I can't think of a single person who enjoys paying for auto insurance, especially when the price is too high.
It's shocking but a large majority of consumers have stayed with the same insurance company for a minimum of four years, and nearly half have never compared quotes from other companies. With the average premium in South Carolina being $1,400, drivers can cut their rates by 55% a year just by comparing rates, but they just assume it takes a lot of time to go online and compare rates. Big companies like GEICO, Farmers Insurance and State Farm continually bombard you with ad campaigns and consumers find it hard to see past the geckos and flying pigs and find the best price available.
It's smart to check auto insurance prices every six months because prices trend upward over time. If you had the lowest rate on Subaru Forester insurance in Columbia at your last renewal you may be paying too much now. Block out anything you think you know about auto insurance because I'm going to let you in on the secrets to one of the easiest ways to find great coverage at a great price.
Low-cost Subaru insurance price quotes in Columbia
The companies shown below have been selected to offer free quotes in South Carolina. If more than one company is shown, we recommend you visit several of them to get the most competitive price.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Forester X AWD||$142||$232||$272||$16||$82||$744||$62|
|Forester X Premium AWD||$144||$238||$278||$16||$84||$760||$63|
|Forester X Premium AWP AWD||$322||$520||$296||$18||$88||$1,244||$104|
|Forester X Limited Edition AWD||$324||$512||$350||$20||$106||$1,312||$109|
|Forester X Limited Edition W/Navigation AWD||$176||$340||$328||$20||$98||$962||$80|
|Forester XT AWD||$262||$414||$296||$18||$88||$1,078||$90|
|Forester XT Limited Edition AWD||$368||$644||$392||$24||$118||$1,546||$129|
|Forester XT Limited Edition W/Navigation AWD||$160||$280||$278||$16||$84||$818||$68|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices above based on married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, and South Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, claim-free, homeowner, multi-vehicle, and multi-policy. Price information does not factor in the specific area where the vehicle is garaged which can revise prices substantially.
Poor driving habits will raise your auto insurance rates
The example below demonstrates how citations and fender-benders can increase Subaru Forester auto insurance rates for each different age category. The data is based on a married female driver, full physical damage coverage, $250 deductibles, and no discounts are applied.
Insurance rates and discounts
Some companies do not list every policy discount very well, so the list below gives a summary of both well-publicized and also the more inconspicuous credits that may apply to you.
- Discount for Home Ownership - Owning your own home or condo may earn you a small savings since home ownership requires personal responsibility.
- Federal Government Employee - Federal government employees could qualify for a slight premium decrease depending on your insurance provider.
- Anti-theft System - Cars, trucks, and SUVs that have factory anti-theft systems help deter theft and can earn a small discount on your policy.
- Organization Discounts - Having an affiliation with specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations is a good way to get lower rates when shopping for insurance.
- Military Deployment Discount - Having an actively deployed family member could qualify you for better rates.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage - Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts may be able to save a few bucks on the premium charged for medical payments and/or PIP.
- Low Mileage Discounts - Keeping the miles down on your Subaru may allow you to get better rates on cars that stay parked.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most discount credits are not given to your bottom line cost. The majority will only reduce specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Just because it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, you aren't that lucky.
Popular insurance companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts are:
- State Farm may offer discounts for safe vehicle, Steer Clear safe driver discount, passive restraint, driver's education, good driver, anti-theft, and defensive driving training.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for five-year accident-free, multi-policy, anti-theft, anti-lock brakes, driver training, and daytime running lights.
- SAFECO discounts include teen safe driver, teen safety rewards, homeowner, anti-lock brakes, safe driver, anti-theft, and bundle discounts.
- Farmers Insurance policyholders can earn discounts including teen driver, early shopping, pay in full, mature driver, and homeowner.
- AAA may include discounts for anti-theft, multi-car, education and occupation, AAA membership discount, multi-policy, pay-in-full, and good student.
- USAA offers discounts including family discount, good student, military installation, vehicle storage, and annual mileage.
Before buying, ask each insurance company what discounts are available to you. Some discounts listed above might not be available to policyholders in every state. If you would like to view insurers that offer the discounts shown above in South Carolina, click here.
Comparing rates from local Columbia auto insurance agents
Some people would rather talk to a local agent and that is not a bad decision Good agents are highly skilled in risk management and help submit paperwork. The best thing about comparing auto insurance online is the fact that drivers can get cheap auto insurance rates but still work with a licensed agent. Supporting local insurance agencies is definitely important in Columbia.
Once you complete this simple form, the coverage information is emailed to local insurance agents in Columbia who want to provide quotes for your insurance coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won't have to do any legwork since price quotes are sent directly to you. If you wish to get a price quote from a particular provider, you can always search and find their rate quote page and submit a quote form there.
