Paying for overpriced Scion xB insurance in Columbia can diminish your family's budget and force you to make tough financial choices. Shopping your coverage around can save money and help to lower your bills every month.
It's shocking but a large majority of drivers kept their coverage with the same auto insurance company for well over three years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never taken the time to shop around. American drivers could cut their rates by approximately $850 a year by just shopping around, but they underestimate how much money they would save if they switched to a more affordable policy. Due to the abundance of companies and agents to choose from, it can be challenging to find the lowest price insurer.
The auto insurance companies shown below offer quotes in South Carolina. If several companies are displayed, we suggest you click on several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Cost estimates assume married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and South Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-policy, claim-free, homeowner, and multi-vehicle. Rate quotes do not factor in specific garaging location which can raise or lower rates considerably.
Rate difference between full and liability-only coverage
The example below illustrates the difference between Scion xB car insurance rates with full physical damage coverage and with liability coverage only. The information is based on no claims, a clean driving record, $1,000 deductibles, single female driver, and no other discounts are factored in.
When to drop comprehensive and collision
There is no exact formula for excluding physical damage insurance, but there is a general school of thought. If the annual cost of coverage is more than 10% of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
For example, let's assume your Scion xB settlement value is $6,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, you would only receive $5,000 after you pay the deductible. If you are paying over $500 annually to have full coverage, then it might be time to buy liability only.
There are some circumstances where removing full coverage is not advised. If you still owe money on your vehicle, you are required to maintain full coverage to protect the lienholder's interest in the vehicle. Also, if you can't afford to buy a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should keep full coverage in place.
Three reasons auto insurance is important
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Scion xB in Columbia, insuring your vehicle is mandatory in South Carolina but it also protects more than you think.
- Most states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means state laws require specific limits of liability insurance coverage if you drive a vehicle. In South Carolina these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Scion xB has a loan, more than likely the lender will stipulate that you have physical damage coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Scion at a much higher rate and force you to pay for the expensive policy.
- Auto insurance protects not only your Scion but also your assets. Insurance will pay for all forms of medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also pays expenses related to your legal defense if you are sued as the result of an accident. If your Scion gets damaged, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance more than offset the price you pay, especially when you need to use it. Today the average American driver overpays more than $850 per year so compare rate quotes at least once a year to save money.
Columbia insurance discounts for a Scion xB
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but you might already qualify for some discounts that many consumers don't even know exist. Some trigger automatically at the time of purchase, but a few must be specifically requested before being credited. If you do not check that you are getting every discount you deserve, you are not getting the best rate possible.
- Air Bag Discount - Vehicles equipped with air bags or automatic seat belts may earn rate discounts of 20% or more.
- One Accident Forgiven - Not really a discount, but a few companies such as Liberty Mutual, Allstate and State Farm allow you one accident before they charge you more for coverage so long as you haven't had any claims before the accident.
- Good Driver Discounts - Insureds without accidents can pay as much as 50% less than drivers with accidents.
- Defensive Driving Course - Passing a safe driver class may get you a small discount and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Organization Discounts - Joining certain professional organizations can get you a small discount when getting a Columbia auto insurance quote.
- Discounts for Government Workers - Active or former government employment can save as much as 8% with certain companies.
- Accident-Free Discounts - Drivers with accident-free driving histories can earn big discounts compared to drivers with a long claim history.
Consumers should know that most discount credits are not given to your bottom line cost. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. If you do the math and it seems like it's possible to get free car insurance, companies wouldn't make money that way.
Auto insurance companies that may offer quotes with many of the previously listed discounts possibly include:
When quoting, ask all companies you are considering what discounts are available to you. Some credits may not be available in your area. To view insurance companies who offer auto insurance discounts in Columbia, click here.
Compare rate quotes but work with a local neighborhood Columbia car insurance agent
Many people would prefer to visit with an insurance agent and that is not a bad decision Good insurance agents are trained risk managers and help submit paperwork. One of the great benefits of comparing rates online is you may find the best rates and still have an agent to talk to.
To find an agent, once you fill out this short form, the coverage information is sent to local insurance agents that provide free Columbia auto insurance quotes for your car insurance coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to even leave your home because prices are sent immediately to you. If you have a need to get a rate quote from a particular provider, you can always jump over to their website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Choosing the best provider shouldn't rely on just a cheap price quote. Any agent in Columbia should be willing to answer these questions.
- Will high miles depreciate repair valuations?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- How much can you save by raising your physical damage deductibles?
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
- Does the agency provide any after hours assistance?
