Want to save money and find low-cost Chevy Equinox insurance in Charleston? Frustrated by the number of insurance choices available to you? Many other drivers are as well. South Carolina consumers have so many choices available that it can easily turn into a real hassle to find lower prices on Chevy Equinox insurance. Lots of people think Charleston is a wonderful place to live, but having to pay for pricey insurance can make it impossible to buy proper levels of coverage.
Amazingly, the vast majority of South Carolina insurance customers kept buying from the same company for over three years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never compared quotes from other companies. The average driver in the United States could save themselves as much as 46.5% a year just by getting comparison quotes, but most tend to underestimate the benefits if they changed companies.
Consumers need to do price comparisons every six months because insurance rates trend upward over time. Just because you found the best rate on Chevy Equinox insurance in Charleston a few years ago there is a good chance you can find better prices now. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about insurance because you're going to learn the best way to remove unneeded coverages and save money.
Buying the cheapest insurance in Charleston is actually not that difficult if you follow our advice. In a nutshell, each driver who shops for insurance should be able to reduce their rates. Nevertheless, South Carolina vehicle owners do need to learn the methods companies use to price insurance differently and use it to find better rates.
Most larger insurance companies allow consumers to get prices for coverage from their websites. Comparing prices online for Chevy Equinox insurance in Charleston doesn't take much effort as you simply enter your coverage preferences into the form. After you submit the form the quote system requests your driving and credit reports and gives you a price quote based on these factors.
Getting online rates for Chevy Equinox insurance in Charleston makes comparing rates easy, and it's necessary to perform this step in order to find the most affordable insurance rates.
To quickly find out how much you're overpaying now, compare quotes from the companies shown below. If you have your current policy handy, we recommend you copy the limits and deductibles as shown on your current policy. Doing this guarantees you will be getting a rate comparison using the same coverage and limits.
The companies shown below offer quotes in Charleston, SC. If more than one company is shown, we recommend you click on several of them to get the best price comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Equinox LS 2WD||$288||$610||$412||$24||$124||$1,458||$122|
|Equinox LT 2WD||$258||$512||$412||$24||$124||$1,330||$111|
|Equinox LS AWD||$204||$368||$320||$18||$96||$1,006||$84|
|Equinox LT AWD||$214||$358||$342||$20||$102||$1,036||$86|
|Equinox LTZ 2WD||$208||$434||$386||$22||$116||$1,166||$97|
|Equinox LTZ AWD||$286||$612||$358||$22||$108||$1,386||$116|
|Equinox LTZ AWD||$158||$340||$386||$22||$116||$1,022||$85|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data assumes single male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, and South Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, multi-policy, homeowner, safe-driver, and claim-free. Rate quotes do not factor in specific zip code location which can affect insurance rates greatly.
How accidents and violations affect rates
The information below highlights how speeding tickets and at-fault fender-benders can drive up Chevrolet Equinox insurance rates for different age groups. The data is based on a married male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $250 deductibles, and no policy discounts are applied.
Physical damage deductibles
The information below demonstrates how choosing different deductibles and can raise or lower Chevrolet Equinox insurance costs for each different age category. The data assumes a single male driver, full physical damage coverage, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Affordable rates by taking advantage of these ten discounts
The price of auto insurance can be rather high, but there are discounts available to reduce the price significantly. Many of these discounts will be applied automatically when you purchase, but once in a while a discount must be specially asked for before you get the savings. If you aren't receiving every discount available, it's possible you qualify for a lower rate.
- Defensive Driver - Participating in a driver safety class is a good idea and can lower rates and also improve your driving technique.
- Accident Forgiveness Coverage - This one isn't a discount, but companies like Progressive, State Farm and GEICO will forgive one accident before your rates go up if you have no claims for a set time period.
- Active Service Discounts - Being deployed in the military could qualify you for better insurance rates.
- Renewal Discounts - A few larger companies allow discounts for switching companies prior to the expiration date on your current Equinox insurance policy. It's a savings of about 10%.
- Distant Student - College-age children living away from Charleston attending college and do not take a car to college could get you a discount.
- New Vehicle Savings - Buying coverage on a new vehicle can cost up to 25% less because newer models are generally safer.
- No Claim Discounts - Insureds who avoid accidents and claims have much lower rates in comparison with frequent claim filers.
- ABS Braking Discount - Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes have fewer accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Student Discounts - This discount may save you up to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you up to age 25.
- Discount for Multiple Policies - When you have multiple policies and insure them with the same company you will save up to 20% off your total Equinox insurance premium.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most of the big mark downs will not be given to all coverage premiums. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. Despite the appearance that having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, companies don't profit that way.
Auto insurance companies that may have many of the previously listed discounts include:
If you need lower rates, check with each company or agent which discounts you qualify for. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not be available in your area.
Here's why insurance is not optional
Despite the fact that insurance is not cheap in Charleston, maintaining insurance serves an important purpose.