Types of auto insurance agents
When looking for a local Columbia insurance agency, you need to know there are two different types of agents that you can choose from. Auto insurance agents in Columbia may be either independent or exclusive. Either can provide auto insurance policies, but it's good to learn the difference between them since it can affect which agent you choose.
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies or Brokers
These agents often have affiliation with several companies so as a result can place your coverage with an assortment of companies and get you the best rates possible. If they find a cheaper price, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you don't have to do anything.
When searching for an agent, it's a good idea to compare quotes from at a minimum one independent agency so that you can do a thorough price comparison.
Shown below is a small list of independent insurance agents in Columbia who may provide free price quotes.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agents
These type of agents generally can only insure with one company such as Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. They generally cannot place coverage with different providers so they really need to provide good service. Exclusive agents are usually well trained on their company's products which aids in selling service over price.
Listed below is a short list of exclusive insurance agencies in Columbia willing to provide rate quotes.
Finding the right car insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just the quoted price. Any good agent in Columbia should know the answers to these questions.
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
- Will the company cover a rental car if your car is getting fixed?
- Do they get paid more for recommending certain coverages?
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
- How long have they been in business?
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- What companies can they write with?
- Do they have 24-hour customer assistance?
Consumers constantly see and hear ads for the lowest price auto insurance by companies like 21st Century, Allstate and State Farm. They all seem to seem to make the promise of big savings if you switch your policy.
But how can every company claim to save you money? Here is the trick they use.
All companies are able to cherry pick for a prospective insured that will be a good risk. For instance, a desirable insured could possibly be a married female, has no claims, and drives a car with an anti-theft system. Anyone who matches that profile receives the best car insurance rates in Columbia and most likely will pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
Consumers who fall short of these criteria must pay higher rates and this results in the customer buying from a different company. The ads state "people who switch" not "everyone that quotes" save that kind of money. That is how insurance companies can confidently make those claims.
This really illustrates why drivers should compare free Columbia auto insurance quotes often. It's just too difficult to predict the company that will have better car insurance rates than you're paying now.
Having a good grasp of a auto insurance policy can be of help when determining which coverages you need and the correct deductibles and limits. The coverage terms in a policy can be confusing and nobody wants to actually read their policy. Listed below are typical coverages offered by auto insurance companies.
Liability coverage provides protection from damage or injury you incur to other's property or people in an accident. Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You might see policy limits of 25/50/25 which means a $25,000 limit per person for injuries, $50,000 for the entire accident, and property damage coverage for $25,000. Alternatively, you may have one limit called combined single limit (CSL) which limits claims to one amount without having the split limit caps.
Liability coverage pays for claims like bail bonds, medical services, emergency aid and legal defense fees. How much liability coverage do you need? That is up to you, but you should buy as much as you can afford. South Carolina state minimum liability requirements are 25/50/25 but you should consider buying better liability coverage.
This coverage will pay to fix damage to your Forester caused by collision with an object or car. You will need to pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision insurance covers things like damaging your car on a curb, hitting a mailbox and crashing into a ditch. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from vehicles that are older. Another option is to choose a higher deductible on your Forester to get cheaper collision coverage.
Coverage for medical payments
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage pay for expenses for things like doctor visits, chiropractic care and pain medications. They can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. They cover all vehicle occupants in addition to being hit by a car walking across the street. Personal Injury Protection is only offered in select states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Uninsured and underinsured coverage
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage gives you protection from other motorists when they are uninsured or don't have enough coverage. It can pay for injuries to you and your family as well as your vehicle's damage.
Because many people have only the minimum liability required by law (which is 25/50/25), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. That's why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is very important. Normally your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are set the same as your liability limits.
Comprehensive insurance coverage pays for damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You need to pay your deductible first then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive can pay for things like fire damage, rock chips in glass, hitting a bird, falling objects and a tree branch falling on your vehicle. The most you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle's value is low it's not worth carrying full coverage.
We just presented quite a bit of information on how to shop for Subaru Forester insurance online. The key thing to remember is the more quotes you get, the higher your chance of finding inexpensive Columbia auto insurance quotes. You may even discover the best prices are with some of the lesser-known companies. Some small companies may often insure only within specific states and give getter rates than their larger competitors like State Farm or Progressive.
When getting Columbia auto insurance quotes online, make sure you don't buy less coverage just to save a little money. Too many times, an accident victim reduced collision coverage and learned later that it was a big mistake. The aim is to buy enough coverage at the best possible price, not the least amount of coverage.
To read more, feel free to visit these articles:
- Teen Driving Statistics (iihs.org)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Teenage Males in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Used Cars in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest South Carolina Car Insurance Quotes for Homeowners? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for a Chevrolet Silverado in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Car Insurance in Goose Creek, South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Teen Driving and Texting (State Farm)
- Side airbags reduce rollover fatalities (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Child Safety FAQ (iihs.org)