I really doubt anyone likes having to buy auto insurance, particularly when it costs too dang much.
It's hard to fathom, but the vast majority of consumers in South Carolina have been with the same company for at least the last four years, and about 40% of consumers have never even compared rates from other companies. Consumers in the U.S. could save themselves nearly $850 a year just by getting comparison quotes, but they just don't understand the amount of money they would save if they just switched companies. Due to the large number of insurance companies to choose from that have cheaper insurance for a Volvo S80 in Columbia, it can be impossible to choose the right company.
Lowering your Volvo S80 auto insurance rates can be surprisingly simple. You just need to take a couple of minutes comparing rates to find the company with cheaper Columbia auto insurance quotes.
Getting rate quotes online is very simple and it makes it a waste of time to physically go to and from local Columbia insurance agencies. Shopping for auto insurance online makes this unnecessary unless you require the extra assistance that only a licensed agent can provide. If you prefer, some companies allow you to comparison shop online but buy the policy through an agent.
The companies in the list below are ready to provide price quotes in Columbia, SC. If more than one company is shown, it's highly recommended you visit several of them to get the most affordable price.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|S80 T6 AWD||$300||$598||$460||$28||$138||$1,524||$127|
|S80 Executive AWD||$232||$538||$358||$22||$108||$1,258||$105|
|S80 V8 AWD||$350||$770||$444||$26||$132||$1,722||$144|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data assumes single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and South Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-vehicle, claim-free, homeowner, and multi-policy. Table data does not factor in vehicle location which can decrease or increase auto insurance rates significantly.
Insurance premiums for males and females
The information below illustrates the comparison of Volvo S80 annual premium costs for male and female drivers. The information is based on no claims or driving violations, full physical damage coverage, $1,000 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are factored in.
How careless driving impacts auto insurance rates
The example below demonstrates how traffic citations and accidents can impact Volvo S80 auto insurance costs for different categories of driver ages. The information is based on a single male driver, comp and collision included, $100 deductibles, and no discounts are applied.
Score discounts on Columbia car insurance
Companies don't always publicize their entire list of discounts in a way that's easy to find, so the list below contains a few of the more well known and the harder-to-find discounts you could be receiving when you buy Columbia auto insurance online.
- Distant Student Discount - Older children who are enrolled in higher education away from home and don't have a car could get you a discount.
- Good Student Discount - Maintaining excellent grades can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. You can use this discount normally up to age 25.
- Discounts for Federal Employees - Having worked for a branch of the government may qualify for a discount when you quote Columbia auto insurance with select insurance companies.
- Renewal Discounts - Select larger companies give a discount for switching companies prior to the expiration date on your current S80 insurance policy. It's a savings of about 10%.
- Good Driver Discounts - Insureds who avoid accidents could pay up to 40% less than their less cautious counterparts.
- Passive Restraint Discount - Options like air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems could see savings of up to 25% or more.
- Accident-Free Discounts - Insureds with no claims or accidents have much lower rates in comparison to frequent claim filers.
- Driving Data Discount - People who choose to allow driving data submission to scrutinize when and where they use their vehicle by using a small device installed in their vehicle such as Progressive's Snapshot and State Farm's In-Drive may see discounts if they exhibit good driving behavior.
A quick disclaimer, most discounts do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So despite the fact that it appears you can get free auto insurance, you aren't that lucky.
Large car insurance companies and a partial list of their discounts are:
- State Farm may include discounts for Steer Clear safe driver discount, safe vehicle, multiple autos, multiple policy, and driver's education.
- Nationwide offers premium reductions for good student, family plan, Farm Bureau membership, accident-free, business or organization, defensive driving, and anti-theft.
- GEICO discounts include military active duty, multi-vehicle, emergency military deployment, multi-policy, anti-theft, membership and employees, and five-year accident-free.
- AAA may have discounts that include anti-theft, good driver, AAA membership discount, multi-policy, multi-car, and education and occupation.
