When shopping for more affordable insurance, are you intimidated by the number of auto insurance providers in your area? You have so many options that it can quickly become a real difficult job to compare rates on Honda Pilot insurance. Everyone knows that Columbia is a wonderful place to live, but high auto insurance prices can make it nearly impossible to afford good insurance coverage.
A recent study showed that nearly 70% of consumers kept their policy with the same company for four years or more, and nearly half have never even compared quotes to find cheaper rates. American insurance shoppers can save $850 each year by just comparing quotes, but they don't know the big savings they would realize if they moved their coverage to a different company.
Smart consumers take time to shop coverage around yearly since insurance prices are constantly changing. Just because you had the best deal on Honda Pilot insurance in Columbia on your last policy other companies may now be cheaper. There is a lot of wrong information about Pilot insurance online, but we're going to give you some of the best techniques to quit paying high auto insurance rates in Columbia.
Locating the best rates in Columbia is not rocket science. Basically, anyone who is overpaying for car insurance will probably find a better price. Although South Carolina car owners must learn how companies calculate your policy premium and apply this information to your search.
The quickest method we recommend to compare rates for Honda Pilot insurance in Columbia is to take advantage of the fact auto insurance companies participate in online systems to provide you with free rate quotes. All you need to do is provide a small amount of information such as any included safety features, if the car is leased, how much education you have, and if you require a SR-22. That rating data is sent automatically to many highly-rated insurers and you will get price comparisons very quickly.
To compare multiple company cheap Honda Pilot insurance rates now, click here and enter the information requested.
The companies shown below have been selected to offer comparison quotes in South Carolina. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you get prices from several of them to get the lowest price.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Pilot LX 2WD||$206||$332||$444||$26||$132||$1,140||$95|
|Pilot EX 2WD||$286||$428||$386||$22||$116||$1,238||$103|
|Pilot EX 4WD||$256||$362||$320||$18||$96||$1,052||$88|
|Pilot EX-L 2WD||$332||$530||$342||$20||$102||$1,326||$111|
|Pilot EX-L 4WD||$286||$502||$444||$26||$132||$1,390||$116|
|Pilot Touring 2WD||$276||$358||$448||$26||$134||$1,242||$104|
|Pilot Touring 4WD||$322||$520||$348||$20||$104||$1,314||$110|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data rating is based on married female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and South Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, homeowner, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, and claim-free. Premium costs do not factor in your specific Columbia location which can impact coverage rates considerably.
Impact of violations and accidents on rates in Columbia
The chart below illustrates how traffic citations and at-fault claims can raise Honda Pilot insurance costs for different categories of driver ages. Data assumes a single male driver, full physical damage coverage, $250 deductibles, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Lower-cost Honda Pilot insurance in Columbia
Auto insurance is not inexpensive, but discounts can save money and there are some available that could help you make your next renewal payment. Some discounts apply automatically when you get a quote, but some discounts are required to be asked about prior to receiving the credit.
- Low Mileage Discounts - Driving less could qualify for lower premium rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Driver's Education for Students - Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to complete a driver education course in school or through a local driver safety program.
- Smart Student Discounts - Being a good student could provide a savings of up to 20% or more. You can use this discount normally well after school through age 25.
- Renewal Discounts - Some auto insurance companies provide a discount for renewing your policy before your current expiration date. The savings is around 10%.
- Military Discounts - Being deployed in the military may lower your auto insurance rates slightly.
- Membership in Organizations - Being in specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations is a good way to get lower rates when shopping for auto insurance.
- Resident Student - Youth drivers who live away from home at college and do not have a car may be able to be covered for less.
Discounts reduce rates, but you should keep in mind that some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only reduce individual premiums such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. If you do the math and it seems like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you're out of luck.
Companies who might offer many of the previously listed discounts are:
Check with each insurance company what discounts are available to you. Some of the discounts discussed earlier might not be offered on policies in your state.
Buying from insurance agents
Some people still prefer to sit down with an agent and that can be a smart move An additional benefit of getting online price quotes is you can get cheap car insurance rates and still choose a local agent.
To find an agent, once you fill out this form (opens in new window), your information is transmitted to participating agents in Columbia that give free quotes for your coverage. It's much easier because you don't need to even leave your home since rate quotes are delivered to you instantly. You can get cheaper car insurance rates without requiring a lot of work. In the event you want to get a comparison quote from a specific car insurance provider, you just need to navigate to their website and give them your coverage information.
Selecting an insurance company shouldn't rely on just a cheap price. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- Has the agent ever had any license suspensions?
- Do they have any clout with companies to ensure a fair claim settlement?
- By raising physical damage deductibles, how much would you save?
- Which insurance companies are they affiliated with?
- Will your rates increase after a single accident?
- Does the agent recommend any additional coverage?
How to choose the best auto insurance agent in Columbia
If you prefer to buy car insurance from a reputable insurance agent or broker, it can be helpful to understand the types of insurance agents from which to choose. Agencies in Columbia are considered either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agents
These type of agents have only one company to place business with and examples are AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance, and Allstate. They usually cannot compare rates from other companies so you might not find the best rates. Exclusive agents receive a lot of sales training on their company's products which aids in selling service over price. Consumers sometimes buy insurance from these agents mostly because of the brand name rather than having low rates.