Multiple types of car insurance agents in Columbia
If you are wanting to find an insurance agent, it helps to know the two different types of agencies and how they are distinctly different. Insurance agencies in Columbia may be either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for. Both can sell affordable car insurance policies, but it's worth mentioning why they differ because it may have an impact on which agent you choose.
These type of agents write business for a single company like AAA, Allstate, State Farm, or Farmers Insurance. Exclusive agents cannot provide other company's prices so you might not find the best rates. Exclusive agencies are very knowledgeable on their company's products which helps them compete with independent agents.
Shown below are exclusive insurance agencies in Columbia who may provide you with rate quotes.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agents can quote rates with many companies so they have the ability to put coverage with multiple insurance companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. To transfer your coverage to a different company, they can switch companies in-house which is easy for the insured.
When comparing rate quotes, we recommend you contact a couple of independent agencies so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare.
Shown below is a list of independent insurance agents in Columbia willing to provide price quote information.
After talking to the agent and getting answers to your satisfaction to these questions in addition to an acceptable price estimate, it's possible that you found an insurance agency that can provide car insurance coverage.
Different people need different insurance coverages
When it comes to choosing proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a best way to insure your cars. Every situation is different.
For example, these questions may help highlight whether or not you might need professional guidance.
- What does PIP insurance cover?
- Can my teen driver be rated on a liability-only vehicle?
- Are combined or split liability limits better?
- Do I have coverage if my license is suspended?
- Do I have newly-acquired coverage?
- Is my nanny covered when driving my vehicle?
- Why am I required to get a high-risk car insurance policy?
- Should I buy only the required South Carolina minimum liability coverage?
- Do I have coverage if I rent a car in Mexico?
If you're not sure about those questions then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form. It's fast, free and may give you better protection.
Auto insurance coverage information
Learning about specific coverages of insurance can help you determine the best coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. Policy terminology can be confusing and reading a policy is terribly boring.
This pays to fix your vehicle from damage resulting from colliding with an object or car. A deductible applies and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision coverage pays for claims like crashing into a building, sideswiping another vehicle and hitting a mailbox. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from vehicles that are 8 years or older. It's also possible to bump up the deductible on your xB to save money on collision insurance.
Medical payments coverage and PIP
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP kick in for short-term medical expenses for things like funeral costs, surgery, pain medications, dental work and hospital visits. They can be used in conjunction with a health insurance plan or if you lack health insurance entirely. It covers all vehicle occupants and will also cover getting struck while a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is only offered in select states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Comprehensive insurance pays to fix your vehicle from damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first must pay your deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things like a broken windshield, a tree branch falling on your vehicle, damage from getting keyed, vandalism and hitting a bird. The maximum payout your insurance company will pay is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much it's not worth carrying full coverage.
Liability auto insurance
This can cover damage that occurs to a person or their property. This coverage protects you from legal claims by others. It does not cover damage to your own property or vehicle.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You commonly see limits of 25/50/25 that means you have a $25,000 limit per person for injuries, a per accident bodily injury limit of $50,000, and $25,000 of coverage for damaged property.
Liability can pay for claims such as emergency aid, attorney fees and medical services. How much liability should you purchase? That is up to you, but you should buy higher limits if possible. South Carolina requires minimum liability limits of 25/50/25 but you should consider buying better liability coverage.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage protects you and your vehicle's occupants from other drivers when they are uninsured or don't have enough coverage. This coverage pays for injuries to you and your family as well as your vehicle's damage.
Because many people have only the minimum liability required by law (25/50/25), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is a good idea.
Don't give up on affordable rates
In this article, we presented quite a bit of information on how to compare Scion xB insurance rates in Columbia. The most important thing to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the better your comparison will be. You may even find the lowest rates come from a company that doesn't do a lot of advertising.
Cheap Scion xB insurance in Columbia can be purchased on the web as well as from insurance agents, so get free Columbia auto insurance quotes from both of them to have the best rate selection. Some insurance providers don't offer online quoting and many times these smaller providers provide coverage only through local independent agencies.
When trying to cut insurance costs, make sure you don't skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. Too many times, drivers have reduced uninsured motorist or liability limits and found out when filing a claim that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The aim is to find the BEST coverage at a price you can afford, but do not skimp to save money.
Even more information can be found in these articles:
- How to Avoid Staged Accidents (State Farm)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest in Florence, South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for College Students in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for Welfare Recipients in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- How Much are South Carolina Auto Insurance Rates for Nurses? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Teenage Females in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for Unemployed Drivers in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Retired Military in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Choosing an Insurance Company (Insurance Information Institute)
- Five Steps to Filing an Auto Insurance Claim (Insurance Information Institute)