- 21st Century has savings for teen driver, early bird, air bags, automatic seat belts, defensive driver, anti-lock brakes, and 55 and older.
- The Hartford includes discounts for defensive driver, bundle, driver training, vehicle fuel type, anti-theft, air bag, and good student.
If you need lower rates, check with all companies you are considering the best way to save money. Savings might not be offered on policies in Columbia. If you would like to choose from a list of providers that offer the discounts shown above in South Carolina, click here.
Insurance agent or online?
Many drivers just prefer to go talk to an agent. Most agents are highly skilled in risk management and give you someone to call. The biggest benefit of comparing rate quotes online is the fact that you can find lower premium rates and still have a local agent.
By using this short form, your information is submitted to companies in Columbia that provide free Columbia auto insurance quotes for your coverage. It's much easier because you don't need to contact any insurance agencies due to the fact that quote results will go immediately to you. If you want to compare rates from a particular provider, feel free to visit that company's website and submit a quote form there.
Choosing an insurer requires more thought than just a low price. Below are some questions you should ask.
- Is insurance their full-time profession?
- How much experience to they have in personal lines coverages?
- What company do they have the most business with?
- Does the company use OEM repair parts?
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
- How many companies do they write for?
- Do they get extra compensation for selling add-on coverages?
Choose an insurance agent wisely
When looking for a reliable insurance agent, it's important to understand the different agency structures that you can select. Insurance policy providers are classified as either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive. Either can sell insurance policies, but it's important to know the difference in the companies they write for because it can factor into your selection of an agent.
These type of agents are contracted to one company like Farmers Insurance, State Farm, or Allstate. These agents are not able to shop your coverage around so you might not find the best rates. They receive a lot of sales training on sales techniques which aids in selling service over price.
The following is a short list of exclusive insurance agencies in Columbia that can give you rate quotes.
Bill Weathersbee - State Farm Insurance Agent
9440 Two Notch Rd - Columbia, SC 29223 - (803) 788-7981 - View Map
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agencies can quote rates with many companies and that gives them the ability to insure with many different companies and get you the best rates possible. If your agent finds better pricing, the business is moved internally and you don't have to find a new agent.
If you are trying to find cheaper rates, you will definitely want to contact several independent insurance agents so that you can do a thorough price comparison.
The following is a short list of independent agents in Columbia that can give you price quote information.
Nationwide Insurance - Chichester Insurance Agency, Inc.
7340 Parklane Rd a - Columbia, SC 29223 - (803) 786-2224 - View Map
Upon receiving positive responses as well as offering an affordable quote, it's possible that you found an insurance agency that is reputable and can properly service your insurance policy.
Situations that may require an agent's advice
When it comes to choosing the best auto insurance coverage, there really is no "perfect" insurance plan. Everyone's situation is a little different.
Here are some questions about coverages that can help discover whether your personal situation may require specific advice.
- I don't drive much so do I pay less?
- Is my Volvo S80 covered if I use it for business?
- Do I have newly-acquired coverage?
- Are rock chip repairs covered?
- Am I covered if I have no license?
- Why do I need rental car insurance?
- Am I covered when renting a car or should I buy coverage from the car rental agency?
- Should I get collision insurance on every vehicle?
- Should I buy more coverage than the required South Carolina minimum liability coverage?
If you don't know the answers to these questions, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form. It's fast, doesn't cost anything and can help protect your family.
Informed Decisions Result in Lower Insurance Costs
Consumers need to have an understanding of the factors that come into play when calculating the rates you pay for auto insurance. When consumers understand what controls the rates you pay, this allows you to make educated decisions that can help you get much lower annual insurance costs. Multiple criteria are taken into consideration when quoting car insurance. Some are pretty understandable such as your driving history, but some are not as apparent like your continuous coverage or your commute time.
- Safer vehicles means better auto insurance rates - Vehicles with good safety scores get lower rates. Safe vehicles reduce occupant injuries and fewer injuries translates into savings for insurance companies passed on to you as lower rates.