- Most states have minimum liability requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific minimum amounts of liability insurance coverage if you want to drive legally. In South Carolina these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Equinox has a lienholder, almost every bank will force you to have physical damage coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you default on your policy, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Chevy at an extremely high rate and force you to pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance safeguards both your Chevy and your personal assets. It also can pay for many types of medical costs for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit in the event you are sued. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of having insurance definitely exceed the price paid, especially with large liability claims. According to a 2015 survey, the average American driver is currently overpaying as much as $865 each year so you should quote rates at every renewal to make sure the price is not too high.
You may require the services of a local insurance agent
Many people just want to sit down with an agent and we recommend doing that The best thing about comparing rates online is that drivers can save money and get cheap auto insurance quotes and still buy from a local agent.
After completing this simple form, the coverage information is immediately sent to insurance agents in Charleston who will gladly provide quotes to get your business. It's much easier because you don't need to visit any agencies since rate quotes are delivered directly to your email. You'll get the best rates and a licensed agent to work with. If for some reason you want to quote rates from a specific insurance company, feel free to find their quoting web page and complete a quote there.
Selecting an insurance company requires you to look at more than just a cheap quote. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- If you have an accident, will your rates go up?
- Does their agency support local causes in Charleston?
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- Does the company allow you to choose your own collision repair facility?
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- Are there any extra charges for paying monthly?
Best car insurance agent in Charleston
If you need to find a reliable agent, there are two different agency structures from which to choose. Insurance agencies in Charleston are classified as either independent or exclusive.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents in the exclusive channel can usually just insure with one company like American Family, State Farm, and AAA. They are unable to compare rates from other companies so always compare other rates. Exclusive insurance agents are highly trained on their company's products which helps offset the inability to provide other markets. Some people will only purchase coverage from exclusives primarily because of the prominent brand name rather than low rates.
The following is a short list of exclusive agents in Charleston who may provide you with rate quotes.
- Nick Wagner - State Farm Insurance Agent
2408 Ashley River Rd Suite E - Charleston, SC 29414 - (843) 974-4060 - View Map
- State Farm: Charlie McQueeney
5150 Ashley Phosphate Rd - North Charleston, SC 29418 - (800) 701-5909 - View Map
- Gail Williamson - State Farm Insurance Agent
1715 Sam Rittenberg Blvd - Charleston, SC 29407 - (843) 769-5000 - View Map
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents in the independent channel do not work for one specific company and that allows them to write policies with an assortment of companies and find you cheaper rates. If they quote lower rates, your policy is moved internally and that require little work on your part.
If you need lower rates, you absolutely need to compare prices from independent agents in order to have the best price comparison. Most also write with companies you've never heard of which could offer lower prices.
Shown below are Charleston independent insurance agents that are able to give comparison quotes.
- The Steadman Agency
8 Vanderhorst St - Charleston, SC 29403 - (843) 723-4001 - View Map
- Driver's Choice Insurance
3353 Rivers Ave - Charleston, SC 29405 - (843) 325-2326 - View Map
- Anderson Insurance Associates
3491 Shelby Ray Ct - Charleston, SC 29414 - (843) 763-7525 - View Map
Auto insurance policy specifics
Knowing the specifics of auto insurance aids in choosing the right coverages for your vehicles. Policy terminology can be confusing and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording.
This will pay to fix damage to your Equinox from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. A deductible applies then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision can pay for claims such as scraping a guard rail, colliding with another moving vehicle and hitting a parking meter. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so you might think about dropping it from lower value vehicles. It's also possible to raise the deductible on your Equinox to bring the cost down.
This coverage will cover damage or injury you incur to people or other property in an accident. Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. As an example, you may have values of 25/50/25 that translate to $25,000 in coverage for each person's injuries, $50,000 for the entire accident, and a total limit of $25,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability coverage pays for claims like funeral expenses, repair bills for other people's vehicles, legal defense fees, medical expenses and bail bonds. How much coverage you buy is a personal decision, but consider buying higher limits if possible. South Carolina state minimum liability requirements are 25/50/25 but it's recommended drivers buy more coverage.
Insurance for medical payments
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP reimburse you for bills for things like doctor visits, hospital visits, EMT expenses and dental work. They are used to fill the gap from your health insurance plan or if you lack health insurance entirely. Coverage applies to not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants in addition to any family member struck as a pedestrian. Personal Injury Protection is not an option in every state but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Comprehensive coverage (or Other than Collision)
Comprehensive insurance coverage will pay to fix damage from a wide range of events other than collision. A deductible will apply and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against claims such as hail damage, a tree branch falling on your vehicle and a broken windshield. The highest amount your auto insurance company will pay is the actual cash value, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle's value consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Uninsured Motorist or Underinsured Motorist insurance
Your UM/UIM coverage provides protection when the "other guys" either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. It can pay for medical payments for you and your occupants and also any damage incurred to your Chevy Equinox.
Since many South Carolina drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (South Carolina limits are 25/50/25), it doesn't take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages should not be overlooked.