Are you tired of trying to find the cheapest Toyota Camry insurance in Charleston? Nobody that owns a car looks forward to paying premiums for auto insurance, especially when they know the cost is too high.
Shockingly, the vast majority of drivers renewed their policy with the same company for four years or more, and nearly the majority have never quoted rates to find cheap coverage. U.S. drivers can save hundreds of dollars each year just by getting comparison quotes, but most tend to underestimate how much savings they would realize if they switched to a cheaper policy.
Due to the large number of choices of insurance companies that have lower-cost insurance for a Toyota Camry in Charleston, it can be hard to locate the lowest cost auto insurance company.
It's a great practice to take a look at other company's rates on a regular basis because prices change frequently. Just because you had the lowest rates on Toyota Camry insurance in Charleston two years ago there is a good chance you can find better premium rates now. You'll find quite a bit of inaccurate information about Camry insurance on the internet, but we're going to give you some proven techniques to save money.
Finding the cheapest insurance coverage in Charleston is really not that difficult. Virtually every driver who is required by state law to have insurance stands a good chance to be able to lower their premiums. Nevertheless, South Carolina vehicle owners must learn the way companies sell online and apply this information to your search.
Just remember that comparing all the rates in your area gives you a better chance of getting a lower rate.
The following companies are our best choices to provide price quotes in South Carolina. If multiple companies are shown, it's highly recommended you visit two to three different companies in order to get a fair rate comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data assumes married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, and South Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, homeowner, and safe-driver. Premium amounts do not factor in specific garaging location which can alter auto insurance rates substantially.
Cautious Charleston drivers save money
The diagram below illustrates how violations and accident claims drive up Toyota Camry insurance rates for different insured age categories. The premiums are based on a single male driver, full physical damage coverage, $1,000 deductibles, and no discounts are applied.
Insurance is not optional but you don't have to overpay
Even though it can be expensive, insurance is required in South Carolina but also provides important benefits.
First, most states have minimum liability requirements which means state laws require specific limits of liability if you want to drive legally. In South Carolina these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you have a lien on your vehicle, more than likely the lender will make it a condition of the loan that you buy insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Toyota at a much higher rate and force you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
Third, insurance protects your car and your assets. It will also pay for most medical and hospital costs that are the result of an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are sued as the result of an accident. If you have damage to your Toyota as the result of the weather or an accident, your policy will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of buying enough insurance more than cancel out the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer is wasting up to $865 each year so it's very important to do a rate comparison at every renewal to ensure rates are competitive.
Save money with these nine discounts
Car insurance can cost a lot, but there could be available discounts that may help make it more affordable. A few discounts will be applied when you purchase, but some discounts are required to be asked for before you get the savings.
- Federal Government Employee - Having worked for a branch of the government may reduce rates when you quote Charleston auto insurance depending on your company.
- Low Miles Discount - Keeping the miles down on your Toyota could be rewarded with lower rates due to less chance of an accident.
- No Charge for an Accident - Not necessarily a discount, but some companies like State Farm and Progressive will turn a blind eye to one accident without the usual rate increase with the catch being you have to be claim-free prior to being involved in the accident.
- Discount for Good Grades - Performing well in school can get you a discount of up to 25%. You can use this discount normally up to age 25.
- Save with a New Car - Buying a new car instead of a used Camry can save you some money because newer vehicles are generally safer.
- Telematics Devices - Drivers that enable companies to look at driving patterns by using a telematic data system such as Snapshot from Progressive or Drivewise from Allstate might see lower rates if their driving habits are good.
- Use Seat Belts - Forcing all vehicle occupants to use a seat belt can save a little off the medical payments premium.
- Anti-lock Brakes - Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes prevent accidents and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Paperwork-free - A few insurance companies will give you a small discount just for signing your application on the web.
Drivers should understand that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire cost. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. So even though you would think having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, it's just not the way it works. Any amount of discount will positively reduce the amount you pay for coverage.
A list of companies and some of the discounts are included below.
- State Farm offers discounts including safe vehicle, multiple autos, Drive Safe & Save, defensive driving training, Steer Clear safe driver discount, and multiple policy.
- GEICO has discounts for anti-lock brakes, driver training, defensive driver, multi-policy, anti-theft, and membership and employees.
- Liberty Mutual offers premium reductions for hybrid vehicle, safety features, preferred payment discount, multi-policy, and newly retired.
- The Hartford has savings for bundle, driver training, good student, vehicle fuel type, defensive driver, and anti-theft.
- MetLife policyholders can earn discounts including multi-policy, accident-free, good student, good driver, claim-free, defensive driver
- Progressive discounts include multi-vehicle, online quote discount, good student, online signing, and multi-policy.
If you are trying to find affordable Toyota Camry insurance quotes, ask every prospective company which discounts can lower your rates. Some discounts might not be offered on policies in Charleston. To choose insurance companies with the best Toyota Camry insurance discounts in Charleston, click here.