Shown below is a list of exclusive agencies in Columbia who can help you get comparison quotes.
- Allstate Insurance: The Owens Agency, LLC
6316 St Andrews Rd b - Columbia, SC 29212 - (803) 798-0404 - View Map
- John Coleman - State Farm Insurance Agent
7360 Garners Ferry Rd - Columbia, SC 29209 - (803) 783-2100 - View Map
- Megan OConnell - State Farm Insurance Agent
2321 Main St - Columbia, SC 29201 - (803) 254-7322 - View Map
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agencies can quote rates with many companies so they can quote policies through many different car insurance companies and find the cheapest car insurance rates. If premiums increase, your policy is moved internally and you can keep the same agent. If you need cheaper car insurance rates, it's recommended you compare quotes from several independent agencies to get the best comparison. They often place coverage with less well-known companies that may have much lower rates than larger companies.
Listed below are independent insurance agents in Columbia that are able to give price quote information.
- Insurit Insurance Agency
4001 Edmund Hwy - West Columbia, SC 29170 - (803) 755-0543 - View Map
- Butler's Insurance Agency
1617 Broad River Rd - Columbia, SC 29210 - (803) 772-6688 - View Map
- Irmo Insurance Agency, Inc.
1345 Lake Murray Blvd - Irmo, SC 29063 - (803) 781-4700 - View Map
How to Lower Your Insurance Costs
Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the things that help calculate insurance rates. If you have some idea of what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this allows you to make good choices that can help you get better insurance rates.
Youthful drivers pay high costs - Older, more experienced drivers are more cautious drivers, tend to cause fewer accidents, and are generally more financially stable.Beginning drivers have been known to be easily distracted when behind the wheel so they pay higher insurance rates.
An insurance policy lapse is a bad thing - Driving without insurance coverage in place can get you a ticket and companies may charge more for letting your insurance expire. Not only will you pay more, not being able to provide proof of insurance could earn you fines and jail time.
Your job is a factor - Occupational choices like judges, business owners and dentists generally pay higher rates than average attributed to intense work requirements and extremely grueling work hours. On the flip side, occupations such as actors, students and the unemployed have the lowest average rates.
Only buy coverage you need - There are a lot of optional add-on coverages that may not really be needed on your Pilot policy. Insurance for things like replacement cost coverage, death and dismemberment, and extra equipment coverage may not be needed and are just wasting money. They may sound like good ideas initially, but if you have no use for them eliminate them to save money.
Too many insurance claims and you'll pay more - If you're an insured who likes to file claims you shouldn't be surprised to get either higher rates or even cancellation. Auto insurance companies in South Carolina provide better rates to people that do not abuse their auto insurance. Your insurance policy is meant to be used in the event of the large, substantial claims.
Liability insurance limits should be high - The liability coverage on your policy is the protection in the event that you are determined to be liable for damages caused by your negligence. Your liability coverage provides you with a defense in court which can be incredibly expensive. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to comp and collision, so do not skimp.
Honda Pilot claim data - Insurers factor in historical loss data to calculate a price that will offset losses. Models that the data determines to have high amounts or severity of claims will have increased rates. The table below illustrates the loss history for Honda Pilot vehicles.
For each coverage category, the claim amount for all vehicles combined as an average is a value of 100. Numbers under 100 represent a good loss history, while numbers above 100 indicate more frequent losses or larger claims.
Honda Pilot Insurance Claim Statistics
|Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Honda Pilot 4dr 2WD||70||96||69||82||82||86|
|Honda Pilot 4dr 4WD||79||105||81||88||74||82|
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Why do I need car insurance?
Despite the potentially high cost of Honda Pilot insurance, paying for auto insurance is required in South Carolina but also provides important benefits.
- Just about all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a minimum amount of liability insurance coverage if you drive a vehicle. In South Carolina these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Honda Pilot with a loan, almost all lenders will stipulate that you have physical damage coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank may buy a policy for your Honda at a much higher rate and require you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance safeguards not only your Honda but also your financial assets. It will also pay for medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, will also pay attorney fees if you are sued as the result of your driving. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, your policy will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance are definitely more than the cost, especially when you need to use it. But the average American driver is overpaying more than $820 a year so it's very important to do a rate comparison each time the policy renews to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Cheap rates are available
Insureds switch companies for many reasons like delays in paying claims, denial of a claim, policy non-renewal or even delays in responding to claim requests. Regardless of your reason, finding the right insurance provider is actually quite simple.
Budget-conscious Honda Pilot insurance can be purchased both online and from local agencies, so get free Columbia auto insurance quotes from both of them in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some companies do not provide online price quotes and most of the time these smaller companies only sell through independent insurance agencies.
As you prepare to switch companies, it's very important that you do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. In too many instances, an accident victim reduced collision coverage only to discover later that it was a big mistake. The proper strategy is to get the best coverage possible for the lowest cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
To read more, link through to the following helpful articles:
- Insuring a Leased Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for Uninsured Drivers in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for a Ford Focus in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Immigrants in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Retired Military in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Vehicle Size and Weight FAQ (iihs.org)
- Understanding your Policy (NAIC.org)