly, so the following list contains a few of the more well known and the more hidden discounts that you can inquire about if you buy Columbia auto insurance online.
- Buy New and Save - Buying coverage on a new vehicle is cheaper since newer models have better safety ratings.
- Defensive Driver - Passing a course in defensive driving could possibly earn you a 5% discount and make you a better driver.
- Active Service Discounts - Being on active duty in the military could be rewarded with lower car insurance rates.
- Include Life Insurance and Save - Select companies reward you with a discount if you purchase some life insurance too.
- Professional Organizations - Being in specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations could qualify you for a break on your policy.
- Driving Data Discount - Insureds that choose to allow their insurance company to spy on driving habits by using a telematics device like Drivewise from Allstate or In-Drive from State Farm could possibly reduce rates as long as they are good drivers.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage - Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to buckle up before driving can save 10% or more off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- College Student - Any of your kids living away from Columbia attending college and do not have access to a covered vehicle can receive lower rates.
- Paperless Signup - Some of the larger companies will give a small break for buying your policy on your computer.
As a sidenote, many deductions do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. If you do the math and it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, that's just not realistic.
Larger car insurance companies and some of the discounts can be read below.
- State Farm offers discounts for good student, Steer Clear safe driver discount, Drive Safe & Save, driver's education, student away at school, multiple policy, and anti-theft.
- Progressive may have discounts that include continuous coverage, online signing, online quote discount, good student, multi-vehicle, and multi-policy.
- Travelers has discounts for payment discounts, save driver, good student, continuous insurance, and new car.
- American Family discounts include early bird, accident-free, mySafetyValet, multi-vehicle, good student, TimeAway discount, and bundled insurance.
- Liberty Mutual policyholders can earn discounts including hybrid vehicle, teen driver discount, preferred payment discount, new move discount, good student, newly retired, and new vehicle discount.
Before buying, ask every prospective company how you can save money. All car insurance discounts may not apply in Columbia. If you would like to choose from a list of providers that provide some of the discounts listed above in Columbia, click here.
Insurance agents can help
Always keep in mind that when comparing the right insurance coverage, there is no one size fits all plan. Every situation is different and your car insurance should be unique as well. For instance, these questions can help discover whether you might need an agent's assistance.
- Do I have any recourse if my insurance company denies a claim?
- Does my policy cover my teen driver if they drive my company car?
- Are my friends covered when driving my Nissan Leaf?
- How much will a speeding ticket raise my rates?
- Are combined or split liability limits better?
- Does liability extend to a camper or trailer?
- Does insurance cover damages from a DUI accident?
- How long can I keep a teen driver on my policy?
If you don't know the answers to these questions then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. If you don't have a local agent, simply complete this short form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier It's fast, doesn't cost anything and can provide invaluable advice.
Local Columbia insurance agencies
Many people still like to have an agent's advice and that is OK! Professional insurance agents can make sure you are properly covered and will help you if you have claims. A nice benefit of comparing insurance online is that drivers can save money and get better rates and still have a local agent.
By using this short form, the quote information is emailed to participating agents in Columbia who will return price quotes for your business. You won't even need to leave your house since rate quotes are delivered instantly to you. If you have a need to quote rates from a specific insurance provider, you can always find their quoting web page to submit a rate quote request.
Finding a good insurer is decision based upon more than just a low price. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- Do they get extra compensation for selling add-on coverages?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in South Carolina?
- Is the agent CPCU or CIC certified?
- Do you need full coverage on every vehicle?
- Which insurance companies are they affiliated with?
- How often do they review coverages?
- What company holds the largest book of business for them?
- Is insurance their full-time profession?
When searching for a good insurance agency, it can be helpful to understand the different agency structures and how they are slightly different. Insurance policy providers can be classified as either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive). Either one can insure your vehicles properly, but we need to point out how they are different because it can factor into buying decisions.
These agents have only one company to place business with and some examples include Allstate, State Farm and Farmers Insurance. Exclusive agencies are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so you might not find the best rates. They are well schooled on what they offer which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Below is a short list of exclusive insurance agents in Columbia that are able to give price quote information.
Allstate Insurance - Steven Price Agency
2759 Rosewood Dr - Columbia, SC 29205 - (803) 779-4060 - View Map
Independent Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be independent are not restricted to one company so they can write business with many different companies and potentially find a lower price. To move your coverage to a new company, the business is moved internally and that require little work on your part.
When comparing rate quotes, we highly recommend that you get rate quotes from a couple of independent agencies to get the most accurate price comparison.
Shown below is a short list of independent insurance agents in Columbia willing to provide price quotes.
Smoak Insurance Agency, Inc.
1534 Leesburg Rd - Columbia, SC 29209 - (803) 254-4323 - View Map
Beware of misleading auto insurance ads
Consumers in South Carolina constantly see and hear ads for cheaper auto insurance by companies like State Farm, GEICO and Progressive. All the companies state the claim that people will save just by switching your auto insurance policy to them.
It sounds good, but how can they all claim to save you money? This is how they do it.
All the different companies offer their best rates for the type of customer that makes them money. An example of a profitable insured may need to be over age 30, has other policies, and has excellent credit. Someone who matches that profile may get the lowest car insurance rates in Columbia and most likely will save if they switch.
Insureds who cannot meet those standards may receive more expensive rates with the end result being the customer buying from a different company. The wording the ads use say "customers who switch" not "everyone that quotes" save that much. That's why companies can make it sound like they have such great car insurance rates. Because of the profiling, you really need to do a rate comparison at every renewal. It's just not possible to know which insurance companies will have the best Nissan Leaf insurance in Columbia.
Keep this in mind when shopping around
Lower-priced Nissan Leaf insurance in Columbia can be found online and from local agencies, and you should be comparing both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance providers may not provide rate quotes online and many times these small, regional companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.
When trying to cut insurance costs, it's very important that you do not reduce coverage to reduce premium. There have been many cases where drivers have reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to discover later that it was a big mistake. Your focus should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at a price you can afford, but do not skimp to save money.
You just read a lot of techniques to reduce Nissan Leaf insurance prices online in Columbia. It's most important to understand that the more quotes you get, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even find the best price on auto insurance is with the smaller companies. Smaller companies may cover specific market segments cheaper than their larger competitors like State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
More detailed auto insurance information is located in the articles below:
- Should I Purchase an Umbrella Liability Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are South Carolina Auto Insurance Quotes for a Subaru Outback? (FAQ)
- How Much is South Carolina Auto Insurance for a Nissan Rogue? (FAQ)
- What is the Best Car Insurance in Simpsonville, SC? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Active Military in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Uber Drivers in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Understanding Limits and Deductibles (Allstate)
- All About Airbag Safety (State Farm)
- What is Gap Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Vehicle Safety Ratings (iihs.org)