Independent versus exclusive car insurance agents
Some people still like to talk to an insurance agent and that is a smart decision The best thing about comparing insurance prices online is you can get cheap rate quotes but still work with a licensed agent.
After completing this simple form, your insurance data is submitted to local insurance agents who will give you quotes for your coverage. You won't even need to drive around because quoted prices will be sent to you instantly. You can find better rates without the usual hassles of price shopping. If you wish to compare prices for a specific company, don't hesitate to go to their quote page and fill out their quote form.
Picking the best company shouldn't rely on just a cheap quote. Any good agent in Charleston should know the answers to these questions.
- Do you work with a CSR or direct with the agent?
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
- Do they write coverage based solely on cost?
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
- What discounts might you be missing?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- What companies can they write with?
When narrowing the list to find a good Charleston insurance agent, there are a couple of different agency structures and how they function. Auto insurance policy providers are classified as either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive.
Exclusive insurance agents generally can only insure with one company such as State Farm or Allstate. Exclusive agents cannot give you multiple price quotes so always compare other rates. Exclusive insurance agents are well schooled in insurance sales which can be an advantage.
Shown below are exclusive insurance agents in Charleston that are able to give comparison quotes.
Ryan Khan - State Farm Insurance Agent
4952 Centre Pointe Dr Ste 108 - North Charleston, SC 29418 - (843) 740-5003 - View Map
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies
Agents that choose to be independent are not locked into one company and that gives them the ability to insure with any number of different companies depending on which coverage is best. If you are not satisfied with one company, they simply move the coverage in-house and you can keep the same agent. When searching for an agent, we recommend you get some free quotes from a couple of independent agencies to ensure the widest selection of prices.
Below is a short list of independent insurance agents in Charleston willing to provide rate quotes.
Forbes Insurance Agency
111 S Ainsdale Dr - Charleston, SC 29414 - (800) 418-7442 - View Map
Coverages available on your policy
Learning about specific coverages of your insurance policy can be of help when determining which coverages you need for your vehicles. The terms used in a policy can be ambiguous and nobody wants to actually read their policy. These are the normal coverages offered by insurance companies.
Coverage for medical payments - Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage provide coverage for immediate expenses for doctor visits, nursing services, funeral costs and rehabilitation expenses. They can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance program or if you are not covered by health insurance. Medical payments and PIP cover you and your occupants as well as if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP is only offered in select states but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Collision coverages - Collision insurance will pay to fix damage to your Camry from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You will need to pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision can pay for things like backing into a parked car, colliding with another moving vehicle, sustaining damage from a pot hole, hitting a parking meter and crashing into a ditch. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. Another option is to bump up the deductible on your Camry to bring the cost down.
Comprehensive coverages - Comprehensive insurance pays for damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You need to pay your deductible first and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for claims like damage from flooding, a broken windshield, vandalism, damage from a tornado or hurricane and hail damage. The maximum amount a insurance company will pay at claim time is the cash value of the vehicle, so if it's not worth much more than your deductible it's probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Liability car insurance - Liability coverage protects you from damage or injury you incur to a person or their property. It consists of three limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. Your policy might show values of 25/50/25 that translate to $25,000 bodily injury coverage, $50,000 for the entire accident, and $25,000 of coverage for damaged property.
Liability coverage protects against things such as medical services, pain and suffering and bail bonds. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a decision to put some thought into, but buy higher limits if possible. South Carolina state law requires minimum liability limits of 25/50/25 but it's recommended drivers buy better liability coverage.
Uninsured and underinsured coverage - This coverage provides protection from other motorists when they are uninsured or don't have enough coverage. Covered losses include injuries to you and your family and damage to your Toyota Camry.
Because many people only carry the minimum required liability limits (25/50/25 in South Carolina), it doesn't take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is very important.
The best insurance company isn't always the cheapest
When trying to cut insurance costs, make sure you don't reduce coverage to reduce premium. In many cases, an insured cut full coverage only to regret that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. The aim is to buy a smart amount of coverage at an affordable rate, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
We covered many ways to save on Toyota Camry insurance in Charleston. The key concept to understand is the more companies you get prices for, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even discover the lowest priced car insurance comes from a lesser-known regional company. Smaller companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost compared to the large companies like Progressive and GEICO.
More tips and info about car insurance can be read in the articles below:
- What is Covered by an Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Drivers Under 25 in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- How Much are South Carolina Auto Insurance Quotes for a Subaru Outback? (FAQ)
- What is the Best Car Insurance in Simpsonville, SC? (FAQ)
- How Much are South Carolina Car Insurance Quotes for High Risk Drivers? (FAQ)
- Automakers compete to add autobraking (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- How Much Auto Coverage do I Need? (Insurance Information Institute)
- A Tree Fell on Your Car: Now What? (Allstate)
- No-Fault Auto Insurance Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)