- With age comes lower prices - Youthful drivers in South Carolina have been known to be less responsible in a vehicle so auto insurance rates are higher. More experienced drivers are more cautious drivers, file fewer claims, and tend to be get fewer driving tickets.
- Little extras can really add up - There are a lot of extra coverages that you can buy on your S80 policy. Coverage for things like rental car coverage, death and dismemberment, and Farm Bureau memberships may be wasting your money. These coverages may sound good when buying your policy, but if you have no use for them remove them from your policy.
- Use but don't abuse your insurance - If you're an insured who likes to file claims you can pretty much guarantee either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Companies in South Carolina award cheaper rates to people that do not abuse their auto insurance. Your insurance policy is intended for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- Affects performance affects auto insurance prices - The type of vehicle you need to insure makes a significant difference in your rates. The most favorable rates will generally be found on lower cost passenger models, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors. Since the Volvo S80 is considered a luxury sedan, rates will be more compared to average rates in Columbia.
- Gender and car insurance costs - Statistics have proven that women are safer drivers than men. This data doesn't prove that females are better at driving than males. Both genders cause fender benders at a similar rate, but the men have accidents that have higher claims. Not only are claims higher, but men get higher numbers of serious violations like DUI and reckless driving.
- Bundle policies with the same company - Lots of insurers apply discounts for people who consolidate policies with them. It's known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you're getting this discount you may still want to compare other company rates to ensure the best deal. Consumers may save money even if you insure with multiple companies
- Volvo S80 insurance loss statistics - Insurance companies use past insurance losses when they calculate premium rates for each model. Models that the statistics show to have higher losses will cost more to insure.
The data below shows the insurance loss data used by companies for Volvo S80 vehicles. For each coverage category, the claim probability for all vehicles averaged together is equal to 100. Percentage numbers below 100 indicate better than average losses, while values over 100 indicate more frequent claims or an increased likelihood of larger losses.
Car Insurance Loss Data for Volvo S80 Models
Specific Volvo Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Volvo S80 4dr 2WD 82 Volvo S80 4dr 4WD 93
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Insurance is not optional but you don't have to overpay
Even though it can be expensive, buying insurance is a good idea for several reasons.
- The majority of states have minimum liability requirements which means state laws require a specific level of liability protection in order to be legal. In South Carolina these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your vehicle with a loan, more than likely the lender will require that you carry insurance to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you default on your policy, the bank may insure your Volvo for a much higher rate and force you to reimburse them for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance safeguards both your Volvo S80 and your personal assets. It will also provide coverage for hospital and medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, will also pay to defend you if you are sued as the result of your driving. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of insuring your S80 definitely exceed the cost, especially for larger claims. Today the average American driver overpays as much as $855 a year so we recommend shopping around at least once a year to ensure rates are competitive.
Smart consumers save more
You just read some good ideas how you can reduce Volvo S80 insurance car insurance rates online in Columbia. It's most important to understand that the more rate comparisons you have, the better chance you'll have of finding affordable Columbia auto insurance quotes. You may even find the lowest priced insurance comes from some of the lesser-known companies.
Some companies do not offer online rate quotes and these small, regional companies provide coverage only through independent insurance agents. More affordable insurance in Columbia is available both online and from local insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best rate selection.
As you shop your coverage around, it's a bad idea to buy less coverage just to save a little money. In many cases, someone sacrificed uninsured motorist or liability limits only to regret at claim time that it was a big error on their part. Your aim should be to get the best coverage possible at the best possible price, but do not skimp to save money.
More tips and info about insurance can be read at these sites:
- Protecting Teens from Drunk Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap South Carolina Auto Insurance Quotes for Good Students? (FAQ)
- What is the Best Cheap Auto Insurance in Socastee, SC? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Postal Workers in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for a Kia Forte in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Retired Military in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers with a DUI in South Carolina? (FAQ)
- What is Full Coverage? (Allstate)
- Five Mistakes to Avoid (Insurance Information Institute)